Undo quick format in win10 by error, possible?

matrixmodulator

Hi everyone, my friend did a quick format using the disk manager of windows by error.

What is the best undo format feature software that's free and works ?

He's trippin bad right now, lost all data on a 2TB drive lol
Thanks!

17 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

Hi everyone, my friend did a quick format using the disk manager of windows by error.

What is the best undo format feature software that's free and works ?

He's trippin bad right now, lost all data on a 2TB drive lol
Thanks!

Data recovery services should be able to recover it as long as nobody touched the drive since.

In quick format the data isn't deleted - the partition data is just overwritten.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

17 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Data recovery services should be able to recover it as long as nobody touched the drive since.

In quick format the data isn't deleted - the partition data is just overwritten.

Thanks but i'm looking for a free software. I did it like that about 10 years ago, i expect it's possible theses days too. I just dont remember what i did back then.

9 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

Thanks but i'm looking for a free software. I did it like that about 10 years ago, i expect it's possible theses days too. I just dont remember what i did back then.

Testdisk or Recuva are the 2 free options I recommend for file undeletion or recovery from partition formats. That being said, my go-to recovery solution is Runtime Software's GetDataBack, though it's not free. https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Like @Vishera said if the data is important/valuable professional data recovery is recommended. If you plan on doing it yourself i agree with @kirashi test disk looks the part, its well reviewed and meets your budget of $0. I've not used it myself so can't say personally, i have used easeUS a couple of times but only to recover specific files, the free version also has a size limit. Remember use at your own risk, there are no guarantees. If you get it wrong you can damage the data stopping any future attempts to recover it. Also good luck. 😛

22 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

Like @Vishera said if the data is important/valuable professional data recovery is recommended. If you plan on doing it yourself i agree with @kirashi test disk looks the part, its well reviewed and meets your budget of $0. I've not used it myself so can't say personally, i have used easeUS a couple of times but only to recover specific files, the free version also has a size limit. Remember use at your own risk, there are no guarantees. If you get it wrong you can damage the data stopping any future attempts to recover it. Also good luck. 😛

For some reason your comment gave me the idea of doing a sector by sector clone,then testing on the clone :D

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566