Don’t try this at home - Instantly broke my new 10TB Ironwolf Pro

So I was about to upgrade my home server setup with 3 new 10TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro (ST10000NE0008).

I neatly installed them into the disk bay along with some cable management. I then remembered I had to write down the serial numbers of each disk... ironically in case of warranty claim or data rescue. 

So I lifted up the disk bay and I guess the cable management was a bit too tight so the sata cable ripped out the port on the disk.

Too bad the warranty doesn’t cover stupidity. 
I have however reached out to Seagate to see if they can do some goodwill or if they can at least sell me a pcb controller.

If anyone has a broken Ironwolf 10TB but a functioning pcb please let me know if it is for sale! :) 

Also, if you know a bit more about these disks, advice on compatible pcb controllers would be much appreciated!

00253E1A-4CF0-46D0-96BE-54FA276C987C.jpeg

I wonder whether a PCB controller from a lower capacity IronWolf would work? That way you'd sacrifice maybe a 2TB instead of a 10TB drive?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

That's one thing I've always been iffy about with SATA connections on drives. If you make a mistake they're really not that durable.

Did you have any data on the disk? That PCB contains the map to the data. If you replace it you'll have to run data recovery software to relocate everything on the drive.

2 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

I wonder whether a PCB controller from a lower capacity IronWolf would work? That way you'd sacrifice maybe a 2TB instead of a 10TB drive?

I may get corrected here but I have relative confidence when I say the drive would report as a 2TB because what tells the computer the drives capacity is some sort of firmware located on that PCB. If it did work physically he'd have to know how to reflash the drive with firmware that would report the 10TB capacity.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

That's one thing I've always been iffy about with SATA connections on drives. If you make a mistake they're really not that durable.

Did you have any data on the disk? That PCB contains the map to the data. If you replace it you'll have to run data recovery software to relocate everything on the drive.

Disk is brand new which I don’t know if it makes me more happy or sad. :D 

I didn’t notice it had ripped it until I was about to build a ZFS raid pool and I could only see 2/3 disks.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I may get corrected here but I have relative confidence when I say the drive would report as a 2TB because what tells the computer the drives capacity is some sort of firmware located on that PCB. If it did work physically he'd have to know how to reflash the drive with firmware that would report the 10TB capacity.

Yeah I’m fairly certain a PCB replacement would have to be from a disk with the same capacity as the original. Unless one knows how to flash it. 

Plan B seeing as all pins seems to be intact will be something like this:

3 minutes ago, ubuntmuch? said:

Disk is brand new which I don’t know if it makes me more happy or sad. :D 

I didn’t notice it had ripped it until I was about to build a ZFS raid pool and I could only see 2/3 disks.

I'd say it has a silver lining. At least you aren't potentially losing a pile of data with the disk.

If you could source even another broken PCB you could possibly swap the connector with a hot air rework station.

• 2 weeks later...

So after reaching out to many national PC component vendors who actually responded after a few days although none of them were able to locate any spares even to sell, I've decided to attempt a fix using an adapter (ordered this https://ebay.us/CvM6EF) like in this tutorial: https://youtu.be/AiEHe1Xcm8k

The part will take roughly 3 weeks to get delivered as it'll get stuck in customs for a while so I have plenty of time to still look for a PCB replacement.

No response yet from Seagate, I doubt they'll ever reply. 
Tried writing up a nice story for them on their FB messenger but they advised me to contact support or make a warranty claim.

Please feel free to suggest any alternative method if you think it's safer and/or easier to resolve this problem.