High Temperatures - Dont really know what to do?

Clov3R

Hi

So i just got this pc like a month ago. i bought it off someone so i didnt built it myself and i dont know allot about Pc's.

For some reason i get pretty high temperatures when i check it on Core Temp and Speccy.

When im idle at my desktop it is around 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit),

When im gaming it just goes all the way to 90 even 100 degrees Celsius (194 - 212 degrees Fahrenheit) sometimes.

My question is Basicly what can i do to fix this or is this normal?

It just doesnt look normal and my Pc is pretty damn loud wehn i turn on a game.

i was thinking of just upgrading the cpu cooler?

So here are the Specs: (Not overclocked because i have never overclocked anything so)

CPU: Intel I5-9600k (3.7 GHz)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

RAM: 16GB

COOLER: Intel Stock Cooler

POWER: 600W

Idle:                                                                                 InGame:

1756837076_TempsIdle.PNG.50ab8c4115b83f911a157321b9f10d54.PNG1178957478_TempsInGame.PNG.c5706e64a9614f77dd6028dcc2da1904.PNG

Get a better cooler - Intel's current CPUs are notorious for running very hot. The stock cooler is VERY bad as well.

4 minutes ago, Clov3R said:

Hi

So i just got this pc like a month ago. i bought it off someone so i didnt built it myself and i dont know allot about Pc's.

For some reason i get pretty high temperatures when i check it on Core Temp and Speccy.

When im idle at my desktop it is around 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit),

When im gaming it just goes all the way to 90 even 100 degrees Celsius (194 - 212 degrees Fahrenheit) sometimes.

My question is Basicly what can i do to fix this or is this normal?

It just doesnt look normal and my Pc is pretty damn loud wehn i turn on a game.

i was thinking of just upgrading the cpu cooler?

So here are the Specs: (Not overclocked because i have never overclocked anything so)

CPU: Intel I5-9600k (3.7 GHz)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

RAM: 16GB

COOLER: Intel Stock Cooler

POWER: 600W

Idle:                                                                                 InGame:

1756837076_TempsIdle.PNG.50ab8c4115b83f911a157321b9f10d54.PNG1178957478_TempsInGame.PNG.c5706e64a9614f77dd6028dcc2da1904.PNG

That’s very not normal. Are you using the stock intel cooler? It’s plenty good enough for your CPU.

Is it clicked in all the way? The pins you have to push in to mount the stock CPU do take some force to get in. And you didn’t remove the thermal paste by mistake, correct?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

That’s very not normal. Are you using the stock intel cooler? It’s plenty good enough for your CPU.

Is it clicked in all the way? The pins you have to push in to mount the stock CPU do take some force to get in. And you didn’t remove the thermal paste by mistake, correct?

This is VERY normal for the intel stock cooler and modern Intel CPUs - they run hot and need large coolers to work.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Get a better cooler - Intel's current CPUs are notorious for running very hot. The stock cooler is VERY bad as well.

Yes, stock coolers are not the best. But a stock cooler is plenty for a non overclocked chip. There must be a mounting issue.

Game load shouldn’t be anywhere near the 90’s. Even a full synthetic stress test shouldn’t be high 90’s...

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Just now, LIGISTX said:

Yes, stock coolers are not the best. But a stock cooler is plenty for a non overclocked chip. There must be a mounting issue.

Game load shouldn’t be anywhere near the 90’s. Even a full synthetic stress test shouldn’t be high 90’s...

Dude - I have an 8th gen i7 - have tested for shits and giggles -  the stock cooler idled at 80*C - it's a HORRIBLE cooler.

3 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

i have not touched anythin on the inside so i dont know if it mounted correctly or even if it has enough cooling paste so might wanne check that befor i replace cooler?

Just now, 5x5 said:

This is VERY normal for the intel stock cooler and modern Intel CPUs - they run hot and need large coolers to work.

That’s just not true. Not under gaming load. If that was true, every intel CPU would overheat and thermal throttle which is not the case. They run warm, yes. They don’t run that hot though. My 9900k does stock speed on a hyper 212 evo with game load in the 60’s.... assuming a hyper 212 runs ~20c cooler than stock cooler that’s still only in the 80’s. And that’s on a 9900k which is a literal ball of fire.... a 9600k is a much lower power chip. 

That’s just not true. Not under gaming load. If that was true, every intel CPU would overheat and thermal throttle which is not the case. They run warm, yes. They don’t run that hot though. My 9900k does stock speed on a hyper 212 evo with game load in the 60’s.... assuming a hyper 212 runs ~20c cooler than stock cooler that’s still only in the 80’s. And that’s on a 9900k which is a literal ball of fire.... a 9600k is a much lower power chip. 

Dude - the 212 runs about 40 cooler than the intel stock cooler and the 9900K uses solder while the 9600K uses paste....

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Dude - I have an 8th gen i7 - have tested for shits and giggles -  the stock cooler idled at 80*C - it's a HORRIBLE cooler.

That’s also not true. I had a 5ghz 8700k. Hyper 212 evo was enough for it at 5ghz at 1.300v... ran in the high 90’s under synthetic stress test. But I had a solid chip at only needing 1.300v.

The stock cooler didn’t idle after 80c, and it it did, it’s installed wrong. 

Just now, 5x5 said:

Dude - the 212 runs about 40 cooler than the intel stock cooler and the 9900K uses solder while the 9600K uses paste....

I’m sorry, this is just not correct. It’s not a 40c delta. It does use solder, crappy solder. But it’s also a much higher TDP chip. If you can find me data on a 40c drop, I’ll believe you. But I am positive that isn’t true. 

That’s also not true. I had a 5ghz 8700k. Hyper 212 evo was enough for it at 5ghz at 1.300v... ran in the high 90’s under synthetic stress test. But I had a solid chip at only needing 1.300v.

The stock cooler didn’t idle after 80c, and it it did, it’s installed wrong. 

I have one now - during today's render, on a Dark Rock CPU cooler, I was in the mid 80s. Please, stop trying to tell me what MY temperatures are :D

3 minutes ago, Clov3R said:

i have not touched anythin on the inside so i dont know if it mounted correctly or even if it has enough cooling paste so might wanne check that befor i replace cooler?

Did you build it, or buy it prebuilt? Sorry for the bit so helpful side discussion going on here....

The stock heatsink is plenty enough for a non overclocked CPU, so something is likely wrong. I have to run though so I won’t be able to help for a few hours unfortunately. But let us know if you bought it or built it and we can go from there. 

5 minutes ago, Clov3R said:

The cooler is just terrible - same thing happened to me when I tested. Just get a Dark Rock and you'll be fine. Ignore that guy - he's just trying to waste your time remounting the horrid stock cooler.

Did you build it, or buy it prebuilt? Sorry for the bit so helpful side discussion going on here....

The stock heatsink is plenty enough for a non overclocked CPU, so something is likely wrong. I have to run though so I won’t be able to help for a few hours unfortunately. But let us know if you bought it or built it and we can go from there. 

Personally built it and remounted 3 times to make sure my testing wasn't skewed. It's also using high end paste. Trust me, the stock cooler is utter shit.

7 minutes ago, Clov3R said:

For reference - you have a 95W rated CPU at base clock (130W at boost clock) and are using a 65W stock cooler. THat should explain why the thermals are bad.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

I have one now - during today's render, on a Dark Rock CPU cooler, I was in the mid 80s. Please, stop trying to tell me what MY temperatures are :D

Mid 80’s during a render sounds correct, depending on the speed and volts. Remember, a render is much more intensive than gaming, 15+c higher easily. He is hitting high 90’s in a game, which means he couldn’t even render anything without thermal throttle.

You said your stock cooler ran idle of 80c, that isn’t true. If it did, it was not installed correctly...

Just now, LIGISTX said:

Mid 80’s during a render sounds correct, depending on the speed and volts. Remember, a render is much more intensive than gaming, 15+c higher easily. He is hitting high 90’s in a game, which means he couldn’t even render anything without thermal throttle.

You said your stock cooler ran idle of 80c, that isn’t true. If it did, it was not installed correctly...

It did and it was - you really haven't tested the stock cooler on paste-based CPUs :D

Also the render is on a Dark Rock - a massive heatsink.

Just now, LIGISTX said:

I did not build it myself. the person i bought it from said it was built by someone idk who but ye i havent built a pc and i dont know to much about it but this just doesnt look right :/

I went to a computer Stora and they told me that either their wasent enought cooling paste or the cooler isen't mounted right so imma probably bring my pc in for inspection i guess was just trying to confirm what could be the problem here.

Just now, Clov3R said:

I did not build it myself. the person i bought it from said it was built by someone idk who but ye i havent built a pc and i dont know to much about it but this just doesnt look right :/

I went to a computer Stora and they told me that either their wasent enought cooling paste or the cooler isen't mounted right so imma probably bring my pc in for inspection i guess was just trying to confirm what could be the problem here.

Results will be the same - if it weren't mounted well you'd get thermal shutdown.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Results will be the same - if it weren't mounted well you'd get thermal shutdown.

ye its strange to me how i get these temperatures but its not like i get lag or anything because of it?

Just now, Clov3R said:

ye its strange to me how i get these temperatures but its not like i get lag or anything because of it?

Because while the temperature is very bad for the CPU, it's also not tripping the 105*C thermal shutdown point or the 101*C thermal throttle point. In any case, get a better cooler to avoid damage to the CPU long term

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Because while the temperature is very bad for the CPU, it's also not tripping the 105*C thermal shutdown point or the 101*C thermal throttle point. In any case, get a better cooler to avoid damage to the CPU long term

okay i will have a look into it. should i go Water or Air cooling then? since i dont intend to overclock i think..

Just now, Clov3R said:

okay i will have a look into it. should i go Water or Air cooling then? since i dont intend to overclock i think..

Get a Dark Rock 4 and call it a day

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Get a Dark Rock 4 and call it a day

I will look into it! :) thank you for your time