Microsoft Illumiroom (share Your Thoughts)

Well it's not really news... this from last E3.

Should be moved into Console section.

Anyway, the problem is that projectors, even small, low powered one, are fairly loud. And projectors are expensive.

But beside that, it's a pretty cool idea. If Microsoft wants to put on market, they have to invest a lot in figuring out ways to drop the price while still making it good.

This might be a 3-4 years release, after the XBox infinity gets released. Supported content will be another story. While technically it is possible to support automatically all games, the problem comes down to: You (the game camera) sees more, therefore, the graphic card needs to draw more, therefore reduce the game framerate. This means that games that will run at 30fps, will be problematic.

A major problem I can already see with this is the fact that a dark room is required. Not only that, but the lighting effects don't really make for that much more of an immersive experience, so I'd be more inclined to buy the Oculus Rift more than anything thus far.

A major problem I can already see with this is the fact that a dark room is required. Not only that, but the lighting effects don't really make for that much more of an immersive experience, so I'd be more inclined to buy the Oculus Rift more than anything thus far.

That's something you just accept though, if you're ever getting into having a projector setup. It's not really much of an issue anyway. Most of the people that will be able to afford a set up like this probably aren't going to be playing on their Xbox during many daylight hours. This isn't going to be something you're going to see in every 15 year old's bedroom. So playing at night, with the lights down, is it really that much different from normally watching a movie? I don't think so. 

And to your other argument, in my opinion, it all really depends on what the projector shows around the outside of the TV image. It could be either way. Heck, maybe couple it with 3D & you really could have something awesome there. Though, having all the furniture in the way really would be a nuisance. I have to try to keep my projector wall, & anything near it, completely clear, for that sole reason. I get that this is meant to work so that you don't have to have a clear wall, it can work "on-top" of your furniture, but I can't see that ever being truly acceptable by anyone. 

I mean, I've recently gotten an nVidia 3D set up & while some of it is a little hit or miss. I'm pretty damn impressed with most of it, & there have certainly been some truly awesome visuals so far... & I've only had it 2 days. That being said, everything all being in 3D is making me want to turn my head to tilt around corners, & stuff like that, which is what the Oculus Rift is designed for. In that sense, than that probably is the more immersive experience. 

meh, I don't think that would really help people gaming. I think it is more of a distraction than any thing else.