Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
steelman

1000/1200 psu in 900 watt appartement

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Can a  1000/1200 watt psu be used when  electric  meter  can only 900 watt? As fas I know, psu only draw power  as much as  the computer needs

Link to post
Share on other sites

You will need a better power source and circuitry that can handle it.


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, steelman said:

Will  850 watt platinum  psu be okay or should I pick  a lower wattage psu.  Pcpartpicker   estimates that my planned rig will consume  579-  629 watt depending on the graphic card. 

 

Hard to say without knowing the parts. Why does the electric meter do only 900W? Looking at the be quiet Straight Power 11 Platinum 850W, it draws 10A on 100V so that's 1000W, 5A on 240V = 1200W. So if you use them even at 90% load, the meter would be at it's limits.


CPU: 19-9900KS  MotherboardGigabyte H31OM DS2V DDR3  CPU Cooler: Coolet Master Hyper T2  GPU: Dataland RTX 550 Duel Cool 4 GB(using the software-overclock since it makes about a 3fps difference in GTAV)  RAM: Kingstom blue fury 16GIGS DDR3 1333MHz + 16GB Corshair 1600Mhz (running at 1333Mhz) RAM stick  

Case: Phantek Enthoo Pro M with a fibreglass side panel  PSU: SeaSonic M12 SS-70OHM 700WATTS 80+ White 

Storage: Kingstone A4OO 1.92TB + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home Displays: A0C AG241QX (23.8" 2K 144hz TN, duel monitor setup)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Ralf said:

Hard to say without knowing the parts. Why does the electric meter do only 900W? Looking at the be quiet Straight Power 11 Platinum 850W, it draws 10A on 100V so that's 1000W, 5A on 240V = 1200W. So if you use them even at 90% load, the meter would be at it's limits.

After a  check, turns out it's 1300 watt.  My apartement uses 230 v, 5(60) a, 50 hz. I assume it was  900 watt because my breaker always tripped when my cooker and old air conditioner were  on at the same time. 

Edited by steelman
Fixed a typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, steelman said:

Will  850 watt platinum  psu be okay or should I pick  a lower wattage psu.  Pcpartpicker   estimates that my planned rig will consume  579-  629 watt depending on the graphic card. 

 

What cpu and gpu are you using ? 


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

-= Topic Cleaned =-

 

Please keep conversation helpful and refrain from derailing.


Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

 

Spoiler

 †  

 

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

 

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

 

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

 

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

 

 CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, steelman said:

After a  check, turns out it's 1300 watt.  My apartement uses 230 v, 5(60) a, 50 hz. I assume it was  900 watt because my breaker always tripped when my cooker and old air conditioner were  on at the same time. 

Only time the PSU will draw more than what the system requires is when it "fills" its bulk caps. 

 

Which is a very short moment of high amperage load, you are unlikely to run into that as an issues. Tho you probanly dont need more than a 650w or 750w PSU at the higher end of guesstimates. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, lee32uk said:

What cpu and gpu are you using ? 

Ryzen 9 3950 x( already bought) and  probably msi gaming x trio.   Msi listed x trio power consumption at 260 watt although   pcpartpicker listed 300 watt.  I am planning to  upgrade to 3080ti next year,  so  my  gpu's power consumption will probably be around   300-350 watt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Only time the PSU will draw more than what the system requires is when it "fills" its bulk caps. 

 

Which is a very short moment of high amperage load, you are unlikely to run into that as an issues. Tho you probanly dont need more than a 650w or 750w PSU at the higher end of guesstimates. 

When does psu usually fill its bulk caps?  What triggers  moment of high ampere load. 

Be quiet straight power 11 platinum 750 watt draws the same amount of ac input as  the 850 watt version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steelman said:

Ryzen 9 3950 x( already bought) and  probably msi gaming x trio.   Msi listed x trio power consumption at 260 watt although   pcpartpicker listed 300 watt.  I am planning to  upgrade to 3080ti next year,  so  my  gpu's power consumption will probably be around   300-350 watt.

The Nvidia gpu's are becoming more power efficient. No way they will be anywhere near that power consumption. You would be fine with a 650W psu.


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steelman said:

When does psu usually fill its bulk caps?  What triggers  moment of high ampere load. 

When a power supply is first switched on (at the wall or the switch on the PSU) the primary cap(s) will charge. This will cause a brief spike in current known as inrush current. Generally speaking higher wattage power supplies will have higher inrush current as they have larger caps. This power spike can in some cases be enough to trip the breaker, especially if there are other devices running off the same circuit. Most power supplies will feature a NTC thermistor which adds resistance and limits the current spike.

 

21 hours ago, steelman said:

As fas I know, psu only draw power  as much as  the computer needs

That is correct. It will only draw what it needs to power the system, minus anything lost due to efficiency loses. For example a 1000w power supply (90% efficient) with a system that is drawing 200w would draw 222w from the wall.


CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, steelman said:

When does psu usually fill its bulk caps?  What triggers  moment of high ampere load. 

As explained above, whenever its turned on and the caps arent allready filled. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 hours ago, Spotty said:

When a power supply is first switched on (at the wall or the switch on the PSU) the primary cap(s) will charge. This will cause a brief spike in current known as inrush current. Generally speaking higher wattage power supplies will have higher inrush current as they have larger caps. This power spike can in some cases be enough to trip the breaker, especially if there are other devices running off the same circuit. Most power supplies will feature a NTC thermistor which adds resistance and limits the current spike.

 

That is correct. It will only draw what it needs to power the system, minus anything lost due to efficiency loses. For example a 1000w power supply (90% efficient) with a system that is drawing 200w would draw 222w from the wall.

I found that My circuit breaker is only  6 amp.  230volt 5(60) a,  50 hz.

 

 I have done  a mini research on tom's hardware and techpowerup and found that  750w 850  w psus from seasonic and corsair have high inrush current  on 230 volt. They have  inrush current  that are  between 61-75 amp on 230 volt. 

 

Will my circuit breaker trip?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×