Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
matrixmodulator

Undo quick format in win10 by error, possible?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi everyone, my friend did a quick format using the disk manager of windows by error.

What is the best undo format feature software that's free and works ?

He's trippin bad right now, lost all data on a 2TB drive lol
Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

Hi everyone, my friend did a quick format using the disk manager of windows by error.

What is the best undo format feature software that's free and works ?

He's trippin bad right now, lost all data on a 2TB drive lol
Thanks!

Data recovery services should be able to recover it as long as nobody touched the drive since.

In quick format the data isn't deleted - the partition data is just overwritten.


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Data recovery services should be able to recover it as long as nobody touched the drive since.

In quick format the data isn't deleted - the partition data is just overwritten.

Thanks but i'm looking for a free software. I did it like that about 10 years ago, i expect it's possible theses days too. I just dont remember what i did back then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

Thanks but i'm looking for a free software. I did it like that about 10 years ago, i expect it's possible theses days too. I just dont remember what i did back then.

Testdisk or Recuva are the 2 free options I recommend for file undeletion or recovery from partition formats. That being said, my go-to recovery solution is Runtime Software's GetDataBack, though it's not free. https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm


Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell - Unlimited Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | HP Touchpad | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like @Vishera said if the data is important/valuable professional data recovery is recommended. If you plan on doing it yourself i agree with @kirashi test disk looks the part, its well reviewed and meets your budget of $0. I've not used it myself so can't say personally, i have used easeUS a couple of times but only to recover specific files, the free version also has a size limit. Remember use at your own risk, there are no guarantees. If you get it wrong you can damage the data stopping any future attempts to recover it. Also good luck. 😛

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

Like @Vishera said if the data is important/valuable professional data recovery is recommended. If you plan on doing it yourself i agree with @kirashi test disk looks the part, its well reviewed and meets your budget of $0. I've not used it myself so can't say personally, i have used easeUS a couple of times but only to recover specific files, the free version also has a size limit. Remember use at your own risk, there are no guarantees. If you get it wrong you can damage the data stopping any future attempts to recover it. Also good luck. 😛

For some reason your comment gave me the idea of doing a sector by sector clone,then testing on the clone :D


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×