Best CPU for gaming?

4 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Better power delivery. Wouldn’t really want a 3950X on a £80-100 board especially if they go for an even high core count. 

That isn't true at all, because boards like the MSI X570 Gaming Edge wifi and X570-A Pro exist. The chipset doesn't determine how good/bad the VRM is.

7 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

That isn't true at all, because boards like the MSI X570 Gaming Edge wifi and X570-A Pro exist. The chipset doesn't determine how good/bad the VRM is.

Obviously you wouldn’t get the MSI boards they’re well known to be horrendous. In general the X570 boards have better power delivery than B boards. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Obviously you wouldn’t get the MSI boards they’re well known to be horrendous. In general the X570 boards have better power delivery than B boards. 

Maybe well known to you or me, but the op might not have been aware of that. Anyway I was suggesting he waits for B550 so kind of irrelevant. There are some good boards in that lineup.

2 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Maybe well known to you or me, but the op might not have been aware of that. Anyway I was suggesting he waits for B550 so kind of irrelevant. There are some good boards in that lineup.

If you’re only putting in a R5 that’s not too bad but if you put a R7 or R9 and OC it you can draw a lot of power 

23 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

If you’re only putting in a R5 that’s not too bad but if you put a R7 or R9 and OC it you can draw a lot of power 

The B450 Tomahawk can handle a stock 3900X/3950X so you are wrong on that. And manual overclocking on Ryzen isn't worth it anyway. Also not sure why you are dismissing B550 boards when they are not even out yet. 

9 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The B450 Tomahawk can handle a stock 3900X/3950X so you are wrong on that. And manual overclocking on Ryzen isn't worth it anyway. Also not sure why you are dismissing B550 boards when they are not even out yet. 

Did you miss the OC part in my post? 

7 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Did you miss the OC part in my post? 

Did you miss the part where I said overclocking on Ryzen is pointless ? What even is your point ? You are carrying on with a stupid argument over a B450 board that I didn't even suggest in the first place. 

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

Did you miss the part where I said overclocking on Ryzen is pointless ? What even is your point ? You are carrying on with a stupid argument over a B450 board that I didn't even suggest in the first place. 

Depends what you’re doing. If you have a R9 chip you will want to overclock because the only justification of that part is multithreaded workloads. 

B450 and B550 are the same class of board. The VRM is likely to be similar or identical the biggest change will be for PCIE 4. 

14 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Depends what you’re doing. If you have a R9 chip you will want to overclock because the only justification of that part is multithreaded workloads. 

B450 and B550 are the same class of board. The VRM is likely to be similar or identical the biggest change will be for PCIE 4. 

Go read up on Overclocking on Ryzen and you will see that the general consensus is it is not worth doing. The cpu can be left to boost on it's own.

No B450 and B550 are not the same class of board, far from it. Again you should go and do your research before making false comments.

Go read up on Overclocking on Ryzen and you will see that the general consensus is it is not worth doing. The cpu can be left to boost on it's own.

No B450 and B550 are not the same class of board, far from it. Again you should go and do your research before making false comments.

It's not worth doing for gaming. For workstation use it absolutely is when you can get a 10-20% bump in performance in things like blender and compression/decompression.

They're not out yet, you can't look at teardowns and see how many amps the VRM can push. if you can't push 200A through it you ain't overclocking an R9. the B450 Max tomahawek boardv for example can only push 180~ and that's redlining which you don't want your VRM to be doing. 

49 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

It's not worth doing for gaming. For workstation use it absolutely is when you can get a 10-20% bump in performance in things like blender and compression/decompression.

They're not out yet, you can't look at teardowns and see how many amps the VRM can push. if you can't push 200A through it you ain't overclocking an R9. the B450 Max tomahawek boardv for example can only push 180~ and that's redlining which you don't want your VRM to be doing. 

Pretty sure the title of this thread is Best cpu for gaming ? So why are you assuming the op is doing workstation stuff ? Also the link below suggests that you get around 7% performance increase when manually overclocking vs 3% for pbo in Blender open data test. Where are you getting up to 20% from ?

https://www.techspot.com/review/1940-amd-ryzen-9-3950x/

So you are saying that Guys like Buildzoid who know VRM's inside out cannot assess a VRM by looking at it ? Because again you would be wrong. 

Also not sure why you keep on mentioning the B450 Tomahawk when I haven't even suggested that board. 

Here is a Gigabyte B550 board just so you can see the difference between their B450 and a good B550 offering.

The B550 Aorus Master. A 16 Phase VRM with 70A power stages. Yeah seems pretty crap to me 9_9

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10#kf

Pretty sure the title of this thread is Best cpu for gaming ? So why are you assuming the op is doing workstation stuff ? Also the link below suggests that you get around 7% performance increase when manually overclocking vs 3% for pbo in Blender open data test. Where are you getting up to 20% from ?

https://www.techspot.com/review/1940-amd-ryzen-9-3950x/

So you are saying that Guys like Buildzoid who know VRM's inside out cannot assess a VRM by looking at it ? Because again you would be wrong. 

Also not sure why you keep on mentioning the B450 Tomahawk when I haven't even suggested that board. 

Here is a Gigabyte B550 board just so you can see the difference between their B450 and a good B550 offering.

The B550 Aorus Master. A 16 Phase VRM with 70A power stages. Yeah seems pretty crap to me 9_9

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10#kf

Gamers nexus.

You can't assess a VRM without knowing what components are used... having 8 phases is great but are they using doublers? What is each phase rated for? etc etc.

It's a very common board. 

Depends on the price the master is a pretty pricey model. If it's like £180 why not just spend the extra like £30 on a X570 with more features. 

@smeek14 Getting back to topic... 

From the recent launch of Intel 10th gen the 10900K is currently the best CPU for a gaming PC.

With 10c/20t it should last you at least 4-5 years and possibly more but it is hard to tell what the future brings.

Yes an argument can be made to for choosing a low/midrange AMD CPU with a B550/X570 board.

This would allow you to upgrade to the next gen AMD CPU which will be launched later this year. 

Or simply wait 3-6 months for the launch of Ryzen 4000. 

But if we are speaking of which CPU is best for gaming right now, today !?!

Then it is the 10900K 

Also...

The 10600K achieves almost the same performance as the 10900K for a much better price but it is hard to say how long it will last with "only" 6c/12t

If you want the best value CPU then I would probably say go for the R5 3600 or R7 3700x

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

Gamers nexus.

You can't assess a VRM without knowing what components are used... having 8 phases is great but are they using doublers? What is each phase rated for? etc etc.

It's a very common board. 

Depends on the price the master is a pretty pricey model. If it's like £180 why not just spend the extra like £30 on a X570 with more features. 

Gamers Nexus ? 

Have you watched Buildzoid videos ? He knows exactly what the components are, how many phases and if they are using any doublers or not. He goes over things in great detail on his breakdown videos. So there is no 'Guesswork' going on.

What is a common board ?

The Master was just an example. Until we know prices then it is impossible to recommend anything.  

3 minutes ago, Boyohan said:

@smeek14 Getting back to topic... 

From the recent launch of Intel 10th gen the 10900K is currently the best CPU for a gaming PC.

With 10c/20t it should last you at least 4-5 years and possibly more but it is hard to tell what the future brings.

Yes an argument can be made to for choosing a low/midrange AMD CPU with a B550/X570 board.

This would allow you to upgrade to the next gen AMD CPU which will be launched later this year. 

Or simply wait 3-6 months for the launch of Ryzen 4000. 

But if we are speaking of which CPU is best for gaming right now, today !?!

Then it is the 10900K 

Also...

The 10600K achieves almost the same performance as the 10900K for a much better price but it is hard to say how long it will last with "only" 6c/12t

If you want the best value CPU then I would probably say go for the R5 3600 or R7 3700x

The op stated he has a 2080 ti and games at 4K. The i9 10900K won't really be any/much faster at that resolution than an R5 3600.

9 minutes ago, Boyohan said:

If I wanted to build a pc right now and be cost effective while maxing the fps and not doing anything else than gaming ... well it's the i5 10600k cpu I would chose and I would oc it the best I can.  It might not last as long as the 10900k future proof speaking, but it has a better value and as lots of people said before nobody can predict the future and you might want to upgrade sooner than you think even if you go with the 10900k. 

If you want to do any kind of productivity task the you should probably go amd. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

8 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The op stated he has a 2080 ti and games at 4K. The i9 10900K won't really be any/much faster at that resolution than an R5 3600.

Yes I know but OP asked for the best and that is the 10900K.

You can't really say that the 3600 is equal to the 10900K in gaming regardless of what resolution. 

If OP wants great gaming performance but also good value then I would probably suggest the 10600K. 

I know that in 4K the CPU isn't stressed very much. 

@Dr0y 

OP wrote specifically "I am looking for a CPU that would give me the best possible gaming performance and last me many years"

OP isn't asking for value...

I assume that this is because he wants his new PC to last for as long as possible.

OPs current CPU (i7 4790) was among the best at its launch and that was 6 years ago so it should last at least 4-5 years. 

But as I also wrote "it is hard to tell what the future brings" so ofc we can't say for sure what will happen.

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

Just now, Boyohan said:

Yes I know but OP asked for the best and that is the 10900K.

You can't really say that the 3600 is equal to the 10900K in gaming regardless of what resolution. 

If OP wants great gaming performance but also good value then I would probably suggest the 10600K. 

I know that in 4K the CPU isn't stressed very much. 

@Dr0y 

OP wrote specifically "I am looking for a CPU that would give me the best possible gaming performance and last me many years"

OP isn't asking for value...

I assume that this is because he wants his new PC to last for as long as possible.

OPs current CPU (i7 4790) was among the best at its launch and that was 6 years ago so it should last at least 4-5 years. 

But as I also wrote "it is hard to tell what the future brings" so ofc we can't say for sure what will happen.

You are gpu bound at 4K. The fps difference is nowhere near as much as it would be at 1080p. There might be the odd game that favours Intel and shows a bigger difference, but for the most part it will be pretty close between current cpu's. Also you have to factor in the cost of going with an Intel build compare to AMD. Might not be an issue for the op, but if you are trying to get the most for your money then you would be better going Ryzen.

16 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

You are gpu bound at 4K. The fps difference is nowhere near as much as it would be at 1080p. There might be the odd game that favours Intel and shows a bigger difference, but for the most part it will be pretty close between current cpu's. Also you have to factor in the cost of going with an Intel build compare to AMD. Might not be an issue for the op, but if you are trying to get the most for your money then you would be better going Ryzen.

Did you even read OPs or my previous posts ? 

I agree with you. 

In 4K the difference is very small but OP wasn't asking for the best value. 

I get the feeling that you are only reading half of what we are saying. 

OP asked for the best so that is why I suggested 10900K which currently is the best gaming CPU. 

Yes I also admitted that in 4K the CPU isn't stressed very much and you are limited by the GPU but the 10900K is still the best gaming CPU regardless of resolution. 

I also suggested that if OP wanted the best value then he should choose 3600/3700x/10600k or maybe wait for Ryzen 4000. 

2 minutes ago, Boyohan said:

I agree with you. 

OP asked for the best so that is why I suggested 10900K which currently is the best gaming CPU. 

Yes I also admitted that in 4K the CPU isn't stressed very much and you are limited by the GPU but the 10900K is still the best gaming CPU regardless of resolution. 

I also suggested that if OP wanted the best value then he should choose 3600/3700x/10600k or maybe wait for Ryzen 4000. 

Yes I read your previous post. 

The i9 10900K is the best in most circumstances, but not all. You pair it with something like a 5700XT at 1440p then you are going to see a more level playing field, just like you would at 4K with a 2080 ti. There are also some games where the i9 10900K isn't the fastest, so you can't just make a blanket statement.

The link below shows 4 games at 4K resolution. The i9 10900K is fastest in two of them.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/05/20/intel-core-i9-10900k-review/

If the op wants to go Intel then up to him, but he is paying a premium for only a slight fps difference. 

14 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Yes I read your previous post. 

The i9 10900K is the best in most circumstances, but not all. You pair it with something like a 5700XT at 1440p then you are going to see a more level playing field, just like you would at 4K with a 2080 ti. There are also some games where the i9 10900K isn't the fastest, so you can't just make a blanket statement.

The link below shows 4 games at 4K resolution. The i9 10900K is fastest in two of them.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/05/20/intel-core-i9-10900k-review/

If the op wants to go Intel then up to him, but he is paying a premium for only a slight fps difference. 

Who cares about Intel vs AMD ?

If a CPU or GPU performs better in a majority of the tests then it is clearly the best. 

There will of course be a few situations where a different CPU and/or GPU could perform better but that doesn't make it better overall. 

21 minutes ago, Boyohan said:

I am looking to buy the new i9 10900k unless you guys know of a more powerful option for gaming within my budget.

Right, so there's really nothing "more powerful" than this chip at the current moment in time. 

Waiting till later this year is advised on the common right now. AMD to release some more processors and we want to see some results. Since it's only a few months away, buying anything without the need to is really edging to pointless waste of money if something better is released.

GL with the rig though. My builds need to hold me off till DDR5 hits desktop and then another year after that, let the kinks get worked out a little.

1 hour ago, Boyohan said:

I agree with you. 

Games are moving to more multithreaded workloads though so going forwards it’s likely that a 3950X may pull ahead. 

2 hours ago, Boyohan said:

If a CPU or GPU performs better in a majority of the tests then it is clearly the best. 

There will of course be a few situations where a different CPU and/or GPU could perform better but that doesn't make it better overall. 

You seem to care about it otherwise you wouldn't be arguing the fact.

How do you figure that out ? It would be considered the best if it was the fastest in every game at every resolution. If you were playing AC Odyssey or Total War Warhammer II then it isn't.

Also if the op has a 60Hz 4K monitor then there won't be any difference anyway.