Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zadon

Where do I plug in my case fans?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I’m using an NZXT H710 case that comes with 3 front fans and 1 back fan.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming
PSU: Corsair TX750M

I am also using a Kraken x73 mounted to the top that has 3 fans, also need help as to where I plug those into.

Your motherboard only has 2 chasis fan so i would recommend connecting the 4 fans to the smart device v2 included with your case. You will need to use one of the included splitters to connect all 4. Then connect the smart device to power from the psu (I think it’s SATA) and a usb header on the motherboard.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

I think the Z390-F should have 2 fan headers on the top left of the RAM slots and above the top most PCIe slot respectively. However at least one of them is gonna be occupied by the CPU cooler, so you'll probably need some kind of splitter or fan hub.

PC:    CPU: Threadripper 2950x @4.25Ghz  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 SLI   I   COOLING: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3   I   RAM: 32GB 3200Mhz   I   

SSD: 2.5TB NVME; 1.5TB SATA   I   HDD: 12TB (3x4TB WD) I   PSU: Bequiet Straight Power 11 1000W   I    Case: Cooler Master H500 Mesh

2 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Your motherboard only has 2 chasis fan so i would recommend connecting the 4 fans to the smart device v2 included with your case. You will need to use one of the included splitters to connect all 4. Then connect the smart device to power from the psu (I think it’s SATA) and a usb header on the motherboard.

I am using the H710, not the H710i so there is no smart device?

2 minutes ago, Antares8001 said:

I think the Z390-F should have 2 fan headers right on the top left of the RAM slots and above the top most PCIe slots repsectively.

That’s CPU_FAN correct? I plug the pump into there right? 

6 minutes ago, Zadon said:

I am using the H710, not the H710i so there is no smart device?

Oh, then you are going to have to buy a fan hub.

5 minutes ago, Zadon said:

I’m pretty sure cpu_fan is for you cpu cooler/pump

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

4 minutes ago, Zadon said:

As far as I know it doesn't really matter as long as you remember where you plugged it in, so you can change the appropriate settings in the BIOS. It's been a hot second since I last built a system with an AIO, but I usually plug the radiator fans into the CPU headers and the pump into one of the CHA_FAN headers. But as I said I don't think it really matters as long as you remember it.

PC:    CPU: Threadripper 2950x @4.25Ghz  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 SLI   I   COOLING: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3   I   RAM: 32GB 3200Mhz   I   

SSD: 2.5TB NVME; 1.5TB SATA   I   HDD: 12TB (3x4TB WD) I   PSU: Bequiet Straight Power 11 1000W   I    Case: Cooler Master H500 Mesh

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

Oh, then you are going to have to buy a fan hub.

So in order to use the NZXT H710, I need to purchase a fan hub?

2 minutes ago, Zadon said:

So in order to use the NZXT H710, I need to purchase a fan hub?

No, in order to plug in all your fans. You can still  use 2 until then. It doesn’t affect the case itself

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

No, in order to plug in all your fans. You can still  use 2 until then. It doesn’t affect the case itself

Do I plug the fans into the motherboard? If so which fans would I plug in? The case fans (there is 4 case fans) or the Kraken x73 (There is 3 of those)

4 minutes ago, Zadon said:

Do I plug the fans into the motherboard? If so which fans would I plug in? The case fans (there is 4 case fans) or the Kraken x73 (There is 3 of those)

You have 7 fans in total? There are two ports dedicated to case fans but there might be other open ports you can plug additional into. It depends on the rest of your setup. In order to use all 7, you will need to get a fan hub and plug the fans into that. The fan hub then goes into the motherboard.

But for now, yes the fans go into the motherboard.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

9 minutes ago, Zadon said:

Definitely plug in the pump of the Kraken x73, I am not super familiar with the NZXT 710 but I am guessing the Kraken is mounted on the top of the case with the fans blowing air out of the case, am I correct in this assumption? If so I would plug in one of the intake fans in the front of the case and two of the radiator fans. Although I am surprised the kraken doesn't come with a fan fan splitter considering it comes with 3 fans. Anyway, as far as I know it's a pretty decent cooler and should be able to handle most CPUs fairly easily unless they're overclocked even with 2 fans. But I would definitely look into getting a fan hub or a few PWM-Y fan splitters asap.

You have 7 fans in total? There are two ports dedicated to case fans but there might be other open ports you can plug additional into. It depends on the rest of your setup. In order to use all 7, you will need to get a fan hub and plug the fans into that. The fan hub then goes into the motherboard.

But for now, yes the fans go into the motherboard.

Yes I have a total of 7 fans. 4 case fans and 3 fans for the Kraken x73. It sucks I can only use 2

2 minutes ago, Antares8001 said:

Definitely plug in the pump of the Kraken x73, I am not super familiar with the NZXT 710 but I am guessing the Kraken is mounted on the top of the case with the fans blowing air out of the case, am I correct in this assumption? If so I would plug in one of the intake fans in the front and two of the radiator fans. Although I am surprised the kraken doesn't come with a fan fan splitter considering it comes with 3 fans. Anyway, as far as I know it's a pretty decent cooler and should be able to handle most CPUs fairly easily unless they're overclocked even with 2 fans. But I would definitely look into getting a fan hub or a few PWM-Y dan splitters asap.

I don’t think it came with a splitter at all, unless I overlooked it. So I can only use 2 fans in total right now? I was thinking I could of used the PSU to power them but I’m not sure?

Just now, Zadon said:

Yes I have a total of 7 fans. 4 case fans and 3 fans for the Kraken x73. It sucks I can only use 2

CPU_FAN is a 4-pin PWM connector, so if you have no other PWM headers, you must use this one and a PWM hub with other 4-pin fans.

If you have 3-pin fans, and only two other headers, then you need a fan controller for non-PWM fans. If they are 2-pin/SATA/molex, then you just connect them to the PSU.

6 minutes ago, Zadon said:

I don’t think it came with a splitter at all, unless I overlooked it. So I can only use 2 fans in total right now? I was thinking I could of used the PSU to power them but I’m not sure?

I think the board should have 4 fan headers in total correct? So minus the pump you should be able to plug in 3 fans, shouldn't really matter where as all headers on the z390 should be PWM headers. If the PSU has connectors for the fans you can also connect the fans to them, however you'll loose the ability to control speed and get readouts.

4 minutes ago, Antares8001 said:

I think the board should have 4 fan headers in total correct? So minus the pump you should be able to plug in 3 fans, shouldn't really matter where as all headers on the z390 should be PWM headers. If the PSU has connectors for the fans you can also connect the fans to them, however you'll loose the ability to control speed and get readouts.

I got this from the Motherboard manual, but I believe I can only use CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2? Sorry I’m being stupid, I’m new to building.

Fan and pump connectors (4-pin CPU_FAN; 4-pin CPU_OPT; 5-pin EXT_FAN; 4-pin W_PUMP+; 4-pin AIO_PUMP; 4-pin CHA_FAN1-2; 4-pin M.2_FAN)

12 minutes ago, Kisai said:

CPU_FAN is a 4-pin PWM connector, so if you have no other PWM headers, you must use this one and a PWM hub with other 4-pin fans.

If you have 3-pin fans, and only two other headers, then you need a fan controller for non-PWM fans. If they are 2-pin/SATA/molex, then you just connect them to the PSU.

Don’t I use the cable with 2 wires from the Kraken x73 in the CPU_FAN?

15 minutes ago, Zadon said:

Don’t I use the cable with 2 wires from the Kraken x73 in the CPU_FAN?

The Kraken x73 has a 4-pin PWM header that goes to CPU_FAN.

Refer to the manual https://sta3-nzxtcorporation.netdna-ssl.com/uploads/download/attachment/847/KRAKEN-X_Manual_690x405_020720_for_web.pdf

There's 2 wires on a 4-pin connector that is plugged into it so the rpm's can be monitored. You can use other headers on the MB if they are also 4-pin for this.

13 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The Kraken x73 has a 4-pin PWM header that goes to CPU_FAN.

Refer to the manual https://sta3-nzxtcorporation.netdna-ssl.com/uploads/download/attachment/847/KRAKEN-X_Manual_690x405_020720_for_web.pdf

There's 2 wires on a 4-pin connector that is plugged into it so the rpm's can be monitored. You can use other headers on the MB if they are also 4-pin for this.

I took a picture of the 2 out of 3 wires that are plugged into the Kraken x73. The 3rd wire is the SATA which plugs into the PSU. I believe the left one (with 2 wires) plugs into the CPU_FAN? If not, is it the right one? What’s the other cable used for?

FEC93936-80EB-48BA-9212-8FAD4B70C490.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Zadon said:

I took a picture of the 2 out of 3 wires that are plugged into the Kraken x73. The 3rd wire is the SATA which plugs into the PSU. I believe the left one (with 2 wires) plugs into the CPU_FAN? If not, is it the right one? What’s the other cable used for?

FEC93936-80EB-48BA-9212-8FAD4B70C490.jpeg

The one on the left looks like the CPU_FAN one. It should be keyed to fit on it.

Just now, Kisai said:

The one on the left looks like the CPU_FAN one. It should be keyed to fit on it.

What is the one on the right for?

20 minutes ago, Zadon said:

What is the one on the right for?

It's not in focus enough to tell what it is, but based on the manual the break-out connector should have a power connector, a tach connector (connected to CPU_FAN) and a SATA connector. So that might be the one that connects the LED's

Based on what you have, AIO_PUMP might serve the same purpose as CPU_FAN for this hookup.

image.png.9f9821eacb7efb9cb10e027ffca61341.png

All but EXT_FAN are PWM. AIO_PUMP will run full speed (assuming it can be controlled at all, which is what the USB connector on the Kraken is for I guess)

Asus also sells a fan extension card to add three more fans using EXT_FAN

https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessories/FAN-EXTENSION-CARD/