1000/1200 psu in 900 watt appartement

steelman

Can a  1000/1200 watt psu be used when  electric  meter  can only 900 watt? As fas I know, psu only draw power  as much as  the computer needs

You will need a better power source and circuitry that can handle it.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

9 minutes ago, steelman said:

Will  850 watt platinum  psu be okay or should I pick  a lower wattage psu.  Pcpartpicker   estimates that my planned rig will consume  579-  629 watt depending on the graphic card. 

Hard to say without knowing the parts. Why does the electric meter do only 900W? Looking at the be quiet Straight Power 11 Platinum 850W, it draws 10A on 100V so that's 1000W, 5A on 240V = 1200W. So if you use them even at 90% load, the meter would be at it's limits.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

1 hour ago, Ralf said:

Hard to say without knowing the parts. Why does the electric meter do only 900W? Looking at the be quiet Straight Power 11 Platinum 850W, it draws 10A on 100V so that's 1000W, 5A on 240V = 1200W. So if you use them even at 90% load, the meter would be at it's limits.

After a  check, turns out it's 1300 watt.  My apartement uses 230 v, 5(60) a, 50 hz. I assume it was  900 watt because my breaker always tripped when my cooker and old air conditioner were  on at the same time. 

Edited by steelman
Fixed a typo

8 hours ago, steelman said:

Will  850 watt platinum  psu be okay or should I pick  a lower wattage psu.  Pcpartpicker   estimates that my planned rig will consume  579-  629 watt depending on the graphic card. 

What cpu and gpu are you using ? 

-= Topic Cleaned =-

Please keep conversation helpful and refrain from derailing.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 hours ago, steelman said:

After a  check, turns out it's 1300 watt.  My apartement uses 230 v, 5(60) a, 50 hz. I assume it was  900 watt because my breaker always tripped when my cooker and old air conditioner were  on at the same time. 

Only time the PSU will draw more than what the system requires is when it "fills" its bulk caps. 

Which is a very short moment of high amperage load, you are unlikely to run into that as an issues. Tho you probanly dont need more than a 650w or 750w PSU at the higher end of guesstimates. 

5 hours ago, lee32uk said:

What cpu and gpu are you using ? 

Ryzen 9 3950 x( already bought) and  probably msi gaming x trio.   Msi listed x trio power consumption at 260 watt although   pcpartpicker listed 300 watt.  I am planning to  upgrade to 3080ti next year,  so  my  gpu's power consumption will probably be around   300-350 watt.

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Only time the PSU will draw more than what the system requires is when it "fills" its bulk caps. 

Which is a very short moment of high amperage load, you are unlikely to run into that as an issues. Tho you probanly dont need more than a 650w or 750w PSU at the higher end of guesstimates. 

When does psu usually fill its bulk caps?  What triggers  moment of high ampere load. 

Be quiet straight power 11 platinum 750 watt draws the same amount of ac input as  the 850 watt version.

1 hour ago, steelman said:

Ryzen 9 3950 x( already bought) and  probably msi gaming x trio.   Msi listed x trio power consumption at 260 watt although   pcpartpicker listed 300 watt.  I am planning to  upgrade to 3080ti next year,  so  my  gpu's power consumption will probably be around   300-350 watt.

The Nvidia gpu's are becoming more power efficient. No way they will be anywhere near that power consumption. You would be fine with a 650W psu.

1 hour ago, steelman said:

When does psu usually fill its bulk caps?  What triggers  moment of high ampere load. 

When a power supply is first switched on (at the wall or the switch on the PSU) the primary cap(s) will charge. This will cause a brief spike in current known as inrush current. Generally speaking higher wattage power supplies will have higher inrush current as they have larger caps. This power spike can in some cases be enough to trip the breaker, especially if there are other devices running off the same circuit. Most power supplies will feature a NTC thermistor which adds resistance and limits the current spike.

21 hours ago, steelman said:

As fas I know, psu only draw power  as much as  the computer needs

That is correct. It will only draw what it needs to power the system, minus anything lost due to efficiency loses. For example a 1000w power supply (90% efficient) with a system that is drawing 200w would draw 222w from the wall.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, steelman said:

As explained above, whenever its turned on and the caps arent allready filled. 

22 hours ago, Spotty said:

When a power supply is first switched on (at the wall or the switch on the PSU) the primary cap(s) will charge. This will cause a brief spike in current known as inrush current. Generally speaking higher wattage power supplies will have higher inrush current as they have larger caps. This power spike can in some cases be enough to trip the breaker, especially if there are other devices running off the same circuit. Most power supplies will feature a NTC thermistor which adds resistance and limits the current spike.

That is correct. It will only draw what it needs to power the system, minus anything lost due to efficiency loses. For example a 1000w power supply (90% efficient) with a system that is drawing 200w would draw 222w from the wall.

I found that My circuit breaker is only  6 amp.  230volt 5(60) a,  50 hz.

I have done  a mini research on tom's hardware and techpowerup and found that  750w 850  w psus from seasonic and corsair have high inrush current  on 230 volt. They have  inrush current  that are  between 61-75 amp on 230 volt. 

Will my circuit breaker trip?