How is the Butterfly Labs BFL 850W 80+ Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply?

noncompoop
Go to solution Solved by 5x5,
1 minute ago, noncompoop said:

I will trust Johnyguru's opinion about the 500w White PSU but mainly wanted to know about the OEM for the BFL Unit. I know BFL is shady af, but mainly want to know who the underlying OEM is.

As for the BFL - it seems to be a fake 80+ Gold rating. That should tell you enough (these are VERY common in chinese units - Thermaltake is the most well known brand that uses fake ratings.)

I can get one of these locally for about $60 New in Box from a friend and its honestly overkill for my system but given how bad PSU prices are, I'm highly considering it given that it can provide plenty of power and has an 80+ Gold Certification.

I researched the company and it seems they've been defunct for a while but how is the power supply itself? I'm assuming they had an OEM Make it and would be interested to know if it was sold as anything else by another manufacturer and how well that performed.

It's between this and a new EVGA 500w White ( https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2014/06/23/evga-500w-w1-power-supply/6/ ) which is about the same price new.

Here is the system it's going into:

CPU: i5-4570
GPU: RX 570 4gb (Stock)
RAM: 8gb DDR3
Storage: 128gb SSD + 2tb HDD

I already have all of the parts, just need the power supply but can't find much on this one.

When the 850W unit is priced the same as one of the worst 500W units on the market, it's VERY safe to assume both are fire hazards.

Seriously, do yourself a favour and get a Corsair CX 550 or SeaSonic S12III 500W - that Butterfly model is most definitely going to be a cheap chinese unit with missing protections shit reliability. Don't risk your system and get a decent power supply.

Also - https://www.theverge.com/2014/9/23/6833047/bitcoin-conspiracy-theorists-vindicated-as-ftc-shuts-down-butterfly-labs

9 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

When the 850W unit is priced the same as one of the worst 500W units on the market, it's VERY safe to assume both are fire hazards.

Seriously, do yourself a favour and get a Corsair CX 550 or SeaSonic S12III 500W - that Butterfly model is most definitely going to be a cheap chinese unit with missing protections shit reliability. Don't risk your system and get a decent power supply.

Also - https://www.theverge.com/2014/9/23/6833047/bitcoin-conspiracy-theorists-vindicated-as-ftc-shuts-down-butterfly-labs

I will trust Johnyguru's opinion about the 500w White PSU but mainly wanted to know about the OEM for the BFL Unit. I know BFL is shady af, but mainly want to know who the underlying OEM is.

Just now, noncompoop said:

The EVGA W1 is a REALLY low quality unit intended for office PCs - it's thermal tolerance is non-existent and you WILL end up killing it with a dGPU system. You've been warned - we've had many instances of W1 models dying and even killing components on the forums.

As for the BFL - it seems to be a fake 80+ Gold rating. That should tell you enough (these are VERY common in chinese units - Thermaltake is the most well known brand that uses fake ratings.)

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Thank you

Just now, noncompoop said:

Thank you

No problem. As for what to get - consider a cheaper unit but that is known for being good. The Corsair CX which is DESIGNED by Jonny Guru himself :)

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

No problem. As for what to get - consider a cheaper unit but that is known for being good. The Corsair CX which is DESIGNED by Jonny Guru himself :)

The problem is finding one reasonably priced, even second hand. Saw a few on Amazon Renewed but idk if I trust that 

3 minutes ago, noncompoop said:

The problem is finding one reasonably priced, even second hand. Saw a few on Amazon Renewed but idk if I trust that 

us?

Thanks for the suggestion

No problem. The Neo ECO units are pretty solid and have actual 80+ Gold certification and fully functional protections so that you don't have to worry whether they'll trigger or not (like on the W1 models where it's a lottery)