Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marionus

High temps on Ryzen 5 3600X even with an Aftermarket cooler

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello guys, I bought my pc parts a few months ago and it had cooling problems since the first day, my ryzen 5 would have gone up to 84C in full load with the stock cooler. First thing i did was to buy an Aftermarket cooler(This one https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-GT-BK-Motherboard-Supported/dp/B074P3JCXX), an improvement has been made but it still goes up to over 75C. After this i tought it was an Airflow problem because my gpu would overheat somethimes too, so I bought another 2 case fans, now the GPU never gets pass 65-67C,but the CPU it's even worse, today got to 78C. A lot of people never hit this temps with the stock cooler and 2 fans, i got five and an aftermarket cooler and it's almost useless, can somone help me?

1630487138_caseon.thumb.jpeg.1b6d31c1e08774a84ffe8c60a3963630.jpeg999387161_caseoff.thumb.jpeg.00c1bc49e0cc896e23d2d3b7db428c29.jpeg

Make sure it's seated correctly

Only use ryzen master to monitor temps 

Make sure you have a sufficient amount of thermal paste

My favorite case is the mechify c and it is the best case and if you say otherwise you're lying 

@TofuHaroto so I can see your post 

I seek to max the letter count on every ... Single ... Site 

only the bravest are capable of such mission

Spoiler

Hi

Seems like an airflow issue, very common theese days with this kind of pc cases. The front panel of your case blocks the 2 intake fans you have. I had the phanteks P400 with a front panel flush just like yours. Reinstall the top 2 fans as intake, and make sure that exhaust fan is at higher RPM. You can remove the front 2 fans or reinstall them as exhaust.

^

Best way to make sure if it is an airflow related issue: Remove the side panel and monitor the temps, and put the side panel back on, monitor the temps again. If they are higher, try my solution above.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 -  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S - Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450 PLUS Gaming - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - GPU: MSi GTX 1080Ti @2076Mhz w/NZXT Kraken G12&X52 - PSU: Corsair RM 750 - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink, Corsair Force GS 128GB, Sandisk SSD PLUS 480GB - Case: Phanteks P400A

Laptop: 2017 MacBook Pro 13" TouchBar

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Make sure it's seated correctly

Only use ryzen master to monitor temps 

Make sure you have a sufficient amount of thermal paste

I use ryzen master and core temp, the cooler is seated tight and the thermal paste was ok when I placed it, I will check it again.

6 minutes ago, Marionus said:

I use ryzen master and core temp, the cooler is seated tight and the thermal paste was ok when I placed it, I will check it again.

Your voltage?

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3900XT  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB OC@3466MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2 W/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower 

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW ‖ Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW ‖ Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown RGB ‖ Corsair SCIMITAR PRO RGB 

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2 W/ Black+White Sleeved Cables  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair IRONCLAW RGB WIRELESS

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Sold PC's  Big White

1 minute ago, TheDailyProcrastinator said:

Your voltage?

And soc voltage for the matter of fact

Do you have the latest bios aswell? 

My favorite case is the mechify c and it is the best case and if you say otherwise you're lying 

Spoiler

Hi

12 minutes ago, Marionus said:

Make sure the BIOS and chipset drivers are updated. Also see about undervolting. MSI and Gigabyte overvolt the CPU on the default setting

Also keep in mind that the Gammax cooler you have is a very low end option and in some cases performs worse than smaller but higher quality coolers (the pipes on the Gammax are really shitty)

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Gigabyte overvolt the CPU on the default setting

Especially gigabyte ;)

Check your VID and VDD

Spoiler

Hi

I'd say use Ryzen Master to check temps, update the BIOS and chipset drivers, maybe undervolt, but I also have to say that, as @Descorator also mentioned above, it looks to me like an airflow problem. The front fans are getting choked by that solid front panel, and the fact that you've got more exhausts than intakes also won't help really.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K (w/ TG Hydronaut) | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz CL15 | Intel 660p 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | WD Green 2TB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra (w/ TG Hydronaut @ 0.95V) | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout USB-C

Displays: BenQ BL2420PT & Alienware AW2521HF

Peripherals: Steelseries Rival 600 & Logitech MX Master 3 | Ducky Shine 7 Gunmetal (Cherry MX Brown) | Sennheiser Game One | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Laptop:  Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2018 - i5-8259U | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD

I don't know if it helps, but my motherboard automatically boosted my cpu so went over my base clock often, what helped was that I set the bios to just go to the base clock. After that, my 80-90 degree ryzen cpu was just 70 and 85 max with base cooler

1 minute ago, Jaromy said:

I don't know if it helps, but my motherboard automatically boosted my cpu so went over my base clock often, what helped was that I set the bios to just go to the base clock. After that, my 80-90 degree ryzen cpu was just 70 and 85 max with base cooler

Do you mean pbo?

Spoiler

Hi

Did that and here are the results using heavyload as the tool, with the case panel down it got to 65.6 and with the case panel up it got to 66.471568379795_caseup.png.532d57ac751ff77cb15f7f47bb5ca59b.png735865406_Casepaneldown.png.d87fe9528c8590267fe2ffcf934df75c.png

1 minute ago, Marionus said:

Did that and here are the results using heavyload as the tool, with the case panel down it got to 65.6 and with the case panel up it got to 66.471568379795_caseup.png.532d57ac751ff77cb15f7f47bb5ca59b.png735865406_Casepaneldown.png.d87fe9528c8590267fe2ffcf934df75c.png

@Descorator   This is how the fans look like now

case fans new.jpeg

36 minutes ago, TheDailyProcrastinator said:

Your voltage?

In the post above are my amd ryzen master specs

34 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

And soc voltage for the matter of fact

Do you have the latest bios aswell? 

I updated it from their site in march, don't think there is a new update (The mobo is Asus)

30 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Also keep in mind that the Gammax cooler you have is a very low end option and in some cases performs worse than smaller but higher quality coolers (the pipes on the Gammax are really shitty)

I know it's low budget, i didn't want to invest a lot in a 200$ cpu that i use mostly for gaming

Just now, Marionus said:

@Descorator   This is how the fans look like now

case fans new.jpeg

Let me know about the temps, if this doesn't work, you probably need to play with your cpu and soc voltages.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 -  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S - Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450 PLUS Gaming - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - GPU: MSi GTX 1080Ti @2076Mhz w/NZXT Kraken G12&X52 - PSU: Corsair RM 750 - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink, Corsair Force GS 128GB, Sandisk SSD PLUS 480GB - Case: Phanteks P400A

Just now, Descorator said:

Let me know about the temps, if this doesn't work, you probably need to play with your cpu and soc voltages.

Fired up AC Odyssey too and it dosen't seem to get passed 67C, I will do some more testing and tomorow(I am from Europr) i will tell you exaclty how it goes. So far it's better

2 hours ago, Marionus said:

Fired up AC Odyssey too and it dosen't seem to get passed 67C, I will do some more testing and tomorow(I am from Europr) i will tell you exaclty how it goes. So far it's better

Good to hear. Also keep in mind ambient. All the tearing you see online is done at 21c ambient. I'd yours is higher, temps also rise

3 hours ago, Marionus said:

Thats nice to hear. Glad it worked out for now.

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Good to hear. Also keep in mind ambient. All the tearing you see online is done at 21c ambient. I'd yours is higher, temps also rise

As @5x5 said, keep en eye on ambient. I have 10-15 degree celcius temperature difference between day and night where i live so my temps differ noticeably. It doesn't change 10-15 on ambient but it really affects it.