Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Electrifly

I am so confused. I need help.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am going to build my first gaming pc preferably fo VR but it is ok if it doesn't work. I at least want to be able to run games such as Overwatch or Steam games. The problem is I don't know how to check if the parts I am planning on ordering are compatible or if they will even run VR games. I also don't know how to check what kind of power supply I would need. Also, if you have any recommendations for cheaper (but still great for VR gaming) parts please let me know.

So far I have:

- Ryzen 5 3600 processor

- MSI ProSeries AMD Ryzen 2ND and 3rd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 D-Sub DVI HDMI Crossfire ATX Motherboard (B450-A Pro Max) (B450APROMAX)

- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black

- MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 128-Bit HDMI/DP 4GB GDRR5 HDCP Support DirectX 12 Dual Fan VR Ready OC Graphics Card (GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G)

- Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch – Frustration Free Packaging (ST2000DM008)

- darkFlash DLM21 MESH Micro ATX Mini ITX Tower MicroATX Computer Case with Door Opening Tempered Glass Side Panel & Mesh Front Panel

- No Power Supply (please let me know what is compatible)

Thank you for your time and help

You can use PCPartPicker to see if parts are compatible, including if a cooler height will be incompatible with a chassis. 

https://pcpartpicker.com

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

2 minutes ago, Electrifly said:

Alright I will check it out. Thanks

Your motherboard is incompatible with your chassis though. The chassis supports a max of microATX, but the motherboard is ATX, so it's too big.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Your motherboard is incompatible with your chassis though. The chassis supports a max of microATX, but the motherboard is ATX, so it's too big.

What would you recommend then?

3 minutes ago, Electrifly said:

Alright I will check it out. Thanks

That needs some changes if you will build it. Try getting a AMD ryzen 3100 and a Nvidia GTX 1600 SUPER or EVGA RTX 2060 KO instead, since that will bring better performance in games. Also try getting a SSD in there, just 128gb will work, trust me (everybody that says it), it's worth it. otherwise the Build isn't too bad but could use some minor changes. the Above mentioned, though will bring the greatest change in performance. I beileve godlygamer is correct, so maybe try a PHANTEK p300a with a arctic p12 value pack (for fans).

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Motherboard Tier LIst

PC Troubleshooting

You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Just now, PyroTheWise said:

You can get a different case or a different motherboard

Which do you prefer?

If the motherboard would affect gameplay then I would rather get a new motherboard, but if I just need a bigger case, I could do that

1 minute ago, PyroTheWise said:

You can get a different case or a different motherboard

Which do you prefer?

Use pcpartpicker to ensure compatibility. Also, get a better GPU for that Ryzen 5 3600. I suggest a gtx 1070 ti for that ryzen 5 3600, but definitely get a better GPU if your budget allows you to. Also, you have a 3rd gen ryzen, so I your motherboard may need a bios update for support 3rd gen ryzen, now MSI is a great brand with updates on BIOS, but to be safe, probably a good idea to downgrade to a 2nd gen ryzen, because then you know by fact it will work with that board

You can get quality ATX or micro-ATX motherboards that will do great.   It really depends on how much you want to spend and how big of a case you want.

ATX boards go in cases that are mid tower cases and generally provide more room for an easier build over a micro-ATX (in my opinion).   Micro-ATX cases are smaller and easier to put places.

It really depends on what you want.

For the case, probably a phanteks p350x is a good idea if you have RGB or want to show off your system, but if not, get the corsair carbide 200r is a good case since it has great cooling. For the PSU, I think a 500 watt bronze power supply is enough unless you are overclocking. Get your PSU from EVGA or Corsair

Your best gains will be in the GPU arena, but you need to make sure as others have stated that the Mobo fits your case.  Also look at what air cooler you can fit for your CPU in the case.  A new case would be a less expensive change.  I have the same memory and I love it.  I have a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG case and it was very easy to work with routing cables.

I am still having a little trouble. I decided to downgrade the processor to a 2nd gen Ryzen so that I didn't need to to any BIOS updates to the motherboard but all of the GPU's that were suggested are not compatible. Does anyone know of any great GPUs that work with 2nd gen Ryzen or a specific brand i should look at?

- Thread moved to New Builds and Planning.

Spoiler

Remember to quote me or tag me to get my attention in a post!

Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): R5 2400G | Noctua L9a | VTX R9 Nano 4GB | 2x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (@2400MHz) | ASRock A300M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6s + 2TB Seagate FireCuda 2TB 5400RPM SSHD | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice) Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): R5 1500X | Stock AMD Cooler | ASRock B450 Pro4 | Asus HD 7970 3GB Matrix Platinum | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 | Crucial BX200 240GB | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig): G3258 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Sapphire R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist | PSU Tier List F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

14 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

That needs some changes if you will build it. Try getting a AMD ryzen 3100 and a Nvidia GTX 1600 SUPER or EVGA RTX 2060 KO instead, since that will bring better performance in games. Also try getting a SSD in there, just 128gb will work, trust me (everybody that says it), it's worth it. otherwise the Build isn't too bad but could use some minor changes. the Above mentioned, though will bring the greatest change in performance. I beileve godlygamer is correct, so maybe try a PHANTEK p300a with a arctic p12 value pack (for fans).

Do you mean 1650S or 1660S?

EDIT: Sorry, I was confused. Didn't realized it is written at The top

I am looking through the compatible parts and I dont see either of those. Should I get a different motherboard or a different processor? I don't know what to change to make one of the recommended GPUs to work

12 hours ago, youngboy said:

For the case, probably a phanteks p350x is a good idea if you have RGB or want to show off your system, but if not, get the corsair carbide 200r is a good case since it has great cooling. For the PSU, I think a 500 watt bronze power supply is enough unless you are overclocking. Get your PSU from EVGA or Corsair

I wouldn't just get a PSU from EVGA because some of their units are terrible.

12 hours ago, Electrifly said:

I am still having a little trouble. I decided to downgrade the processor to a 2nd gen Ryzen so that I didn't need to to any BIOS updates to the motherboard but all of the GPU's that were suggested are not compatible. Does anyone know of any great GPUs that work with 2nd gen Ryzen or a specific brand i should look at?

Can you link your build here? I'd like to see what you're trying to put together, specifically the incompatibility with the GPUs. Might be because the cards are too long. 

3 minutes ago, Electrifly said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

I am still looking for a GPU. I want one that is cheap (maybe $200 and lower) but still effective for VR. I just put the cheapest one in my list. That probably isn't helpful.

What issues were you seeing exactly? I see one that is about BIOS updates and physical dimensions not being able to be determined. I've added a couple cards and I haven't found any issues. What graphics cards did you choose?

I wasn't sure if I needed a new motherboard for the Ryzen 5 3600 so that I dont need to do BIOS updates, and I just don't know how to find a good graphics card that would work for what I want it to do. Currently I just have the EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card. I also am not sure about the power supply. The estimated wattage said about 244W and i don't know if I am supposed to find a power supply close to that or above or under.

9 minutes ago, Electrifly said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

I am still looking for a GPU. I want one that is cheap (maybe $200 and lower) but still effective for VR. I just put the cheapest one in my list. That probably isn't helpful.

You need to post the link from the share field and not from your url bar

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Electrifly said:

Based on the link, I don't see any incompatibilities at all. The build looks good, though I would recommend throwing in an SSD if you can spare the money.