AMD FX 8120 in 2020?

I found an old PC lying around in my parents house that has an AMD FX 8120 in it. It’s from around 2012 so obviously it’s not going to be incredible performance but does anyone know how good of a chip this was new (2012 was long before I got into PC gaming). I’m thinking of throwing in an old GTX 960 I have lying around into the machine and giving it to a friend for some very mild gaming. Thoughts?

It will play many games within reason, just don't expect amazing results. Depending on the games, it shoukd he adequate and I think the 960 is pretty well matched.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

if youre able to get over 60fps in games it would have the potential to even be unplayable because of frametimes

a 960 would easy push most games at 60 at 1080p with decent settings, but for a friend for mild gaming it would be a good treat

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

I had a 8150 at 5ghz with a rx480 and I can say  that at 1080p thats the max gpu you want with it. If you go 1440p Probbaly a gtx 1070 . You will get 60 fps e most games without an issue. Single core games you will strugle. The rest will be fine.

3 hours ago, aaron.exe said:

I found an old PC lying around in my parents house that has an AMD FX 8120 in it. It’s from around 2012 so obviously it’s not going to be incredible performance but does anyone know how good of a chip this was new (2012 was long before I got into PC gaming). I’m thinking of throwing in an old GTX 960 I have lying around into the machine and giving it to a friend for some very mild gaming. Thoughts?

It was pretty bad in 2012, it hasn't aged well. And it outputs a ton of heat if you overclock it, which is the only thing that makes it decent. It is easily outperformed by sub 80$ part nowadays.. I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to gift the system and spend 0$ on it, maybe. But for anything else, big nope. You'd be more lucky to just flip it over ebay at that point.

19 hours ago, 3rrant said:

It was pretty bad in 2012, it hasn't aged well. And it outputs a ton of heat if you overclock it, which is the only thing that makes it decent. It is easily outperformed by sub 80$ part nowadays.. I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to gift the system and spend 0$ on it, maybe. But for anything else, big nope. You'd be more lucky to just flip it over ebay at that point.

Umm he has a GTX 960 and he is asking if he should put it in the put in this pc that he found. Also a ryzen 3 3100 can outperform this cpu but it's a 960 ur not going to notice the difference and the fps are going to be the same