Dell OEM card to new system

RohanKaushal
Go to solution Solved by Arcanekitten,

Should work just fine. As long as it is a slotted card which you can see if you open the case up. I am not aware of any limitation that dell puts on these besides the obvious thermal design and power delivery (pci-e connector) that probably will be lacking.

I was wondering I have a Dell pre built.  i7 8700 and Gtx 1060 6gb Dell OEM card. Am I able to pull the card from this system and stick it into a custom build with it still working fully or does Dell have a lock on the card?

Should work just fine. As long as it is a slotted card which you can see if you open the case up. I am not aware of any limitation that dell puts on these besides the obvious thermal design and power delivery (pci-e connector) that probably will be lacking.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

you can move it to a new computer. most chips out now aren't going to be a big upgrade unless you end up going R9

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 minutes ago, Arcanekitten said:

Should work just fine. I am not aware of any limitation that dell puts on these besides the obvious thermal design and power delivery (pci-e connector) that probably will be lacking.

Thanks the 1060 is only temporary. First stage of the upgrade is to pull the cpu and gpu into a new system which I build myself. Then hopefully by the end of year throw a 2070 into it. Speaking of is it necessary to remove the thermal paste from the cpu before applying a new cooler?

3 minutes ago, RohanKaushal said:

Thanks the 1060 is only temporary. First stage of the upgrade is to pull the cpu and gpu into a new system which I build myself. Then hopefully by the end of year throw a 2070 into it. Speaking off is it necessary to remove the thermal paste from the cpu before applying a new cooler?

Well, depends on the time of application. Did you do it this week? sure fine. Is it the same thermal paste from the beginning of its lifespan you'll need to replacement. Sure you can use it but it will probably be hard and quite brittle and impact thermal performance. Thermal paste is super cheap these days.

A good plan for sure on the swap!

You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

3 minutes ago, Arcanekitten said:

Well, depends on the time of application. Did you do it this week? sure fine. Is it the same thermal paste from the beginning of its lifespan you'll need to replacement. Sure you can use it but it will probably be hard and quite brittle and impact thermal performance. Thermal paste is super cheap these days.

A good plan for sure on the swap!

Heard Artic make a good thermal compound will probably go with them unless there are any other recommendations.

1 minute ago, RohanKaushal said:

Heard Artic make a good thermal compound will probably go with them unless there are any other recommendations.

Artic does make great thermal compound. The silver 5 or MX4 does the trip nicely. Any other compound would also work though would probably only make a difference of about 2C.