RTX 3080 image (maybe?)

porina

Do you like the looks of the cooler?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the looks of the cooler?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • It's ok
    • Dislike it
    • Hate it

3 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

Not necessarily. As I mentioned above, Both Pictures show 2 different directional fan designs. One pulls air while one exhausts air. Looks like an attempt to move more air across the card. Whether that's for temperature reasons or acoustics is the question. It could theoretically result in a quieter card since it can move more cool air more efficiently rather than just excess, however if its a hotter card, I wouldn't expect acoustics to drop that much and this would just be a way of trying to tame the beast.

The blade shape suggests both are pushing air towards the card, not exhausting from it. Blades would be oriented differently (their curvature).

55 minutes ago, porina said:

The fans are not the same,

Fairly sure they are.

with the curvature differing in orientation between them.

You'll find that most fans have differing curvatures on the intake and exhaust sides. Visualize the exhaust fan rotating as you see it and flip it around. You'll find that it's the same fan rotating in the same direction as the other one. I don't think Nvidia would go out of their way to have two different fans on the reference cooler.

Alternatively, take any fan you've got laying around or stop a case fan and give it a good look. Both sides will have different curves. You'll also note that the fans likely rotate in a counter-clockwise direction when observed head on (intake) and clockwise when observed from the back of the fan (exhaust). Obviously this doesn't apply in you've got fans that were marked as "counter rotating" (clockwise intake and counter-clockwise exhaust) something tells me Linus had a pair in his old build but idk.

What I'm not sure is if the PCB side fan sucks or blows. So on regular fans, the air moves from the convex side to the concave side. I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think it is convex side out, thus both fans push conventionally. If there is some benefit to have them rotating in opposite directions, I don't know. Was it Gigabyte who did that on some of their GPUs? Where fans are next to each other, having them rotate opposite like cogs means they work with each other at the interface, rather than against. But I'm really not sure on that.

I don't believe that these fans are not close enough to benefit from the counter rotation thingy. Also if both of these fans were in blow, the GPU would end up sucking it's own hot air in at some point. Newer architectures seem to be more temperature sensitive that the last, so if Turing was anything to go by a slightly warm Ampere will be all over the show with boost clocks.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Fairly sure they are.

You'll find that most fans have differing curvatures on the intake and exhaust sides. Visualize the exhaust fan rotating as you see it and flip it around. You'll find that it's the same fan rotating in the same direction as the other one. I don't think Nvidia would go out of their way to have two different fans on the reference cooler.

On a regular case or cooler fan, you have the hub supports on the side the air is pushed to. As pictured, the fans on the two sides do not show visible support structure, and they very obviously rotate in opposite directions when looking at the non-support side. On that basis, they can't be identical fans.

I don't believe that these fans are not close enough to benefit from the counter rotation thingy.

Agreed, unless there is something funky going on between them.

Also if both of these fans were in blow, the GPU would end up sucking it's own hot air in at some point.

I had discussed this already earlier in the thread. What I think is possible exhaust from the cooler side fan could potentially end up being drawn in by the PCB side fan. But mitigating that in a typical case, airflow moves from case front to rear, so may counteract that somewhat. But then that leaves the cooler running against the case flow.

The original leak site has a poster claiming the mid section to be an intake, but I'm not convinced of that, although it would solve the airflow direction. That could then pick up warmer air from the PCB side fan.

Also, if we consider current conventional non-blower GPU coolers, they have a hot air re-circulation problem already. This new cooler to me looks no worse than that, maybe a little better because if the PCB side fan works as I think it does, it will have a high chance of having cool air from the front of the case, also before it goes near the CPU cooler.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The are not the same card in the top and bottom images. Look at where the PCB is in both, it's flat against the table with no cooler behind it.

With the top card you can see the edge of the PCB flush with the table, and if you look at the bottom one the PCI-E connector clearly isn;t on the top edge of the card and looks in line with the brackets "bottom" edge which is also clearly flush with the table.

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

... It's weird.
Pay attention to the IO bracket and the orientation of the PCIe fingers. Look at where the PCIe locking tab is. That will give you a good idea of which way it goes in.

image.png.64ad2002fac9daed00fabae764939fba.png

Hide contents

whats confusing to me still is that if this is right, the vapor chamber fins layout doesn't make sense since it needs to bottom out on a flat bed. But on this if this is the bottom & top side as it says, the opposite side against the fans is still an array of deep going fins & there seems to be no plate with the usual enough distance if it's placed at the middle.the coolant needs to travel a certain distance to properly condense & cool right?

Details separate people.

15 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

if you look at the bottom one the PCI-E connector clearly isn;t on the top edge of the card and looks in line with the brackets "bottom" edge which is also clearly flush with the table.

I don't see that. The connector looks like the right position to be on the surface closer to the camera. If it was lower down on the table, more of it would be obscured by the body of the cooler.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

whats confusing to me still is that if this is right, the vapor chamber fins layout doesn't make sense since it needs to bottom out on a flat bed. But on this if this is the bottom & top side as it says, the opposite side against the fans is still an array of deep going fins & there seems to be no plate with the usual enough distance if it's placed at the middle.the coolant needs to travel a certain distance to properly condense & cool right?

Hol up! are those thick ass bezels around the outside & looping towards the inside a modified shielded vapor chamber base? that would explain the fins , they're not connected at the middle but are coming from those sides of that curving & circling around forming a proper loop around the whole GPU from the heat source. if that's right, then this is properly engineered working concept & is real.

Details separate people.

7 hours ago, porina said:

I don't see a question there as such. And I'm not convinced one of the fans is exhaust. They both look like they blow in to me.

As someone who knows aerodynamics,this is the most efficient design i have ever seen.

The cooler is separated to 3 zones  (It's just 2 zones),2 of them are intake+exhaust,the other one is passively cooled due to the thin design.

No more hot air flowing through the pcb.

Intake > Thins > Exhaust

Fixed version:

cooler.thumb.png.eed294fddb7b5962fc095388606ab55b.png

Old and inaccurate version:

Spoiler

cooler.thumb.png.a44db40b2c4d586e968ae0086b395353.png

EDIT: Seems like there is no passive zone,it's all active,caught that thanks to @porina

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

As someone who knows aerodynamics,this is the most efficient design i have ever seen.

The cooler is separated to 3 zones,2 of them are intake+exhaust,the other one is passively cooled due to the thin design.

No more hot air flowing onto the pcb.

cooler.thumb.png.a44db40b2c4d586e968ae0086b395353.png

This doesn’t make sense to me (which is different from not making sense) if the right hand fan is exaust, and the left hand fan is intake, it would have to flow through the center section wouldn’t it?  I notice the right hand section has a textured face on it which may or may not be exhaust vents. If this is the case there could be a finstack with heat pipes going back to the left hand chamber and the right hand fan blowing in on it and exhausting out the textured side

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

it would have to flow through the center section wouldn’t it?

It can't because of the thin design.

if the right hand fan is exaust

Every fan is intake + exhaust,every fan has it's own intake vents and exhaust vents,as a result you get superior efficiency compared to other designs.

It's a genius design.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

48 minutes ago, porina said:

I don't see that. The connector looks like the right position to be on the surface closer to the camera. If it was lower down on the table, more of it would be obscured by the body of the cooler.

The camera is pointed almost straight down at the bottom one, you can tell because the side of the shroud isn't visible on the top or bottom edges. Also look at the barcode on the PCIE connector, at this steep angle if that was on the top face the barcode wouldn't be obscured at all.

Also zoom in on the fan on that card, leftmost pair of blades, you can see some solder well under the fan, that means the PCB just there has to be a good distance away from the top of the shroud.

I actually really like this design if it works how I think it works.

I think each fan is intake and the exhaust is the middle portion / wherever the air can escape. This is at least a really interesting takes on an axial style cooler

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Could you imagine if it actually ends up being more efficient than the traditional axial fan setup? And then Nvidia patents it and no one else could use it? Oof. That would suck.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

43 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It can't because of the thin design.

Every fan is intake + exhaust,every fan has it's own intake vents and exhaust vents,as a result you get superior efficiency compared to other designs.

It's a genius design.

So it’s not 3 sections so much a two sections of uneven size.

In the drawing the gpu and memory may be in the wrong place because unlike VRM they are flat.

the VRM and “tall” bits are housed in the leftmost section which exhausts out the back of the case.  The right hand fan pushes air through the middle “Nested V” section and exausts out  the sides and into the case. This section is the vapor plate with cooling fins And would have the gpu and ram under it.  So sort of a half blower style half non-reference style.  The blower section is top down and the non-reference section uses what would effectively be a blower fan.  Except it’s not.  So a bit like the old 1080 reference designs turned backwards and with a separate fan for the VRM and other bits.

If this is true I wonder if the propeller style right hand fan has enough static pressure to blow through those backwards facing fins.  There would have to be a channel in the center of the V fin section for the air to come through before turning back

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

bleugh also why are they going back to one fan/blower style

9 minutes ago, System32.exe said:

Could you imagine if it actually ends up being more efficient than the traditional axial fan setup? And then Nvidia patents it and no one else could use it? Oof. That would suck.

I don’t see it as being a whole heckuva lot different that the old reference 1080s.  Might be quieter with no hamster wheel fan and the stuff not under the vapor chamber gets better cooling.  I didn’t pay much attention to the old 1080 coolers so I don’t know how well they worked.  

4 minutes ago, billcxsby said:

bleugh also why are they going back to one fan/blower style

There are advantages to blower.  It gets heat out of the case for one thing.  The biggest problem with it was that it needed a hamster wheel style fan which was loud. From what I am gathering (and I may be gathering badly) this is sort of half blower with only part of the air being pushed out of the case, and the finned bit exiting inside the case.  Compartmentalized dual blower maybe?

I don’t see it as being a whole heckuva lot different that the old reference 1080s.

It's very different,possibly revolutionary.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If this is true I wonder if the propeller style right hand fan has enough static pressure to blow through those backwards facing fins.

Backwards thins?,the thins on the right side are different from those on the left.

The thin design helps directing the airflow for exhaust on the IO Bracket side.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

The cooler is separated to 3 zones,2 of them are intake+exhaust,the other one is passively cooled due to the thin design.

To clarify, my earlier use of intake/exhaust was in the style of case fan strategy. Of course, for a fan to work what goes in must come out. To me it looks like the fans are taking air from outside the GPU enclosure, and pushing it in/through, as opposed to trying to pull it out.

48 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

The camera is pointed almost straight down at the bottom one, you can tell because the side of the shroud isn't visible on the top or bottom edges. Also look at the barcode on the PCIE connector, at this steep angle if that was on the top face the barcode wouldn't be obscured at all.

Look at the prongs on the backplate. There's quite an angle there from perspective.

48 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Also zoom in on the fan on that card, leftmost pair of blades, you can see some solder well under the fan, that means the PCB just there has to be a good distance away from the top of the shroud.

I see something there, but I couldn't say what it is. That would be about the right location for whatever frame the fan has to mount onto something. If you look to the left of that area, you can see what appear to be solder bumps of some sort, as well as silk screen markings. The PCB is close to the camera, behind whatever thickness the cover has. That combined with the perspective seems sufficient for the barcode obscuration. 

15 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It's very different,possibly revolutionary.

Backwards thins?,the thins on the right side are different from those on the left.

The thin design helps directing the airflow for exhaust on the IO Bracket side.

I don’t know from revolutionary in this case. Looks fairly similar in concept.  “Revolutionary” would be comparison.

By thin do you mean fin?

Just now, Bombastinator said:

By thin do you mean fin?

Yes

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Yes

In that case I am thinking perhaps the ones on the left and the ones on the right are the same ones which is why I said V shape.  If those fins are hollow and part of the vapor chamber that’s some expensive manufacturing I suspect.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

In that case I am thinking perhaps the ones on the left and the ones on the right are the same ones which is why I said V shape.  If those fins are hollow and part of the vapor chamber that’s some expensive manufacturing I suspect.

cooler_01.png.e01dd35f9eb9d29dd2c9fd4bda918b23.png

9 minutes ago, Vishera said:

cooler_01.png.e01dd35f9eb9d29dd2c9fd4bda918b23.png

I was talking about the middle part.  That bit could just be knurled plastic made to look similar to the middle part.  I’m not convinced that section is functional.  That would be even more expensive to do as functional fins.  They’re too steep to cast so they would have to be soldered on or extruded and then the fan area cut out.  Problems there too because they’re thin.   Gigantic expense.  Extrude the fin stack, freeze it in a block of ice to support the fins during cutting and then melt the ice?  Still really expensive.  I’m thinking it’s cosmetic.  Slot two of them together to support each other then drill two at once?  Less expensive, possible release problems, still needs a hella big hole saw.  I’m still going with cosmetic as most likely.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I was talking about the middle part.  That bit could just be knurled plastic made to look similar to the middle part.  I’m not convinced that section is functional.

Seems like it's functional, @porina caught something in the design that i didn't,this one more accurate:

8 hours ago, porina said:

3080cooler.thumb.jpg.9d8d6fff94fe990d85b13da8218ce2a5.jpg