Experimental 120FPS Game Streaming!

nicklmg
19 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

it being sponsored means that any critisism of the product is not allowed to be shown in the video or given the green light by the company sponsoring in order to make the video believable and neutral. 

Right, but I doubt Linus would actually mislead his viewers with lies and misrepresentation.

To me this video (sponsored or not) shows a piece of software that makes it a one stop shop for everything with almost no work, and it's free. Will I use it? No, should you use it? Prob not. Most people won't stream games using a 3rd party software when most platforms already can do so for most of their needs. The only reason I see anyone streaming a game from their computer is for VR (not shown) and on the go (also not shown, aka visiting family). If anything this "sponsored" video shows how Linus's network throughout his house is likely better than most 🙄 Because lets be real that is the real latency issue beyond software limitations which are almost no longer a real factor since most GPUs can do it with ease now.

To me this video should have stated sponsored in the title, however it was still a interesting video and was worth the watch. Should it have had more than a simple "test" on a iPad and a phone? Yes. Now I would like a honest opinion from LMG, esp considering it is free, however that might take some times depending on contract agreements etc. 

Also if Linus was not allowed to inject his own personal opinions he would not have been allowed to of said

This is a game where I'm definitely more sensitive to input lag than I am in others, and I think the guidance that has been with us up until this time for streaming games still remains, when it comes to Twitch reaction competitive shooters, it's not the greatest.

Which is a negative throughout the whole streaming industry, no claims they are better or worst, however the general warning to not expect greatness.

20 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

you should at the very least take anything linus says in this video with a warehouse of salt or not believe anything he said and look it up yourself. 

And this advise shouldn't be taken on any media channel, paid or not? What they get results wise doesn't mean that is what you will get. Considering this software is free, for those looking into such a function it's not like you are losing money in getting it. Their software should be relatively safe to use along with your information considering they are sitting on 3.5 million in venture capital...

12 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

yes it is.

What are you still doing here then? Every video on LTT is sponsored 🤣 Why discriminate between a paid video showing off a product from those who make it vs a video that has a 30 second window for the same thing that could be less true than the actual video showcasing the product by the people who made it?

13 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

Seeing as you didn't even try to guess, I'm gonna use this site to hint at some numbers.

If this is true, then Linus will be rolling in dough from that view.

I think the user has to watch the whole ad in order to get money at the very least. So if the ad is a minute long and the user was like "Nope" Linus won't see a single cent, if payout is CTR based then the amount would be even less since most people won't click on half of the ads on youtube. One of my ad blocker add ons seem to be disabled by google for "insert reason here" that I have not checked on yet, instead of viewing ads or outright bypassing them I actually see a grayed out ad with a "watch ad" button, and a skip option (auto initiates at 15 seconds). So far it has been mostly Manscape one random company and recently Hyundai, all of which I and likely many (at least for the car) have no interest in. Skipping clicking or even watching all videos isn't making LMG rich by any standards, their 30 second ad spots make more per video than a whole weeks of ads likely, even if google was able to force ads onto everyone.

Linus himself has stated under half of the revenue came from 3 sources and adsense looks like about 35% of the half so about 18% of all revenue comes from adsense. Likely lower now. Linus could scrap sponsor videos and adsense and LMG would not go belly up. However while that would make people like Ashley happy, he would likely have to cut back his team, bye bye Colton :P, and likely every person in the last 1.5 years of hiring... For what? 5-15% of the viewers who complain "Sponsor" wasn't in the title, or if the title was too long for notifications "not at the beginning of the title"? Looking at the comments on Youtube, at least one person used this video to stare at Linus's cat staring out of the window 😂

That said I'm sure one could request dropout numbers for sponsored videos in the past 6 month etc before committing because if 90% of those views are dropouts why spend the money when you could just ask them to review it for free, esp with hardware? Reality is it's prob only 15% but no higher than 25%, which is a really small number for both the sponsor and LMG to really worry about.

21 hours ago, Arkosh said:

so uh. why dont just use steam link/steam remote play?

Nvidia shield service + Moonlight works too. (for systems with an Nvidia card)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

19 minutes ago, Stonelesscutter said:

Just re-posting this since the thread seems to have derailed into a debate on advertisements.

Could this (Rainway) be used to stream a game running on a gaming PC to my laptop, while my wife is using the same PC to watch something on the TV which is hooked up as the PC's primary display?

If not, does anyone know if/how that could be done?

Negative, these kinds of programs just encode and stream what is on your primary display, I suppose you could hook up another display, but you would then need to go through the hassle of going into every game an changing your audio outs, and unless your system has 8+ cores and 2 GPUs you are going to run into major slow downs and stuttering, you would also want both systems to be hooked up via Ethernet. Another alternative is you could just purchase a *Roku for ~30 USD and have your wife stream her videos off of that while you stream your games to the laptop.

*Included a link from Amazon US as most of our users are from the USA

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

One more thing to note, I imagine that most of the lag that Linus is observing it probably sourced from his WiFi connection, if he connected to Ethernet he would be met with impressive results.

23 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Right, but I doubt Linus would actually mislead his viewers with lies and misrepresentation.

i have addressed this before in this thread somewhere, but i'll mention it again .he's not lying, but he is potentially not telling you things. big difference. 

24 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

What are you still doing here then? Every video on LTT is sponsored 🤣 Why discriminate between a paid video showing off a product from those who make it vs a video that has a 30 second window for the same thing that could be less true than the actual video showcasing the product by the people who made it?

there is a massive difference between bveing sponsored by the manufacturer of the product you are showing and having a sponsor that is in no way affiliated with the manufacturer of the product shown in the video. 

if you don't understand that i suggest you read up on this. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

Whos the hot red-head?

His name is Linus.

11 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

there is a massive difference between bveing sponsored by the manufacturer of the product you are showing and having a sponsor that is in no way affiliated with the manufacturer of the product shown in the video. 

if you don't understand that i suggest you read up on this. 

If you think of it, is it? Is it really? The difference is 0 less time frame and quantity. You either get one long sponsor spot, or 2 short ones. As long as LMG states it before hand  and keeps to their policies which they have stated to us in the past no one in either case can complain, as there is still no difference, a sponsored video is a sponsored video. Yes one is promoting a video long about one product, but really if someone sends LMG a demo item to review and they do, in a way it is a sponsored video because that item was given to LMG in hopes of a good review, and yes many do send guidelines on the review of the product. So if LMG 100% agrees on the review notes sent by the company, while they never received a financial sum in cash, if they get to keep the item in question, they in fact got paid in products by the company, even if LMG finds the product to be pure shit, they still got paid in products by the company. Only videos that are not sponsored by the company giving LMG anything is when LMG has to go out and buy from their own cash the item(typically most top x items for x amount series), or if the item has to be sent back(like prototypes), anything else can be seen as a sponsored video, not by cash, but by trade. Simply put "we send you item, if you review you get to keep item"(last part can be excluded, or found out at a later date), LMG reviews, "LMG gets to keep item", item becomes a form of payment threw trade by reviewing the item. That item then holds no financial value till/if sold. So reality a showcase is only one sponsor spot, where as a typical video with a demo/sent product could have 3+ 😂

I need not to read up on anything ;)

11 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

i have addressed this before in this thread somewhere, but i'll mention it again .he's not lying, but he is potentially not telling you things. big difference. 

Lying and not telling are both deceptive, and like I've stated and shown, Linus isn't going to go out of his way to screw us over. This video Linus pointed out a few things one of which they will be working on to improve for Android, the other is Apple products being pricks as per usual in some cases. He showed latency which like I said is more his networking than anything, he also made known how they have not made the miracle streaming setup so you can play your fav twitch game in PvP online deathmatch style. So while being a showcase he didn't mislead by not mentioning things that people wanted to know, in fact he did just that. Like I said the uses for streaming imo is for VR in a different room and on the road, however neither where shown. One is easy and the other may not have been at the time of recording for him, however just because VR is "technically" easy just like how it is "technically" easy for NASA to put people on the moon, it doesn't mean it isn't time consuming or really that easy at all (VR is a finicky child at times), time he simply didn't have perhaps so he focused on other aspects of the product, or just made the video shorter, or maybe their program doesn't support VR due to the known issues.

If you don't want to watch sponsored content inside a video simply stop watching all LMG videos, less CSF. Because the difference between a sponsored video vs a video with 2 sponsor spots is just time, and number of products thrown into your face. Sure the actual video is not the item sponsored with the 2 spots, however...

On 6/11/2020 at 3:54 PM, Ashley xD said:

when i go to your channel i want information not advertising. 

Yes I know you are talking about the "showcase", but I still stand by my words, why discriminate? Advertisement is still advertisement, the difference is you can easily (without making a huge fuss about it on the forums) click away from the video once you hear "thanks to... for sponsoring this video", instead of getting hammered with 2 sponsor spots one before the content you want to watch and the other before the end of the video assuming you want to watch the very end. That said if you always click away once that line is stated you can never watch junkyard wars ever again, among some other videos that are sponsored by companies for various reasons, like techquickie.

Simply put if you don't like "sponsored by" just stop watching all content from any youtuber trying to profit off your view, because even youtube Ads are sponsored spots technically 😉 Just "somewhat" out of the hands of the creator when they check off the ad revenue option before the video goes live. (options are available, but can be limited).

I treat all ads the same, if I don't like them I skip them, hence ad blockers, I simply don't like most ads. Youtube ones I skip, in video ones i typically do as well, esp freshbooks squarespace etc, however if the ad has a new twist or has been known to be funny or entertaining I'll watch it for just that entertainment. Because hearing Linus talking about how your wife won't steal your shaver because of low vibrations is one of many reasons why I watch the in video ads. So like I said while this was a showcase it wasn't a bad one, it was a little dull but rather interesting, you want to see a bad one watch Bixby.

I have a Samsung A70, its 164.3mm tall which is 6mm more than the max Razer recommends for the Kishi. If anyone has a Kishi could they possibly let me know if it seems like those .6mm could be "stretched" in there?

On 6/11/2020 at 8:22 PM, lewdicrous said:

Seeing as you didn't even try to guess, I'm gonna use this site to hint at some numbers.

If this is true, then Linus will be rolling in dough from that view.

Factoring in ad blockers and skipping it's closer to $0.002 per view for us. That's a fifth of a cent and that includes YouTube premium view, which are worth MUCH more than ad-supported ones.

Also, it's been lower this year due to Q1 (always slow) and global pandemic (we think).

On 6/12/2020 at 6:37 AM, williamcll said:

steam streaming only works locally

Incorrect. It has worked over the Internet for a year now just fine.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Factoring in ad blockers and skipping it's closer to $0.002 per view for us. That's a fifth of a cent and that includes YouTube premium view, which are worth MUCH more than ad-supported ones.

Also, it's been lower this year due to Q1 (always slow) and global pandemic (we think).

Lower than what I would've ever guessed by several fold.. explains a lot now, tbh.

On 6/11/2020 at 1:31 PM, ryao said:

Am I the only one concerned about how a commercial company whose only product is free streaming software is trying to compete with an OSS project that does the same thing?

https://moonlight-stream.org

Where do they get the money funding this? Why should we trust their closed source software to not be malicious in some way when we already have OSS doing this?

Hello! I am a Discord and support moderator for Rainway. Rainway is a startup with VC funding. Rainway also has enterprise customers and is exploring a premium subscription model for the future. We continue to focus on building our community and enhancing our service. If you have any additional questions, feel free to join our Discord server, or reply to this thread. Thank you!

Rainway Discord and support moderator

Mav#6479

(Note: I am a volunteer moderator for Rainway. I am not employed by Rainway, and I do not receive compensation of any kind for my time and/or services.)

• 3 weeks later...