Fractal Design 804 Case Fans

davidst95

Hi, I would like to buy a pair 140mm fans for the top of my Factual Design Node 804.   The top has a mesh filter so I'm sure if it would better to get an airflow or static fan?   Attached a picture of the top plate of the case and the mesh filter.   Thanks for any advice.

David

top804.jpg

I'd recommend just getting two Corsair ML140's. I have them, and they're great, even at pushing air through a radiator

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

“Airflow or static” fan?  Do you mean a fan optimized for airflow vs static pressure?  That’s some pretty fine mesh and even high static pressure 140mm fans don’t have a lot of static pressure. Lacking specific experience with the case a high static pressure fan will be less likely to generate problems.  I don’t know if it’s specifically needed though.  A high static pressure fan will likely have less total airflow but it’s not zero.  I would consider the static pressure optimized fan he safer move, but I don’t know if it’s needed.  Are they the same price?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

I'd recommend just getting two Corsair ML140's. I have them, and they're great, even at pushing air through a radiator

Aren't the ML fans a bit loud?  I know the 120mm versions are night/day compared to my Noctuas, even if you crank the RPM right down.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Aren't the ML fans a bit loud?  I know the 120mm versions are night/day compared to my Noctuas, even if you crank the RPM right down.

I don't find them loud. They shouldn't because of their magnetic baring. When they're at or around 1500 rpm they're almost silent. My aio pump is louder than all 5 of them combined

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

Thanks for all the input.   It really helps a lot.   I think I'm going to test out the be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm fan.  Based off the Amazon reviews they have a good mix of air flow and static pressure.

David

43 minutes ago, davidst95 said:

Thanks for all the input.   It really helps a lot.   I think I'm going to test out the be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm fan.  Based off the Amazon reviews they have a good mix of air flow and static pressure.

David

Remember to quote people so they see your reply David. 

I use a bunch of SW3 120mm's in my build. Very happy with them.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I have similar question like you last time, my ML120 (non pro) were making a lot of noise when mounting on front panel mesh (fractal design mini c). So I changed to arctic p12s. The noise did reduced, however I can feel the airflow decreased. Still happy with the result tho because I can replace the exhaust fans came with the case with ML120s and the gpu idle dropped from 55 C to 49 C.

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
    Klevv Bolt X 3600mhz CL18 overclocked to 3600mhz CL18 @ 1.35V. (latency 67 ns)
  • GPU
    Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define Mini C Windowed
  • Storage
    1TB HDD from Toshiba, 250 gb Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Western Digital SN750
  • PSU
    Superflower Eco Silver 600W
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling
    Arctic freezer 34 esports duo, Arctic P12

19 hours ago, piratemonkey said:

I don't find them loud. They shouldn't because of their magnetic baring. When they're at or around 1500 rpm they're almost silent. My aio pump is louder than all 5 of them combined

What's considered quiet depends on who's listening. They're definitely too noisy at 1500rpm for people like me. 

19 hours ago, davidst95 said:

I think I'm going to test out the be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm fan.  Based off the Amazon reviews they have a good mix of air flow and static pressure.

Some static pressure is definitely useful. SW3's are excellent and a fine choice. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

What's considered quiet depends on who's listening. They're definitely too noisy at 1500rpm for people like me. 

They use magnetic bearings, so they're not super loud. Audible, but not a plane taking off. It's not louder than a corsair aio pump

10 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

They use magnetic bearings, so they're not super loud. Audible, but not a plane taking off. It's not louder than a corsair aio pump

My memory is that 120mm fans start making a good bit of noise after 800-1000 rpm.  The smaller the diameter the higher the rpm, the larger the diameter the lower the rpm.  That’s independent of the bearing or the particulars of the blade mostly. A heavily hooked blade can go a bit faster.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

By magnetic you mean enlobal?  Maglev? I’m only familiar with very early versions of those.  They had to be very carefully balanced and only worked when set horizontally like sleeve fans.  

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My memory is that 120mm fans start making a good bit of noise after 800-1000 rpm.  The smaller the diameter the higher the rpm, the larger the diameter the lower the rpm.  That’s independent of the bearing or the particulars of the blade mostly. A heavily hooked blade can go a bit faster.

Mine are 140mm. I think I screwed up and plugged them into a three pin fan header, so there's no PWM control. I also don't have a bachelor's degree in fan design, so I'm probably spitting garbage I heard from videos and Wikipedia

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

By magnetic you mean enlobal?  Maglev? I’m only familiar with very early versions of those.  They had to be very carefully balanced and only worked when set horizontally like sleeve fans.

Mag lev I think. There's 3 at the front (vertical) and they spin great. There's also 2 at the top of my case. 

4 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Mine are 140mm. I think I screwed up and plugged them into a three pin fan header, so there's no PWM control. I also don't have a bachelor's degree in fan design, so I'm probably spitting garbage I heard from videos and Wikipedia

Mag lev I think. There's 3 at the front (vertical) and they spin great. There's also 2 at the top of my case. 

Heh.  My bachelors is in fine art so likely even less applicable.  I’m mostly just repeating what I was told long ago.  The rpm thing had to do with the highest velocity reached by the fasts moving part of the fan which would be the pier tip of the blade.  Might be a super sonic thing I don’t know.

Top wouldn’t work with the old style.  The ones I’ve got wouldn’t work for shit that way.  Fan up they would be unlubricated sleeve bearings and fan down the fan assembly would just fall off.  I’m way out of date though.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Top wouldn’t work with the old style.  The ones I’ve got wouldn’t work for shit that way.  Fan up they would be unlubricated sleeve bearings and fan down the fan assembly would just fall off.  I’m way out of date though.

Well, I'm glad I live in a time where maglev fans work properly at all orientations

54 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Much of the noise is from the motor as opposed to the bearing. 

30 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Mine are 140mm. I think I screwed up and plugged them into a three pin fan header, so there's no PWM control.

ML fans needs 12v / pwm for the magnetic levitation to work properly. Without it, the fan won't last as long and may be noisier. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Much of the noise is from the motor as opposed to the bearing. 

ML fans needs 12v / pwm for the magnetic levitation to work properly. Without it, the fan won't last as long and may be noisier. 

Huh, I learned 2 new things. They work properly (I think), so it might be an iCue problem, or because I plugged it into a mobo fan header instead of the lighting node thing. I don't know, I'll figure it out, thx

59 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Well, I'm glad I live in a time where maglev fans work properly at all orientations

Your may anyway.  Mine don’t.  They’re quite old though.

1 hour ago, piratemonkey said:

Huh, I learned 2 new things. They work properly (I think), so it might be an iCue problem, or because I plugged it into a mobo fan header instead of the lighting node thing. I don't know, I'll figure it out, thx

12v / pwm is needed just for levitation and not for the fan to spin.