Macbook Pro 2019 worth it over Macbook Air 2020

Should I get the base model Air 2020, or the Pro 2019? I have realized the Air has a terrible cooling system, but because of the 10th gen i3 and the really fast 3733MHz DDR4 memory, is it worth the 8th gen i5, quad core, and DDR3 slower memory on the Pro? Also forgot to mention the Air's base model is a dual core. I realize the i5 option is double the power of the base, but I cannot afford it. 

I need a laptop for high school reopening soon hopefully, other than that maybe some programming, possibly video editing, etc.

I've always really wanted a Air because of the design, it just looks so beautiful; but should I give that up for performance from the 2019 Pro? From the videos I've watched I've learned the Pro performs faster.

????1... ???? ??? ?????? ???? ????????? ??? ????? ????? ??? ????? ????? ????? ???????? ?? '???, ????, ?????'. ???? ???? ????? ???? ?????????, ?? ??? ???? ????????.

I'd get nether. unless you have something that requires MacOS which I don't see. just get a nice windows laptop for 200-300 less or if you need a mac and can deal with the size get a late 2013 17in with dual graphics, don't need the power get a 2015 13in and you can still upgrade the storage.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Personally the thing I’d consider between the two of these is the keyboard. If I’m not mistaken the 2020 Air has a Magic Keyboard and the 2019 Pro has Butterfly switches. As a 2018 MacBook Pro owner let me tell you: these things WILL break. My space bar already started double tapping 3 months into owning it. Mind you, Apple will replace these for free as many times as you need, and the repair process only took 3 days. If you absolutely can’t wait, I think I’d recommend the Air just because of this. The performance hit will suck, but unless you really need that power it should be fine. If you can wait I’d buy one around August when there will be huge deals on the new MacBook Pros. If you get one of these you’ll get MUCH better performance than even the 2019, a good keyboard, more storage, a better screen, ect. Totally worth it over the Air if you can either take the cost or wait a little while. Hope this helps :)

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I'd get nether. unless you have something that requires MacOS which I don't see. just get a nice windows laptop for 200-300 less or if you need a mac and can deal with the size get a late 2013 17in with dual graphics, don't need the power get a 2015 13in and you can still upgrade the storage.

I just like the feel and premiums, and always wanted a nice looking mac, I totally understand your point, but I just can't resist haha! 

????1... ???? ??? ?????? ???? ????????? ??? ????? ????? ??? ????? ????? ????? ???????? ?? '???, ????, ?????'. ???? ???? ????? ???? ?????????, ?? ??? ???? ????????.

2 minutes ago, aaron.exe said:

Personally the thing I’d consider between the two of these is the keyboard. If I’m not mistaken the 2020 Air has a Magic Keyboard and the 2019 Pro has Butterfly switches. As a 2018 MacBook Pro owner let me tell you: these things WILL break. My space bar already started double tapping 3 months into owning it. Mind you, Apple will replace these for free as many times as you need, and the repair process only took 3 days. If you absolutely can’t wait, I think I’d recommend the Air just because of this. The performance hit will suck, but unless you really need that power it should be fine. If you can wait I’d buy one around August when there will be huge deals on the new MacBook Pros. If you get one of these you’ll get MUCH better performance than even the 2019, a good keyboard, more storage, a better screen, ect. Totally worth it over the Air if you can either take the cost or wait a little while. Hope this helps :)

But do you think, as a high school student would the air suite all the needs?

10 minutes ago, name1 said:

But do you think, as a high school student would the air suite all the needs?

Potentially. A lot of it depends on your own needs. If you’re just using Google Docs to type papers and creating an occasional slideshow, absolutely. If you wanted to start editing videos you MIGHT be able to do this on a base Air. Also, I’d consider how long you want to use the machine. MacBooks last a long time, and if you’re a junior in High School this could be the laptop you use until the end of college. Judge your needs not just for now but for then too. How well will a base i3 and 256GB if storage hold up in say, 2025. Again, if you can wait like two months you’ll end up with a better laptop for years. Just something to think about. 

23 minutes ago, aaron.exe said:

Potentially. A lot of it depends on your own needs. If you’re just using Google Docs to type papers and creating an occasional slideshow, absolutely. If you wanted to start editing videos you MIGHT be able to do this on a base Air. Also, I’d consider how long you want to use the machine. MacBooks last a long time, and if you’re a junior in High School this could be the laptop you use until the end of college. Judge your needs not just for now but for then too. How well will a base i3 and 256GB if storage hold up in say, 2025. Again, if you can wait like two months you’ll end up with a better laptop for years. Just something to think about. 

Mmmm, thanks for the precious advice. Although most likely most people who purchase this laptop won't use it for it's maximum life span, and me personally thinking that I'm in that "most likely most people" category, I would probably sell this as used after 2-3 years of usage to buy either a windows or a newer macbook. 

And also the newer pro may be appealing, I've been craving a Air for the past year!

Stay safe, good luck with things.

46 minutes ago, name1 said:

I just like the feel and premiums, and always wanted a nice looking mac, I totally understand your point, but I just can't resist haha! 

I'd look at HP probook 445 g7 and 455 g7. well built looks decent other than needing a 16x10 screen. plenty of storage (m.2 and 2.5in) and easy to upgrade ram. even on the small battery should last all day with the new 4000 ryzen chips. I got a review of the last gen one

4 minutes ago, name1 said:

Mmmm, thanks for the precious advice. Although most likely most people who purchase this laptop won't use it for it's maximum life span, and me personally thinking that I'm in that "most likely most people" category, I would probably sell this as used after 2-3 years of usage to buy either a windows or a newer macbook.

Most people tend to get something really cheap and then use it till it dies. even in a school setting as a teacher you'd be expected to use it for 4-5

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

22 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I'd look at HP probook 445 g7 and 455 g7. well built looks decent other than needing a 16x10 screen. plenty of storage (m.2 and 2.5in) and easy to upgrade ram. even on the small battery should last all day with the new 4000 ryzen chips. I got a review of the last gen one

Most people tend to get something really cheap and then use it till it dies. even in a school setting as a teacher you'd be expected to use it for 4-5

Thanks for the HP suggestion, but I am just I'm going to go with the Air and I don't know if I'll last 4-5 years with it but I think the base model will last me around 2-3 years as I can live with slow things, like I can manage it; the computer I'm typing this message on right now is almost 5 years old! So yeah I'll just try to use it for as long as possible, if I get enough to purchase it soon.

5 minutes ago, name1 said:

Thanks for the HP suggestion, but I am just I'm going to go with the Air and I don't know if I'll last 4-5 years with it but I think the base model will last me around 2-3 years as I can live with slow things, like I can manage it; the computer I'm typing this message on right now is almost 5 years old! So yeah I'll just try to use it for as long as possible, if I get enough to purchase it soon.

get the quad core option and 16gb of ram at least. that will help it go a long way. that is 300$ in upgrades. 16gb of ram is basically a requirement now thats only 200$. also see if you know someone who qualify for apples college discount.

if you spending your own I highly recommend looking at a windows PC. you get better specs for the money, macOS has lost many of the special features it once held like being best platform for creators with FCP and others.

30 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

get the quad core option and 16gb of ram at least. that will help it go a long way. that is 300$ in upgrades. 16gb of ram is basically a requirement now thats only 200$. also see if you know someone who qualify for apples college discount.

if you spending your own I highly recommend looking at a windows PC. you get better specs for the money, macOS has lost many of the special features it once held like being best platform for creators with FCP and others.

I would but unfortunately for me that’s going to total over 500 dollars as I live in Canada, and then the additional taxes... It would be way to over budget for me, but I have heard about the older macbook air’s, like the 2017, I have heard and watch some youtube videos that how there pretty usable today, and how people are buying them even today. But, do you think the fate of the macbook air 2020 will go on as of the 2017? Because honestly if it lasts me 3 years I’m going to be happy. 

Also yes windows laptops are a considerable choice for me but, for now I’m just soooo in want of a macbook.

1 minute ago, name1 said:

I would but unfortunately for me that’s going to total over 500 dollars as I live in Canada, and then the additional taxes... It would be way to over budget for me, but I have heard about the older macbook air’s, like the 2017, I have heard and watch some youtube videos that how there pretty usable today, and how people are buying them even today. But, do you think the fate of the macbook air 2020 will go on as of the 2017? Because honestly if it lasts me 3 years I’m going to be happy. 

Also yes windows laptops are a considerable choice for me but, for now I’m just soooo in want of a macbook.

then don't get a mac. the base models don't do well as 8gb of ram is like 2015 good and so is the dual core.

the thing is those if I'm not mistaken have a meh screen.

then look at some of the nicer PCs like probooks or asus G14s. don't get draw in to that mac hype, you don't need a mac for school.

43 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

then don't get a mac. the base models don't do well as 8gb of ram is like 2015 good and so is the dual core.

the thing is those if I'm not mistaken have a meh screen.

then look at some of the nicer PCs like probooks or asus G14s. don't get draw in to that mac hype, you don't need a mac for school.

Okay, thanks for your help in shaping my choices.