Spanned Volumes With Striped Wear?

So, I'm having a thing right now... I've got four SSDs that I want represented as one volume. There are obviously many ways to configure them, but I don't need parity and I wouldn't be bothered by single drive speeds either.

That being said, I do want to have the drives worn somewhat evenly. Or at least, I'd prefer a system where all the load doesn't get slapped onto one drive until it's full and floods over into the other drives. Obviously, I could go with a striped configuration, acting as a software RAID0, but of course, faults with any of the drives will kill the entire array, more or less. So, is there a way of configuring the volume in a way that it stores data somewhat evenly between the drives, but without striping? -- Note that the data being placed on these drives isn't inherently critical and losing it really isn't the worst thing in the world. It's only 2TB worth... But less inconvenience is certainly better.

Any ideas? BTW, thanks in advance. I'd be curious to see what the options might be, if any.

What os?

If this is windows, just use storage spaces, it will do all that you want. It will split data between the drives, and you can setup mixed raid levels if you wan.t

It sounds like maybe you want RAID 1+0 aka RAID 10. It does stripe, but it also mirrors, so you can fault a drive without losing the entire array. It does cut your capacity in half due to the mirroring, and requires a minimum of 4 drives.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What os?

If this is windows, just use storage spaces, it will do all that you want. It will split data between the drives, and you can setup mixed raid levels if you wan.t

I'm on Ubuntu, but I'm not opposed to using Windows. I didn't know it could do that! Holy cow 😮

3 minutes ago, fordy_rounds said:

It sounds like maybe you want RAID 1+0 aka RAID 10. It does stripe, but it also mirrors, so you can fault a drive without losing the entire array. It does cut your capacity in half due to the mirroring, and requires a minimum of 4 drives.

Thanks! I hadn't actually considered RAID10 for this, but it does actually get me much closer to a reasonable medium!

10 minutes ago, Schykle said:

I'm on Ubuntu, but I'm not opposed to using Windows. I didn't know it could do that! Holy cow 😮

If your on linux, you can use just one of the normal raid system, Id probably go zfs here, or you can go with something like mdadm or btrfs aswell.