RTX 3080 image (maybe?)

porina

Do you like the looks of the cooler?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the looks of the cooler?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • It's ok
    • Dislike it
    • Hate it

Nvidia has started an internal investigation into the RTX 3080 leak with Foxconn and BYD most likely suspects.
Product and Sales manager was unaware of the design until he saw the leaks.

Source (In German): https://www.igorslab.de/exklusive-info-zu-nvidias-ampere-karten-mit-gddr6x-kurzem-pcb-und-einem-extrem-teuren-kuehler-fuer-die-fe-und-die-suche-nach-dem-leak/

Specs:

Nvidia_30-Series_001.jpg.657da2bb169936a7ddf9b266e2128a08.jpg

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

Sure they hate leaks, but deep down inside, they love the free hype train this creates. It's literally free PR.

27 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Sure they hate leaks, but deep down inside, they love the free hype train this creates. It's literally free PR.

True, but remember they care more about AMD than they do about customers.  Navi21 was designed and at least mostly finalized before the ps5 or Scarlett could even be released to developers.  They’re both sitting on the tech waiting for the other to make the move.  This stuff could have been out a year ago.  They’re likely much more worried about what AMD could do with those photos.  They’ve probably already done all sorts of things.  Maybe compared and sized them by measuring the visible screw holes in the case mount, calculated the radiator area, and know how much heat the chip produces.  Probably much more.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

To me the peak design for reference cards was the 10 series/Pascal. They took the beautiful design of the 700/900 series cards and made it look even cooler with all of the sharp lines and angles. I didn't hate the 20 series, it was still a distinctly premium design, I just thought it wasn't quite as cool as the 10 series. This however, oh boy... It's not nearly as bad as the GPUs we had in the prior to 2013 or so (seriously who the hell though slapping a cheap sticker on plastic looked nice) but it is closer to that then the designs we've had as of late. If this is the final design, I'm hoping there will be at least some changes that make it more premium looking because as it stands right now this just looks cheap. 

26 minutes ago, aaron.exe said:

To me the peak design for reference cards was the 10 series/Pascal. They took the beautiful design of the 700/900 series cards and made it look even cooler with all of the sharp lines and angles. I didn't hate the 20 series, it was still a distinctly premium design, I just thought it wasn't quite as cool as the 10 series. This however, oh boy... It's not nearly as bad as the GPUs we had in the prior to 2013 or so (seriously who the hell though slapping a cheap sticker on plastic looked nice) but it is closer to that then the designs we've had as of late. If this is the final design, I'm hoping there will be at least some changes that make it more premium looking because as it stands right now this just looks cheap. 

If the product and sales people haven't seen the design yet then this is likely a very early prototype where the functionality is worked out, then the those people take it and work o making the non-function impacting parts look more cool. Ultimately making the card design visually appealing is kinda one of their jobs. So if thy haven't seen it yet that means the design process hasn't got to that stage yet.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

True, but remember they care more about AMD than they do about customers.  Navi21 was designed and at least mostly finalized before the ps5 or Scarlett could even be released to developers.  They’re both sitting on the tech waiting for the other to make the move.  This stuff could have been out a year ago.  They’re likely much more worried about what AMD could do with those photos.  They’ve probably already done all sorts of things.  Maybe compared and sized them by measuring the visible screw holes in the case mount, calculated the radiator area, and know how much heat the chip produces.  Probably much more.

People still seem to think companies get leaks from public sources like tech websites... They know a lot more about competitors than everyone thinks.

Also it's not that NVIDIA got a bit scared of AMD now, they started doing something about it when RX 5700 XT was released. It wasn't an immediate threat, but was a showcase that AMD can pull a well performing card that's not just a low to mid tier thing like RX480 was. RX 5700 XT is a proper high end card from AMD. Not top end but high end still. And I'm pretty certain NVIDIA heard a thing or two about it way before us end users have through various leaks.

36 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

If the product and sales people haven't seen the design yet then this is likely a very early prototype where the functionality is worked out, then the those people take it and work o making the non-function impacting parts look more cool. Ultimately making the card design visually appealing is kinda one of their jobs. So if thy haven't seen it yet that means the design process hasn't got to that stage yet.

I've only worked in one large company so I don't know if it is representative of others. Typically the sales organisation will be the last to know about new products, as it is their job to sell the current product until new products are ready to replace them. Of course they would need some advanced warning of the new product to prepare sales materials ready for launch.

I don't know how secretive nvida are. If I were them, I'd have a small in-house prototype facility for the early design/testing work, so no risks of leaks from external partners early on. Only once ready for mass manufacturing would external partners get the scoop. If the German site info is correct, these devices are already at some level in manufacturing. It implies the basic design is done. There might be ongoing work done to optimise manufacturing efficiency but otherwise it is probably ramping up in production in the near future.

Overall I don't think this changes any expectations. Product availability will not be "soon" and still be later in the year. Historically summer is not a popular period for launches, where without the current world situation, people will be on vacation and general activity slows down.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

it definitely looks like a step back in brute cooling performance compared to this gen's coolers but it might be more efficient at lower temperature deltas and it would definitely make sense to have a slimmer, more blower-ish style cooler this gen hearing that the 3k series will probably be one of the most efficient cards in quite a while from nvidia.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

no matter what it looks like, ref design is ref , it cannot change the fact , it sucks

the last founder has $100 markup tax and over $150 this time?

we need to stop nvidia doing this together! 

DONT BUY

36 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

no matter what it looks like, ref design is ref , it cannot change the fact , it sucks

the last founder has $100 markup tax and over $150 this time?

we need to stop nvidia doing this together! 

DONT BUY

While it looks cool, it can't be better than massive stack of heatpipes and fins. It's just raw physics where there is no replacement for displacement as they say with cars. It's same here. The speed of shuffling heat into the fins and removing it from there is just unmatched on massive 3 fan coolers. And I don't even care about the size. I have single card and enough space to fill 4 slots with graphic card if needed.

4 hours ago, porina said:

I've only worked in one large company so I don't know if it is representative of others. Typically the sales organisation will be the last to know about new products, as it is their job to sell the current product until new products are ready to replace them. Of course they would need some advanced warning of the new product to prepare sales materials ready for launch.

I don't know how secretive nvida are. If I were them, I'd have a small in-house prototype facility for the early design/testing work, so no risks of leaks from external partners early on. Only once ready for mass manufacturing would external partners get the scoop. If the German site info is correct, these devices are already at some level in manufacturing. It implies the basic design is done. There might be ongoing work done to optimise manufacturing efficiency but otherwise it is probably ramping up in production in the near future.

Overall I don't think this changes any expectations. Product availability will not be "soon" and still be later in the year. Historically summer is not a popular period for launches, where without the current world situation, people will be on vacation and general activity slows down.

It's going to vary from industry to industry, and even to some degree company to company. But unless your product is being sold to a market where purely visual stuff has no effect on sales there's going to be a group of people involved in making sure the final design of the product and it's packaging looks good by the standards of whatever is "in" at the moment. Those are commonly considered sales or marketing people, (usually the visual design team of the product will be going to them asking if this is good or what a design need to appeal e.t.c.). Now it's possibble NVIDIA has that under the auspices of the product team instead of sales and marketing or even gives each development team it's own independent group for this. Hard to know without more information. But even if each team has it's own setup, unless the title of the product manager is non-indicative i'd expect him to receive somewhat regular reports on the development of ampere. So if this isn't a first generation prototype of this design i'd expect some kind of report on it, (which would doubtless include some kind of visual representation, be it a line drawing a diagram a sketch impression or even an actual photo), to have crossed his or her desk by now.

Those middle fins seem rather wasteful. If they were getting any airflow from the fan on top of cold plate, it would make sense. But they are just a dead zone of fins. Weird design. Looks cool, but not really efficient.

I dont understand having the blower in the back then its blowing the hot air into your case

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah but axial cards dump hot air into the case anyway ._.

i'd argue this is a better deal because there's through-card airflow now, which means the fans at the lower half of the case can path upwards to the exhaust at the rear beside the CPU, through the GPU

(ignore the SSDs, i forgot to hide them from the sketch)

also in a dual-GPU setup, the upper card will at least get some more direct airflow

this is a blower card without the only benefit of a blower card

Just now, VegetableStu said:

but would you prefer a 10-series blower to this?

I personally would not 

But I think that the cost of this cooler will be much as a functional GPU will be a waste of money 

Most people already will buy a card with a non reference cooler so that doesn't make sense and it will increase the code significantly for what looks ? It doesn't even look that good and functionally well it's clear that it doesn't look like it will be any better than Turing reference cooler 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

25 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

update: it seems that the middle fins that are pointing towards and skywards from the motherboard are passive

It is hard to tell from these images,if they are simply placed around the heatpipes or are they contacting?

there won't be airflow from the primary fan to the middle fins because what would be the entryways are flush flat instead

Which means the only escape would be out of the backplate as the other sides are enclosed by the cooler frame. So this is half blower.

8 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i'd argue this is a better deal because there's through-card airflow now, which means the fans at the lower half of the case can path upwards to the exhaust at the rear beside the CPU, through the GPU

We'll have to see which way the fan eventually goes, but I'm still leaning towards it pushing the air down, not up.

5 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

this is a blower card without the only benefit of a blower card

I see it as a hybrid. The fan nearest the backplate would operate blower-like. The fan on the back of the card would be no worse than typical AIB designs. Actually, I think it'll be better than most as the airflow is a lot less restricted since it goes through the fins without having to find the tiny escapes on the side.

So to me it looks like the strategy is to provide some cooling over the PCB area with one fan, but the heatpipes shift the bulk to the other end for better airflow. I'm wondering if they could have got away with a single fan only.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Seems cool ... but is it? 

I edit my posts more often than not

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah but axial cards dump hot air into the case anyway ._.

PZ69fuo.png

(ignore the SSDs, i forgot to hide them from the sketch)

also in a dual-GPU setup, the upper card will at least get some more direct airflow

Same can be achieved by having fins on graphic card oriented in parallel to the motherboard instead of perpendicular to the motherboard. That way you force air to travel along the length of the grpahic card instead of to the side and out into the case. I've seen some cards do this, but rare. I think it was Sapphire...

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

update: it seems that the middle fins that are pointing towards and skywards from the motherboard are passive

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-heatsink.jpg

there won't be airflow from the primary fan to the middle fins because what would be the entryways are flush flat instead

uUWFlEb.jpg

i thought the base of those fins were attached to the sides looping around the GPU frame from the original image,  But on this you can clearly see the heat transfer pipes going through the middle of the fins. interesting. but it seems it would make the GPU thicker from the looks of this.

Details separate people.

Yeah, after considering the both sides of the cooler, I deem it "The Acceptable One".

I edit my posts more often than not

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

RIP multi-GPU in consumer space

Not a suprise in the slightest honestly.

Also nice update Clears up any confusion about what where seeing in the previous images.

they power draw talk on this... wow... and people joke about old radeon cards....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 3:42 AM, Alan Mattano said:

Stacking multiple RTX 3080 prototypes, the air will pass through. This system will allow the air passing through one GPU to other. This Is a special feature and also fan blades are surrounded by a turbo ring winglet.

My sensation is that  the system is a push from one side and pull from the other side because the camber airfoil profile of the blade looks reversed.

It looks to me that can be a pull extractor and not an intake. In any case air will pass through one GPU to other

If not the blade will spin in opposite direction.

Paste.thumb.png.483faaaa919ea7ff8525abbcf7478b8a.png

Untitled-1.thumb.png.4b5eae7dd0890f446eda068ff6776372.png

So I was the first one to clame that pictures show this airflow back in Jun and I was correct! 

Alan vs  @Vishera  

Please I need some love...

If Intel AMD ATI or NVIDIA call me for drawing a powerful GPU card, I was doing the same thing anyway.

For real, the fact that y'all figured this out 3 months ago based on a couple of leaked pics is astonishing.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers