Apple will announce move to ARM-based Macs later this month, says report

r3d0c
2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

If you're not willing to have a serious answer, then why spam the thread.

It's very simple. If a company doesn't want to repair their products, then they should have them shipped back to them, and their own cost.

No, if a company doesn't want to fix their products (after warranty expires) they should allow someone else to do it.  if a company doesn't want to fix a product that is in warranty and use BS excuses like water ingress then we should all be telling everyone to avoid that company.   Certainly we should not defending the behavior or trying to down play it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

If you're not willing to have a serious answer, then why spam the thread.

It's very simple. If a company doesn't want to repair their products, then they should have them shipped back to them, and their own cost.

something that already happens, even out of warranty at your cost.

What you are proposing, lifetime warranty and credit for return is flat out ridiculous 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I call BS on that. Every Android device I have owned with the exception of the OnePlus 3T has pretty much become dead do to no software support after 2 years. Most Android devices you're lucky to get one to two OS updates, after that your pretty much screwed. Yes, you might get security updates for a time but device makers don't want to support devices for long term. Apple provides like what 4 to 5 years of support on their platform? 

and in using a V10, a now 5 year old phone, works great, not a single app as support issues, and the only thing i had to do was change the battery a year ago to make it feel fresh again

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

No, if a company doesn't want to fix their products (after warranty expires) they should allow someone else to do it.  if a company doesn't want to fix a product that is in warranty and use BS excuses like water ingress then we should all be telling everyone to avoid that company.   Certainly we should not defending the behavior or trying to down play it.

I'm not sure we're on the same page here.

If a device is under warranty they should be repairing it. Period. I don't care if it's a consumable part like the battery, or if the customer used a shitty after-market charger/cable and that somehow killed the device.

If a device is out of warranty than that is "officially" when they stop supporting it, and thus if they are not willing to stock parts for it, they shouldn't block others from salvaging the parts from devices that are also broken but in different ways. What happens however is that third party repair shops don't/can't get first-party parts so they buy third party parts that are made with either recycled official parts or counterfeit parts, so that device becomes a ticking time bomb for when it sets that house on fire and Apple gets blamed.

Look, I completely see where Apple is coming from in how they have been dealing with repairs thus far, but it's mostly of their own self-imposed engineering stupidity more than anything. If the phone or laptop just had a standard replaceable battery, then none of these issues would even exist. Then the blame for setting the house on fire comes back to the idiot consumer who saved 10 cents on buying a counterfeit charger or battery. Yet to whine and complain that this is something only Apple does, is missing the point that everyone does it, and everyone only started doing it after Apple did, and Apple is not the only one to do stuff like this. Vehicle manufacturers have been doing this since the 80's, and it's all cribbed from how we've been letting vehicle dealerships repair automobiles. Once the factory warranty runs out on a vehicle, you run it into the ground and it's resale value is zero.

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Doubt its to the level Apple provides

notifications: check

pictures: check

phone calls: check

browser syncing tabs and activity: check

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Might want to fix the quotes, I didn't say those things.

grabbed from the wrong post, don't know if i can fix it now since the post i need to quote from is on the previous page ☹️

16 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I'm not sure we're on the same page here.

If a device is under warranty they should be repairing it. Period. I don't care if it's a consumable part like the battery, or if the customer used a shitty after-market charger/cable and that somehow killed the device.

Too bad apple aren't even doing that.  It's water damage so not covered by warranty.  BS BS BS.

If a device is out of warranty than that is "officially" when they stop supporting it, and thus if they are not willing to stock parts for it, they shouldn't block others from salvaging the parts from devices that are also broken but in different ways. What happens however is that third party repair shops don't/can't get first-party parts so they buy third party parts that are made with either recycled official parts or counterfeit parts, so that device becomes a ticking time bomb for when it sets that house on fire and Apple gets blamed.

Apple are doing their damnedest not to stock parts anyway, warranty or not, again, if a the company doesn't want to stock parts for their products then it is purely anti consumer to not allow others to make or sell those parts.

Look, I completely see where Apple is coming from in how they have been dealing with repairs thus far, but it's mostly of their own self-imposed engineering stupidity more than anything. If the phone or laptop just had a standard replaceable battery, then none of these issues would even exist. Then the blame for setting the house on fire comes back to the idiot consumer who saved 10 cents on buying a counterfeit charger or battery. Yet to whine and complain that this is something only Apple does, is missing the point that everyone does it, and everyone only started doing it after Apple did, and Apple is not the only one to do stuff like this. Vehicle manufacturers have been doing this since the 80's, and it's all cribbed from how we've been letting vehicle dealerships repair automobiles. Once the factory warranty runs out on a vehicle, you run it into the ground and it's resale value is zero.

BS.  you are now blaming the consumer for buying a cheap battery when apple (in all likelihood) refused to sell him one and tried to make him buy a new product.

Stop trying to deflect from the problems raised.  I don't care who else does what, that is a discussion in itself about that company (if you want to talk about androids problems then start a thread about android),  this is about apple refusing to allow their products to be repaired.  And to that end pointing to other companies does not negate the issues people have evidenced with apple.   Saying "but other companies do it" only means you don't have an argument as to why you think it is acceptable.

Also, you can by generic parts for nearly all cars without having to worry about the parts being impounded at customs,  using the auto industry as an example of why apple should be allowed to continue with their anti consumer behavior is nonsensical at best. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm currently using a old iMac with a 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, and need an upgrade.

I love a cheap Mac Mini or MacBook with an Apple ARM chip.

However I'm most interested to see if Apple can pull of ARM + x86 in the same systems. 

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

notifications: check

pictures: check

phone calls: check

browser syncing tabs and activity: check

Last time I tried it, it wasn't that simple. I do recall you had to download an app on your phone to make all this happen. With Apple you don't, it just works. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

V10

GFY. My experience has never been that good with Android. In the past I have had at one Samsung phone and at least two HTC phones, Ive used a LG G3, and a OnePlus 3T. The OnePlus phone was the only one I felt was kinda worth a crap. All the devices seem to slow down and become buggy over time. Had my iPhone for almost two years and it feels the same as when I got it. Never had an Android device do that. The G3 did last about 3 years, but when you Factory Data Reset a phone and while setting it back up it crashes, there's an issue. No issues with the iPhone XR, same thing with my brother in law and sister, they never have issues after switching to apple. My sisters Samsung S7 was a freakin dumpster fire, the software was about as good as Windows 10 when Microsoft screws up an update bad. My mom also had issues with her S7. 

Not saying Android is not a good OS, but many of these companies piss poorly implement it. If I ever go back to Android it will most likely be a Google device specifically. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Last time I tried it, it wasn't that simple. I do recall you had to download an app on your phone to make all this happen. With Apple you don't, it just works. 

as simple as opening the "your phone" app on your PC and following the instruction. And it "just works".

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

GFY. My experience has never been that good with Android. In the past I have had at one Samsung phone and at least two HTC phones, Ive used a LG G3, and a OnePlus 3T. The OnePlus phone was the only one I felt was kinda worth a crap. All the devices seem to slow down and become buggy over time. Had my iPhone for almost two years and it feels the same as when I got it. Never had an Android device do that. The G3 did last about 3 years, but when you Factory Data Reset a phone and while setting it back up it crashes, there's an issue. No issues with the iPhone XR, same thing with my brother in law and sister, they never have issues after switching to apple. My sisters Samsung S7 was a freakin dumpster fire, the software was about as good as Windows 10 when Microsoft screws up an update bad. My mom also had issues with her S7. 

Not saying Android is not a good OS, but many of these companies piss poorly implement it. If I ever go back to Android it will most likely be a Google device specifically. 

and my experience with iOS was crap which is what led me to use Android. 

Remember the iPhone 4S and the shit show that was running iOS7 and later OS on it up till iOS9?

ruining a perfectly good phone with upgrades it clearly couldn't handle. The iPhone 4S should have stopped at iOS6, but no, boasting about long support be it crap or not is more important.

Moved to a used Galaxy Note 2 after that sour experience (actually first moved to WP on a Lumia 920, it sucked). Never looked back and still have the Note 2 around, still works, a bit slow, still runs the latest apps, even if it's stuck on Kit Kat, can't say the same about the iPhone 4S from the same period fully updated to the latest available iOS version. 

At least thanks to a good ol' class action you now have the option to downgrade it back to iOS6, just gotta accept that almost no app will be work on it cause deprecating API is such a wonderful move apparently and why Apple is such an amazing company for forcing dev to only use the latest and greatest

29 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

as simple as opening the "your phone" app on your PC and following the instruction. And it "just works".

and my experience with iOS was crap which is what led me to use Android. 

Remember the iPhone 4S and the shit show that was running iOS7 and later OS on it up till iOS9?

ruining a perfectly good phone with upgrades it clearly couldn't handle. The iPhone 4S should have stopped at iOS6, but no, boasting about long support be it crap or not is more important.

Moved to a used Galaxy Note 2 after that sour experience (actually first moved to WP on a Lumia 920, it sucked). Never looked back and still have the Note 2 around, still works, a bit slow, still runs the latest apps, even if it's stuck on Kit Kat, can't say the same about the iPhone 4S from the same period fully updated to the latest available iOS version. 

At least thanks to a good ol' class action you now have the option to downgrade it back to iOS6, just gotta accept that almost no app will be work on it cause deprecating API is such a wonderful move apparently and why Apple is such an amazing company for forcing dev to only use the latest and greatest

You're wrong, you never owned a windows phone, there's no way anyone who used a windows phone could think it sucks.  🤣

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

Also, you can by generic parts for nearly all cars without having to worry about the parts being impounded at customs,  using the auto industry as an example of why apple should be allowed to continue with their anti consumer behavior is nonsensical at best. 

Just try to get a vehicle ECU, I dare you. Or any number of the sensors on a vehicle. It will either cost you more than the car, or the dealership will refuse to service it if the manufacturer doesn't have a recall for it.

That is exactly the same thing Apple, and everyone hitched to Apple's "impossible to repair" wagon. If you don't like it, it's not going to change by complaining on a forum. People buy the products no matter what anti-consumer behavior they impose because there is no other option. It's not just about the removal of headphone jacks and USB charging jacks.

20 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You're wrong, you never owned a windows phone, there's no way anyone who used a windows phone could think it sucks.  🤣

but it really did

between the lack of apps, and how much more restrictive WP felt compared to iOS

the small quirks like how the phone had to reload every single app the moment you switched to another one, or how spotify would just stop running in background after a while, and that would also happen if the phone was in standby and spotify was the only app running.  

The only good thing was after coming from pastel iOS7, the pleasing to the eye dark mode everywhere 

15 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

but it really did

the small quirks like how the phone had to reload every single app the moment you switched to another one, or how spotify would just stop running in background after a while, and that would also happen if the phone was in standby and spotify was the only app running.  

The only good thing was after coming from pastel iOS7, the pleasing to the eye dark mode everywhere 

WP was great for what I used it for, still use it in fact. All I want is txt, phone and an excellent mail client that works properly 100% as intended to function with Exchange/O365 and it still tops the list by far, even beating out my S10E with the latest Outlook app on it. I just want a basic view/list of my emails, stop trying to force me in to 'Focus' views or conversations views, they are garbage and do not help. Also Outlook app search sucks!

17 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Just try to get a vehicle ECU, I dare you. Or any number of the sensors on a vehicle. It will either cost you more than the car, or the dealership will refuse to service it if the manufacturer doesn't have a recall for it.

For which car? 

These guys seem to think they can sell a wide range of them:

https://www.buyautoparts.com/autoparts/Engine_Control_Module_ECM_ECU

At Buy Auto Parts, we sell a wide range of engine control modules at unbeatable prices.

Also I can get one for any car that is at the local wreckers.  Plenty of cars there.  Never had an issue getting them before when doing auto to manual conversions.

17 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That is exactly the same thing Apple, and everyone hitched to Apple's "impossible to repair" wagon. If you don't like it, it's not going to change by complaining on a forum. People buy the products no matter what anti-consumer behavior they impose because there is no other option. It's not just about the removal of headphone jacks and USB charging jacks.

Just because you don't think you can do anything about doesn't mean we all have to  accept it, and it certainly doesn't mean any should be defending them on it,  No way!  Until they change their practice it is our duty to warn prospective buyers of their attitude towards RTR and how they treat customers with faulty products.

20 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

but it really did

Lack of apps was really annoying I'll pay that, but I had two and besides the app support I thought they were awesome.

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

For which car? 

Most cars do allow you to connect to the ECU and read sensors and data logs, even make modifications. On top of that you can piggy back off them with plugin upgrades and engine harnesses etc. It all comes down to how much tuning do you want and/or need, once you start pushing past the tuning capabilities of stock ECUs and basic add-ons you're also past the point of stock engine builds so it makes little difference if you are buying a $3000 ECU since you'll be spending far more than that on everything else to support it and to make it a worth while purchase in the first place.

This will do almost everyone fine https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

Rather off topic though but car modding and tuning is absolutely massive by all walks of life, bags of cash is not a requirement nor fancy parts.

If you just want to read sensor data and error logs buy an OBD2 and use any number of phone apps that exist, very cheap.

21 minutes ago, leadeater said:

WP was great for what I used it for, still use it in fact. All I want is txt, phone and an excellent mail client that works properly 100% as intended to function with Exchange/O365 and it still tops the list by far, even beating out my S10E with the latest Outlook app on it. I just want a basic view/list of my emails, stop trying to force me in to 'Focus' views or conversations views, they are garbage and do not help. Also Outlook app search sucks!

personally never cared about email clients, and out of work i still just use the browser to check my personal mail.

App support is important to me, i'm not the kind that jumps on every new social network, the only one i have installed right now is instagram and it's only because some girl i was trying to hit on didn't want to give me her whatsapp and instead wanted to use insta's chat, but going WP meant that many of the apps i used on my iphone weren't available or there even wasn't an alternative to it.

25 minutes ago, mr moose said:

For which car? 

If you had tried to use their site you'd realize they only have one ECU. Period. For a heavy duty Diesel engine.

Also I can get one for any car that is at the local wreckers.  Plenty of cars there.  Never had an issue getting them before when doing auto to manual conversions.

I don't doubt you, but that just goes back to the point about availability of wrecked devices from which parts can be scavenged from. As a similar example, a car that I once had , broke a manual shift cable, but all the vehicles of that make and model in the junk yard were of an auto model. Somehow someone found one, but it was from a junk yard several towns away.

Just because you don't think you can do anything about doesn't mean we all have to  accept it, and it certainly doesn't mean any should be defending them on it,  No way!  Until they change their practice it is our duty to warn prospective buyers of their attitude towards RTR and how they treat customers with faulty products.

Customers have been complaining about RTR with vehicles ever since electronic fuel injection became a thing, as the tools are not available to consumers to do their own repairs, and are not available to third party garages either. Not without stealing things at least. There is a very large market for pirated dealership service manuals and software, and you can be sure it's not the licensed dealerships who are the buyers. If the ECU dies in a vehicle, which can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars, many vehicles more than a few years old become unusable, or partially unusable. One of the vehicles my parents had that they got rid of was one of these problems. Didn't stop them from buying from that company two more times. 

Unlike smartphones however, cars can usually swap like-for-like mechanical parts without too much trouble. It's the electronic parts that will have a fit, particularly models that have "smart entertainment" systems that also control the car HVAC. Insurance companies also complain quite a bit about the cost to repair "new" model vehicles with all the electronics in them since they can't just buff out dents and scratches, they now have to replace a lot more parts, and that's the reason for vehicle insurance rates skyrocketing. And guess what problem this runs into? The OEM not selling the parts.

On 6/9/2020 at 3:52 PM, rhn94 said:

So the... what's mac market share, 6%? will have a chance to install Manjaro ARM same as SBC users?
Ah, also let's not mention android users using cloud PCs, tablets, phones, TVs... :P 

Jokes aside, with how the apple market is, I doubt many users will even understand what are the advantages of peeling one layer of abstraction here. I doubt Apple will make great leap forward in terms of technology as well, as ARM market share is already growing for past few years so yeah. Fanboys will think Apple invented already implemented technology, company will add extra 0 on the price tag and sponsored industry articles will praise the product.

11 hours ago, Kisai said:

Yeah, and how would you propose to fix that to only punish apple, and not everyone else who is notably worse?

What would "fix" problems like this is legislation on warranties to always cover the lifetime of the product, and the product to have an explicit expiry date when the company will pay to have it returned to them in exchange for credit against the latest model. That solves two problems, one the e-waste problem and two, the lifetime warranty having an explicit end date, thus the device should be engineered to last that long and any consumable parts, last longer than the expiry. You can blame mobile phone carriers for this nonsense 2-year lifetime of phones, that's something they created, and it should never have happened. Consumers mistakenly believe that they should replace their phone every 2 years on the dot, and that somehow "free" phones somehow cost nothing to produce.

I may still be a bit pissed off at how iOS 12 killed my iPhone 6s, thus having to buy a new phone, but I would much rather have bought a new phone than paid 10% of the cost of the new phone in repairing the old one. There wasn't a hope in hell that I would buy an Android device, and there's no other option.

Every company should be punished for doing that. Apple is first on people's crosshairs because of their hypocrisy. Its like a pornstar preaching about monogamy during a 3h gangbang with 100 men. If they are for sustainable future, they should tell people not to buy a new product unless old one is really non-repairable and offer cheap spare parts with free repair-manuals. The current way they are handling things is like China telling people how to run a democracy.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

If you had tried to use their site you'd realize they only have one ECU. Period. For a heavy duty Diesel engine.

How often does an ECU actually brake, btw you can get them from OEM maintenance and service places. Generally it has to be that way as if you replace the ECU in most cars now days that means reprogramming all your keys and depending on vehicle they have to lookup specific information about the motor and transmission for when it was made so they can match them. No good replacing the ECU if the engine can't start or you'll brake it by running it incorrectly, but you could unplug the crank position sensor and ignore then engine warning light and drive around with a super fuel rich tune.

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

How often does an ECU actually brake, btw you can get them from OEM maintenance and service places. Generally it has to be that way as if you replace the ECU in most cars now days that means reprogramming all your keys and depending on vehicle they have to lookup specific information about the motor and transmission for when it was made so they can match them. No good replacing the ECU if the engine can't start or you'll brake it by running it incorrectly, but you could unplug the crank position sensor and ignore then engine warning light and drive around with a super fuel rich tune.

Apparently enough that it comes up in lemon lists.

But the point was that:

a) That's a very expensive part, and the vehicle can't operate normally without it

b) That is a very expensive part, that often means abandoning an out-of-warranty vehicle that has that part fail.

Which is no different than having any part on a PCB fail in a smartphone or laptop. If something fails, you're effectively replacing the entire computer anyway, so you may as well junk the entire thing than pay the repair costs which will be more than half the price of buying a new one.

To use the one example that site has, that ECU was more than $600, which is also about 1/4th the trade in value of a 6 year old car. Replacing the PCB in any laptop out of warranty, if it's even possible might cost $500, which clearly isn't worth it, when $500 is about 1/4th the cost of a decent new laptop.

And you ignored the point altogether.

I don't doubt you, but that just goes back to the point about availability of wrecked devices from which parts can be scavenged from. As a similar example, a car that I once had , broke a manual shift cable, but all the vehicles of that make and model in the junk yard were of an auto model. Somehow someone found one, but it was from a junk yard several towns away.

You seem to be skipping around the core problem we are discussing,  apple want you to buy new not scavenge parts,in some cases even if you can get the parts new they can't be repaired due tot he way apple have made the product,  that completely negates the ability to scavenge parts from a wrecked device.  Your grasping at straws now because you have been shown that the automotive industry is the polar opposite of what apple currently is and desires to be in the future.  In fact if it wasn't for the price of scrap metal being so high we would have a lot more older cars on the road right now. A factor that is beyond the control of he automotive industry altogether.

Customers have been complaining about RTR with vehicles ever since electronic fuel injection became a thing, as the tools are not available to consumers to do their own repairs, and are not available to third party garages either. Not without stealing things at least. There is a very large market for pirated dealership service manuals and software, and you can be sure it's not the licensed dealerships who are the buyers. If the ECU dies in a vehicle, which can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars, many vehicles more than a few years old become unusable, or partially unusable. One of the vehicles my parents had that they got rid of was one of these problems. Didn't stop them from buying from that company two more times. 

I've never had a problem. I know it is becoming a problem in some specific cases, but currently it is not, you can still buy scanners that read all the codes from all the machines (barring maybe john dear).  By the time cars are old enough to need repair work there are usually many different generic manufacturers making parts.  So again, nothing like apple. 

Unlike smartphones however, cars can usually swap like-for-like mechanical parts without too much trouble. It's the electronic parts that will have a fit, particularly models that have "smart entertainment" systems that also control the car HVAC. Insurance companies also complain quite a bit about the cost to repair "new" model vehicles with all the electronics in them since they can't just buff out dents and scratches, they now have to replace a lot more parts, and that's the reason for vehicle insurance rates skyrocketing. And guess what problem this runs into? The OEM not selling the parts.

To be quite quite honest,  you are trying so hard to prove the car industry is as bad as apple that you are now basically arguing how bad apple are.   You literally ( in bold) just argued exactly what apple are doing as if that is a defense of apple.

All I am reading  here is that you think apple aren't bad, yet all these other companies are just as bad why don't I complain about them?   Answer: because this is an apple thread specific to apple and we don't need to talk about other companies to examine and understand the crux of the issues with apple.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

All I am reading  here is that you think apple aren't bad, yet all these other companies are just as bad why don't I complain about them?   Answer: because this is an apple thread specific to apple and we don't need to talk about other companies to examine and understand the crux of the issues with apple.

What you should be reading is that "You are complaining about apple, when this is the status quo for everyone." That doesn't make the status quo good, but people like to complain about Apple because it's expensive, while all the competition ranges from more expensive and equally usable hardware to less expensive rubbish. Apple does not make rubbish products, they believe they are making Luxury products, and thus they play by a lot of the rules Luxury brands do, which includes destroying products instead of selling/repairing them.

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

What you should be reading is that "You are complaining about apple, when this is the status quo for everyone." That doesn't make the status quo good, but people like to complain about Apple because it's expensive, while all the competition ranges from more expensive and equally usable hardware to less expensive rubbish. Apple does not make rubbish products, they believe they are making Luxury products, and thus they play by a lot of the rules Luxury brands do, which includes destroying products instead of selling/repairing them.

How any times do I have to say it?  other companies being bad DOES NOT EXCUSE APPLE.  Whataboutism is not an argument.  If you think the continuous quoting me and pointing out that other companies do bad things means anything (especially after I have told you it is pointless and changes nothing) then you have completely missed the point of what a lot of us are saying. 

I am talking specifically about bad things apple are doing in an apple thread.  I am not interested in discussing android or HP or acer or anyone else. They should have their own thread where people can discuss the issues about their practices.  Refusing to accept apples issue while tripping over yourself in an effort to point out "everyone does it" only means you don't actually want to accept what apple does or at least you want to try and diminish it by obfuscating the issue and talking about irrelevant conditions in other companies.   AND they are absolutely irrelevant, nothing HP or acer does forces apple to be so anti consumer or fight for RTR  they do,  nothing MS or Google does excuses apple's behavior in any way shape or form.  So talking about them is moot, pointless, of zero relevance and mostly a red herring.