WHEA 17 logger and power kernel 41 error

Hello all, 

I am getting frequent (every 5-15 minutes) crashes on my system (the screen turns black then the system reboots). After each crash the event logger shows WHEA logger 17, PCI Express endpoint and Power-Kernel 41 error. Any help would be much appreciated :) 

specs: 

Ryzen 3700

Gigabyte X570 gaming

RTX 2080S

Samsung 1TB SSD

EVGA 750W Bronze PSU

16 GB RAM

Ive already:

Run DISM

SFC

DIRECTX UPDATE

NVIDIA DRIVERS UPDATE

WINDOWS UPDATE

BIOS UPDATE (When I update BIOS to any version more recent than the one I have, the WHEA 17 stops and but the crashes continue and give me a WHEA 18: Processor Core instead, so I rolled back the BIOS) 

WINDOWS CLEAN DRIVE REINSTALL 

Checked Temps: They are good

I’d really appreciate any and all help 

@Ntwizard If you want you can do this by the KBD way.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/troubleshoot-event-id-41-restart

Read the part of converting the values to HEX using the calculator. That should be fun. Until then there is no valuable information. That code 18 just means your water cooler is not playing with your fan speed most likely.

Textisaurus; shipping from life with love, stantsiya mir was a weird encounter, stantsiya novy afon...

1 hour ago, Ntwizard said:

Hello all, 

I am getting frequent (every 5-15 minutes) crashes on my system (the screen turns black then the system reboots). After each crash the event logger shows WHEA logger 17, PCI Express endpoint and Power-Kernel 41 error. Any help would be much appreciated :) 

specs: 

Ryzen 3700

Gigabyte X570 gaming

RTX 2080S

Samsung 1TB SSD

EVGA 750W Bronze PSU

16 GB RAM

Ive already:

Run DISM

SFC

DIRECTX UPDATE

NVIDIA DRIVERS UPDATE

WINDOWS UPDATE

BIOS UPDATE (When I update BIOS to any version more recent than the one I have, the WHEA 17 stops and but the crashes continue and give me a WHEA 18: Processor Core instead, so I rolled back the BIOS) 

WINDOWS CLEAN DRIVE REINSTALL 

Checked Temps: They are good

I’d really appreciate any and all help 

The very last post to this thread in the link below, the cure for the Power Kernal Error 41 resolve was a new PSU.

I don't know exactly if that will work for you, but that's one of the first threads that popped up about your particular issues.

https://community.amd.com/thread/241695

1 hour ago, Whirledcast said:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/troubleshoot-event-id-41-restart

Read the part of converting the values to HEX using the calculator. That should be fun. Until then there is no valuable information. That code 18 just means your water cooler is not playing with your fan speed most likely.

First off, thank you so much for taking the time to read this. 

Sounds like a good time :) I’ll get on that hex calculator thing

also as a clarifier, I am not getting the whea 18 error anymore as I reverted the bios to the original version

39 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The very last post to this thread in the link below, the cure for the Power Kernal Error 41 resolve was a new PSU.

I don't know exactly if that will work for you, but that's one of the first threads that popped up about your particular issues.

https://community.amd.com/thread/241695

I truly appreciate you taking the time to read my issue. I have read these threads and I have the PSU replacement on my list of possible solutions but I would really like to avoid spending money on replacement parts unless necessary, especially as some others with my issue have gotten it resolved without replacing hardware 

1 minute ago, Ntwizard said:

I truly appreciate you taking the time to read my issue. I have read these threads and I have the PSU replacement on my list of possible solutions but I would really like to avoid spending money on replacement parts unless necessary, especially as some others with my issue have gotten it resolved without replacing hardware 

It's cool, I totally understand. If it makes you feel any better, I have the exact same PSU in my HTPC. It's been there since 2017. No issues yet. Powers a 2700X and 2060 finely after I upgraded from a 1400 and A320 chipset just recently.

So to not spend money, here's what I would do. Try a different Cpu or different motherboard. If available. 

If you can't and don't have money and hardware, let's move to some basic diag.

Post the PC and enter Bios. Increase the LLC from auto to the second highest setting. If LLC is not available in bios, Increase cpu v-core by using the positive offset. This will hint to us if the Cpu is an issue or not while the additional voltage may help the Error 41 issue.

In the end, if some basic diag doesn't help repair the issue, I would RMA both the Cpu and motherboard at the same time just because you have nothing else to test with. You'll cover 1st and 3rd bases that way.

1 hour ago, Whirledcast said:

Interestingly, I am unable to convert the errors, as they are supposed to have a “0x” followed by 8 digits, where my error codes are solely 

“0x0”

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's cool, I totally understand. If it makes you feel any better, I have the exact same PSU in my HTPC. It's been there since 2017. No issues yet. Powers a 2700X and 2060 finely after I upgraded from a 1400 and A320 chipset just recently.

So to not spend money, here's what I would do. Try a different Cpu or different motherboard. If available. 

If you can't and don't have money and hardware, let's move to some basic diag.

Post the PC and enter Bios. Increase the LLC from auto to the second highest setting. If LLC is not available in bios, Increase cpu v-core by using the positive offset. This will hint to us if the Cpu is an issue or not while the additional voltage may help the Error 41 issue.

In the end, if some basic diag doesn't help repair the issue, I would RMA both the Cpu and motherboard at the same time just because you have nothing else to test with. You'll cover 1st and 3rd bases that way.

Thanks so much for the suggestion! Would this be the CPU Vcore LLC or the Vcore SOC LLC? I am not knowledgeable enough to guess 😅

1 minute ago, Ntwizard said:

Thanks so much for the suggestion! Would this be the CPU Vcore LLC or the Vcore SOC LLC? I am not knowledgeable enough to guess 😅

Yes Cpu V-core LLC. The other one is for the memory controller.

13 minutes ago, Ntwizard said:

Interestingly, I am unable to convert the errors, as they are supposed to have a “0x” followed by 8 digits, where my error codes are solely 

“0x0”

You're not reading the entire article.

You need to find the code in a text file.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/askcore/how-to-debug-kernel-mode-blue-screen-crashes-for-beginners

The code sometimes appears on the blue screen. But, saved to a file. If Windows you have the ability to change how much info to extract. In advanced computer settings.

Textisaurus; shipping from life with love, stantsiya mir was a weird encounter, stantsiya novy afon...

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yes Cpu V-core LLC. The other one is for the memory controller.

Having done that I am unfortunately still getting the same two errors. Still, thank you very much for the suggestions. This has been frustrating to try and work through, and attempting to receive help can be fruitless at times 

31 minutes ago, Whirledcast said:

You're not reading the entire article.

You need to find the code in a text file.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/askcore/how-to-debug-kernel-mode-blue-screen-crashes-for-beginners

The code sometimes appears on the blue screen. But, saved to a file. If Windows you have the ability to change how much info to extract. In advanced computer settings.

I must be dumb, I literally can not find how to transfer this error report to a text file and I’ve been looking for 20 mins 😅😅