Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baeni

Need help with choosing a mobo.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: GTA V, Battlefield, VALORANT, Minecraft RTX

Hej y'all!

I'm still planning my future gaming build. I'd love to keep it budget but get the best out of it.

These (https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/wg377T) are the planned components for now. As I said, I want to keep it budget. This is why I'm thinking about getting the ASRock B550M Pro4 instead of the planned Strix B550-F Gaming.

When I'd go with the ASRock, I could also save some money on the case.

Now I need your help with choosing one of the said mobo's or even a complete different one. The problem is that I definitely need an addressable RGB-header!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

baeni

Hello,

Kind of the same SSD for far cheaper, mobo is good and has 1 ARGB header, better PSU.

Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

Join the Folding team
My F@H stats

PC1 (Main) :

CPU : Intel i7-8700K | Cooling : Noctua NH-U14S / Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax x4 and NF-F12 PWM chromax x3 

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 | Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3466MHz CL16

Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD / Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe | Case : Phanteks Eclipse P600S PSU : Corsair HX850W 

Monitor : Samsung C27FG73 | Keyboard : Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum | Mouse : Logitech G903 

Sound : Logitech Z623 (speakers) / Logitech G432 (headset)

PC 2 (Wife's PC) :

CPU : AMD R5 3600 | Cooling : Noctua NH-U12S GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB Motherboard : Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite 

RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16GB 3200MHz CL16 | Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA SSD / Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD 

Case : Fractal Design Meshify S2 | PSU : Corsair CX550W Monitor : AOC 24B1XHS

Keyboard and Mouse : Logitech MK270 combo Sound : Logitech Z200 (speakers)

PC 3 (Retro HEDT) :

CPU : incoming | Cooling : Noctua NH-U12S GPU : Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 Motherboard : incoming

RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 | Storage : Crucial MX500 500GB SATA SSD | Case : undecided

PSU : be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W

@Meganter
Didn't know about the SSD, thanks!
Actually I don't really like the look of the mobo, especially not the PCB. There will be a MSI B550-A PRO soon. Would that be a good looking alternative to the MSI B450-A PRO MAX? Hope it's not getting too expensive tho.

2 minutes ago, baeni said:

I just saw that there already seem to be a price point set: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-B550-ProSeries-Motherboard-DDR4/dp/B089CZSQB4?language=de_DE

I know the Tomahawk B550 is good so the A-Pro would be on par or a bit behind I suppose if they learnt from their mistakes from low end x570. The B550 from Aorus (Gigabyte) are also promising.

Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

Join the Folding team
My F@H stats

PC1 (Main) :

CPU : Intel i7-8700K | Cooling : Noctua NH-U14S / Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax x4 and NF-F12 PWM chromax x3 

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 | Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3466MHz CL16

Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD / Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe | Case : Phanteks Eclipse P600S PSU : Corsair HX850W 

Monitor : Samsung C27FG73 | Keyboard : Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum | Mouse : Logitech G903 

PC 2 (Wife's PC) :

CPU : AMD R5 3600 | Cooling : Noctua NH-U12S GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB Motherboard : Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite 

RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16GB 3200MHz CL16 | Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA SSD / Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD 

PC 3 (Retro HEDT) :

CPU : incoming | Cooling : Noctua NH-U12S GPU : Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 Motherboard : incoming

RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 | Storage : Crucial MX500 500GB SATA SSD | Case : undecided

@Meganter
Well I think the B550 Aorus series will be priced similar to the Strix B550-F Gaming. Would u then prefer the Strix or the Aorus?

18 minutes ago, baeni said:

@Meganter
Well I think the B550 Aorus series will be priced similar to the Strix B550-F Gaming. Would u then prefer the Strix or the Aorus?

I don't really have a prefence, just get the cheaper one if they have similar performance/VRM/OC power etc

Join the Folding team
My F@H stats

PC1 (Main) :

PC 2 (Wife's PC) :

PC 3 (Retro HEDT) :

1 hour ago, baeni said:

@Meganter

Wait for reviews. Also keep an eye on channels like Buildzoid (Actually Hardcore Overclocking) on Youtube as he does VRM breakdown videos which are really informative.

Winter is Coming.

1 hour ago, baeni said:

@Meganter

Neither

A tomhawk has a 3 stage 6+2 phase power design and it's a whole lot better than these 

Also it's cheaper

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

16 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Neither

A tomhawk has a 3 stage 6+2 phase power design and it's a whole lot better than these 

Also it's cheaper

The B450 Tomahawk would cost me 117€. Should I wait for the MAG B550 Tomahawk and check its pricing? Actually it looks like it will cost way more as of the design factor.

1 minute ago, baeni said:

The B450 Tomahawk would cost me 117€. Should I wait for the MAG B550 Tomahawk and check its pricing? Actually it looks like it will cost way more as of the design factor.

If you can wait for b550

I say wait for reviews and models to come out

That way you can decide what fits your budget and what's best for you ;)

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

If you can wait for b550

I say wait for reviews and models to come out

That way you can decide what fits your budget and what's best for you ;)

Okay, thanks!

23 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Neither

Also it's cheaper

Where are you getting that info from ? The boards are not even out yet, so not sure how you can assess which one is better. Same goes for pricing. 

Winter is Coming.

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

Where are you getting that info from ? The boards are not even out yet, so not sure how you can assess which one is better. Same goes for pricing. 

I was talking about the current b450 one 

Would only assume it would be the same or better 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I was talking about the current b450 one 

Would only assume it would be the same or better 

Ah right ok, thought you had a crystal ball or something 😄 

Winter is Coming.

15 hours ago, baeni said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: GTA V, Battlefield, VALORANT, Minecraft RTX

Hej y'all!

I'm still planning my future gaming build. I'd love to keep it budget but get the best out of it.

These (https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/wg377T) are the planned components for now. As I said, I want to keep it budget. This is why I'm thinking about getting the ASRock B550M Pro4 instead of the planned Strix B550-F Gaming.

When I'd go with the ASRock, I could also save some money on the case.

Now I need your help with choosing one of the said mobo's or even a complete different one. The problem is that I definitely need an addressable RGB-header!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

baeni

You can save some money on The GPU. There are cheaper options by other manufacturers starting with ~500€.

3 hours ago, koptr said:

You can save some money on The GPU. There are cheaper options by other manufacturers starting with ~500€.

yeah but I actually love the FE design and my case will definitely have a window. That's also why I've chosen RGB ram.