Programming Competitions

RobL

Would anyone like to have programming competitions??

The idea has been brought up in other threads but I think we should really organize these if we want them to happen.

I was mainly wondering:

1) Would you like to do this

2) What format would you like to do? (ex. Whoever solves the problem first, have a time limit and limited languages to get your submissions in by and then a group, or the entire forum, chooses winner etc.)

3) Should there be different comps for different skill levels (ex. Beginner, expert)

4) If anyone would like to run this and or judge it

So ya I think this could be a very fun way to bring more traffic to the programming sub-forum and also it would encourage more ppl to start coding and learn new stuff!

Ok, So I would like to be one of the judges, I know C#, Java and Python so I can judge programs in those languages. What we should do is have a cloud folder dedicated to the programs and have the people upload them and the judges will review them after a week or so.

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

this right here... is something i could try

also fell free to post any languages you know thats way we can make the competions so that not a majority of people need to learn a new language!!

Myself, I know C(very in depth), C++, PERL, and Visual Basics
I want to learn Java.
Also I no HTML but thats more web dev

id say, rather than do competitions do challenges for people.... start basic and make it more hard for people

Character artist in the Games industry.

I think we should get a moderator in the programming sub forum so they can create a folder with in the sub forum that is dedicated to these challenges so it wouldn't spam the homepage. Does anyone know a moderator that would be down for this job? I don't think we could get it our selves.

The old forum.

id say, rather than do competitions do challenges for people.... start basic and make it more hard for people

Yeah. I agree. Many people live in different time zones. So it will be difficult to keep time based competitions. Challenges would be fun.

I think we should get a moderator in the programming sub forum so they can create a folder with in the sub forum that is dedicated to these challenges so it wouldn't spam the homepage. Does anyone know a moderator that would be down for this job? I don't think we could get it our selves.

We can request for one here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10688-official-forums-features-suggestions/

I'm just starting Java (And programming as a whole) but I'd be interested in the beginner level competitions.

lol I dont think we could get our selves either :/ would b cool though :P

Yeah. I agree. Many people live in different time zones. So it will be difficult to keep time based competitions. Challenges would be fun.

I dont think time zones would really b an issue just like you must have your submission in during this week or something like that you no? wouldnt be to tough to figure out also I feel like if its a competition people would take it more seriously then if its just a challenge. As well it would be sweet if like Slick (he has programming experience) judged it and then like talked about it on the live stream!!

the way i think it should be done is have like a time slot where we're like okay Challenge on! First to turn in 3 pts. 2nd 2 pts ect... (if its correct)

Think making a points system using like a google spreadsheet would make it more fun! and if you miss one nbd just get in the next one.

OR maybe 1st place 4 pts. 2nd 3 pts. 3rd 2 pts. Anyone who turns one in gets 1 pt by default.

any thoughts on this?

the way i think it should be done is have like a time slot where we're like okay Challenge on! First to turn in 3 pts. 2nd 2 pts ect... (if its correct)

Think making a points system using like a google spreadsheet would make it more fun! and if you miss one nbd just get in the next one.

OR maybe 1st place 4 pts. 2nd 3 pts. 3rd 2 pts. Anyone who turns one in gets 1 pt by default.

any thoughts on this?

I hear ya but its kinda like ya your finshed the problem and it works but how stable is it, does it look nice, is it slow, can i crash it simply by putting a improper value in it. I think your points system isnt bad but like I still feel that a juding process would be btr then just like u finished first and it works so u win u no??

well yeah. im saying 1st one to submit / is judged / then they get the 4 pts,

I was just suggesting how one would acquire points after the judging!

I would so like to be apart of this, but knowledge is little in programming or at least where I want it to be by now.

I say do challenges that way people who are beginner can improve and we can all help each other. It all might depends on how many here are at a beginners level(like my self) and those who have passed that stage.

Perhaps, you can setup a poll to gather that information.

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

I could go for this. I sounds like it could be fun.

I have made a folder on my sky drive, can someone please try to upload a test file? like test.txt or something.

http://sdrv.ms/103FzQb

The old forum.

There is an automated system for managing programming contests on the Web called Mooshak. People can submit their solutions for a given "contest" (eventually more than once, with some mandatory time interval between submissions or a limit) and get instant feedback on the result and any errors that occurred (time or memory limit exceeded, program crashed, ...). It will not, however, judge code quality and clarity (but it can judge based on the size, i believe). Some of my college projects were submitted trough this platform.

This requires a Linux box (with internet connection obviously), Apache and Tcl (more information on the webpage).

Here is the link: http://mooshak.dcc.fc.up.pt/

There is an automated system for managing programming contests on the Web called Mooshak. People can submit their solutions for a given "contest" (eventually more than once, with some mandatory time interval between submissions or a limit) and get instant feedback on the result and any errors that occurred (time or memory limit exceeded, program crashed, ...). It will not, however, judge code quality and clarity (but it can judge based on the size, i believe). Some of my college projects were submitted trough this platform.

This requires a Linux box (with internet connection obviously), Apache and Tcl (more information on the webpage).

Here is the link: http://mooshak.dcc.fc.up.pt/

I think this would be good that way we can weed out any that just out right dont work then judge the ones that do u no

Ok, Who has a linux box we can use? I can probably create a server VM and with server on it and turn it on on Saturday to collect submissions.

The old forum.

Why not use some versioning system such as GitHub?

Why not use some versioning system such as GitHub?

Because we want submissions of everyone's code, not to work on the same project.

The old forum.

Ok, Who has a linux box we can use? I can probably create a server VM and with server on it and turn it on on Saturday to collect submissions.

I think alot of ppl have a linux box (or at least they should!!) if there rly into programming :)

Also i think git hub would be a very good system for this git is awesome!! I've used it a ton on Linux but nvr on windows lol but ya git is sweet

I think alot of ppl have a linux box (or at least they should!!) if there rly into programming :)

Also i think git hub would be a very good system for this git is awesome!! I've used it a ton on Linux but nvr on windows lol but ya git is sweet

I thought git was a service for working on projects?

The old forum.

iv got a netbook with fedora running on it... nothing special about it but im using it to right some software that i want to work with OUYA... however cause i want to make the programming easier for the game engine im writing some software for that first that should sister with it... i find my self using windows for it allot though which i dont like cause it feels buggier with programming at this level

iv got a netbook with fedora running on it... nothing special about it but im using it to right some software that i want to work with OUYA... however cause i want to make the programming easier for the game engine im writing some software for that first that should sister with it... i find my self using windows for it allot though which i dont like cause it feels buggier with programming at this level

What? Are you saying you have a Linux box you can contribute to this with?

The old forum.

no i have a netbook with fedora... the system is 2gb ram, intel atom and a 35gb ssd nothing special