Best CPU for gaming?

So I currently run a i7 4790 and I would like to upgrade. I am looking for a CPU that would give me the best possible gaming performance and last me many years. My budget is under 800 dollars. I am looking to buy the new i9 10900k unless you guys know of a more powerful option for gaming within my budget.

1 minute ago, smeek14 said:

I am looking to buy the new i9 10900k unless you guys know of a more powerful option

you can't get higher performance than the 10900k, as much of a waste of money as it is. No guarantee that it will last you many years either.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10900k, the hopefully last hurrah of 14nm. Dont recommend tbh. Besides Nvidia's next gen comes late this year so you might as well rebuild at that time.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

you can't get higher performance than the 10900k, as much of a waste of money as it is. No guarantee that it will last you many years either.

My current CPU is still good after 6 years.

The 10900K, but that is really not recommended. It's basically the last dying gasp of Intel's 14nm process. I'd suggest waiting for Zen 3 in September.

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

10900k, the hopefully last hurrah of 14nm. Dont recommend tbh. Besides Nvidia's next gen comes late this year so you might as well rebuild at that time.

I got a RTX 2080 ti, I only upgrade every other generation.

Just now, smeek14 said:

My current CPU is still good after 6 years.

We can't predict the future. It's very possible that 5nm products in 2022-2023 just pull so far ahead that the 10900K becomes useless.

Just now, 5x5 said:

The 10900K, but that is really not recommended. It's basically the last dying gasp of Intel's 14nm process. I'd suggest waiting for Zen 3 in September.

Is that AMD? Will it most likely provide better gaming performance?

Just now, smeek14 said:

From what insider information I have - very much yes. Zen 3 is expected to bring at least 15% more IPC, the current goal is 20% more IPC over what current Intel/AMD CPUs offer.

Just now, smeek14 said:

Unless you're using a 2080Ti to play esports games at 1080p anything over a 3700X is wasted money. At 1440p you become GPU bottlenecked for the most part.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

Unless you're using a 2080Ti to play esports games at 1080p anything over a 3700X is wasted money. At 1440p you become GPU bottlenecked for the most part.

I do 4k gaming. I want to keep this CPU for 4 years, 8 if possible. Sometimes my current i7 4790 bottlenecks. Is there a cheaper alternative you recommend?

Just now, smeek14 said:

I do 4k gaming. I want to keep this CPU for 4 years, 8 if possible. Sometimes my current i7 4790 bottlenecks. Is there a cheaper alternative you recommend?

The 10600K or 3700X. Personally, I'd get the 3700X since AM4 still has 1 more CPU generation coming whereas LGA1200 will not be compatible with Intel's next uArch redesign (there will be one more Skylake refresh on it but it wont really improve anything from current insider info)

8 minutes ago, smeek14 said:

If you’re at 4K you could get any 6 or 8 core CPU from the last 2 gend and you’d be fine. 4K means your GPU will always be the limiting factor and there will be no difference between the best gaming CPU and a mid tier one. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

If you’re at 4K you could get any 6 or 8 core CPU from the last 2 gend and you’d be fine. 4K means your GPU will always be the limiting factor and there will be no difference between the best gaming CPU and a mid tier one. 

If I get a higher end processor will it last longer though?

I like to keep my tech for a really long time.

10 minutes ago, smeek14 said:

Possible but impossible to say. Again, there's no way to know whether Zen 4/*Something* Lake just makes everything before it irrelevant.

13 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Possible but impossible to say. Again, there's no way to know whether Zen 4/*Something* Lake just makes everything before it irrelevant.

True. I heard that happened in the 2000s with the Pentium 4.

1 minute ago, smeek14 said:

True. I heard that happened in the 2000s with the Pentium 4.

Not only then. It also happened later with Core 2 and Sandy Bridge. And recently with Zen 1 and Kaby Lake (though i7s were unaffected, everything lower became a lot worse value when Zen launched). It's very possible that in 2 years, AMD or Intel launch an incredible new design that leaves current i9/Ryzen 9 models in the dust. That's why high end parts are not recommended and people buy mid range stuff such as i5 or Ryzen 5. In your case, Ryzen 7's price has come down so that would make a lot of sense if buying now.

18 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Not only then. It also happened later with Core 2 and Sandy Bridge. And recently with Zen 1 and Kaby Lake (though i7s were unaffected, everything lower became a lot worse value when Zen launched). It's very possible that in 2 years, AMD or Intel launch an incredible new design that leaves current i9/Ryzen 9 models in the dust. That's why high end parts are not recommended and people buy mid range stuff such as i5 or Ryzen 5. In your case, Ryzen 7's price has come down so that would make a lot of sense if buying now.

To be fair sandy bridge to many lake was just increments. You didn’t really have to upgrade on intel until 8th Gen hit.

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

To be fair sandy bridge to many lake was just increments. You didn’t really have to upgrade on intel until 8th Gen hit.

True but I don't think Intel will repeat that same mistake again :D

7 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

True but I don't think Intel will repeat that same mistake again :D

To be fair they make most of their money from prebuilt, laptop and enterprise I doubt they cared about people not upgrading.

5 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

To be fair they make most of their money from prebuilt, laptop and enterprise I doubt they cared about people not upgrading.

Yeah but they also made money from pre-built and laptop users upgrading for the much needed performance (I mean, when your laptop is barely running Chrome, ever MHz counts (looking at the horrid 4000U models)

1 hour ago, smeek14 said:

Yes but you can always upgrade the cpu when it starts to struggle. A 3700X and B550 board (Due on the 16th) would be the best option. You can stick a R9 49xx in there later on.

9 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Yes but you can always upgrade the cpu when it starts to struggle. A 3700X and B550 board (Due on the 16th) would be the best option. You can stick a R9 49xx in there later on.

If you want an R9 in it I’d go X570

10 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

If you want an R9 in it I’d go X570

For what reason ?

30 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

For what reason ?

Better power delivery. Wouldn’t really want a 3950X on a £80-100 board especially if they go for an even high core count.