Nvidia DSR: 1440p on a 1080p display???

Flyingchickennugget27

Recently i heard of nvidia DSR, what ive heard is that it can make games go on a higher resolution than your monitor, for example if i have a 1080p display and enable dsr it will look like 1440p???, i dont have a pc setup yet but i am building one very soon, if this is true then i can save money and get a 1080p monitor. Can someone please tell me if this is how it works and also if it works on RTX cards, thanks

yes that's how it works but the display itself is still 1080p so it won't look anywhere as good as 1440p on a 1440p monitor.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

6 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yes that's how it works but the display itself is still 1080p so it won't look anywhere as good as 1440p on a 1440p monitor.

Will it look better than 1080p??

1 minute ago, Flyingchickennugget27 said:

Will it look better than 1080p??

it's like 1080p with some very high anti-aliasing...basically...very clean 1080p...but 1080p none the less.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

44 minutes ago, Flyingchickennugget27 said:

Recently i heard of nvidia DSR, what ive heard is that it can make games go on a higher resolution than your monitor, for example if i have a 1080p display and enable dsr it will look like 1440p???, i dont have a pc setup yet but i am building one very soon, if this is true then i can save money and get a 1080p monitor. Can someone please tell me if this is how it works and also if it works on RTX cards, thanks

Common misconception about 1080p displays is that their pixel resolution and density is the reason games look bad in comparison to 1440p and 4k, whilst in reality a large portion of the image improvement is simply from the rendering resolution. if one was to render a game in 1080p on both a 4k display or 1440p display, the image would not look any better than a native 1080p display. However since most people immediately render at native, they incorrectly assume the improved image quality is the result of the increased PPI of the 1440p / 4k panel over that of the 1080p one.

i can assure you, you'd have to get up so close to a 27" 1080p display, ur face would be touching it, before the pixel density started to be the primary reason ur noticing aliasing.

DSR effectively increases the internal rendering resolution, and has the effect of reducing aliasing, thus is commonly called a form of anti aliasing. its basically downsampling from a higher resolution to fit ur native resolution.

On anything that deals with text, like the windows desktop, dont use it. The text is so small that the higher resolution ur trying to render from causes the text to be interpolated across the 1080p screen and looks blury as hell. But in games the rendering resolution and UI text is almost always separate and/or has a UI scaling option, so u can use DSR.

I use DSR when ever I play a game that leaves GPU horsepower spare,I downsample using DSR, usually 4k, especially games that dont have a 'proper' AA option, many of those only have TXAA and FXAA available which suck, so if theres no MSAA available ill usually just use a DSR resolution instead.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |