500 PSU

zxie
Go to solution Solved by RAS_3885,
10 minutes ago, zxie said:

@RAS_3885

he's playing on 144 refresh rate  1920x1080 res
he plays pubg often,

and msi afterburner shows that the gpu usage is about 40% to 60% and rarely 80%

temps are very good and nothing wrong with it.
And he also rarely have stutters ingame for example GPU is 50% it goes immediately to 3% and it goes back to 50%

I know the gpu should not be 99% everytime, it can be 50% usage and you got 200Fps.  it's possible.
but he's not getting as much as he should be.

Does he cap the frame rate to 144 FPS to match his monitor refresh rate (either v-sync, Nvidia driver FPS limiter, RTSS, or something else)? If so, and he's hitting that 144 FPS, then there's no issue. The GPU will only run as fast as it needs to.

If he hasn't capped the frame rate then it should run full-tilt unless the CPU bottlenecks, but for an 8700k I'm not expecting that to be an issue. Verify CPU usage I guess since I think PUBG is CPU heavy at times.

So, if he's not getting full utilization and one of these applies:

• Capped the frame rate and NOT getting 144 FPS
  • -OR- running uncapped frame rate (verify not CPU limited via CPU usage percentage)

...then there may be a power issue.

Otherwise it's fine since he's getting the performance needed to drive the FPS at the resolution he plays at.

EDIT: Benchmarks will tell for sure it the performance is as expected for that card.

This is my friend's pc and he's not getting 99% or at least 80% GPU Usage at most of the games.
and we were thinking if the gpu is not getting enough power
so here is the specs:
MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti
I7 8700k (Stock)
32GB
1TB HD - 120GB ssd

Is 500PSU enough for it ?

@gloop

not sure what is it but i'm pretty sure it's not cheap

53 minutes ago, zxie said:

This is my friend's pc and he's not getting 99% or at least 80% GPU Usage at most of the games.
and we were thinking if the gpu is not getting enough power
so here is the specs:
MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti
I7 8700k (Stock)
32GB
1TB HD - 120GB ssd

Is 500PSU enough for it ?

It's possible it's a power issue. MSI recommends a 600 W PSU for that card, however, the manufacturer will typically be conservative on the recommendation.

What do temps look like while gaming? What games is he playing and what resolution/refresh rate? Easier to run games and lower resolutions and refresh rates may not require 100 percent utilization from a 1080 Ti, so without that information it's hard to say if something is actually wrong.

Does the utilization hit 90+ percent in benchmarks?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

@RAS_3885

he plays pubg often,

And he also rarely have stutters ingame for example GPU is 50% it goes immediately to 3% and it goes back to 50%

I know the gpu should not be 99% everytime, it can be 50% usage and you got 200Fps.  it's possible.

10 minutes ago, zxie said:

@RAS_3885

he plays pubg often,

Does he cap the frame rate to 144 FPS to match his monitor refresh rate (either v-sync, Nvidia driver FPS limiter, RTSS, or something else)? If so, and he's hitting that 144 FPS, then there's no issue. The GPU will only run as fast as it needs to.

If he hasn't capped the frame rate then it should run full-tilt unless the CPU bottlenecks, but for an 8700k I'm not expecting that to be an issue. Verify CPU usage I guess since I think PUBG is CPU heavy at times.

So, if he's not getting full utilization and one of these applies:

• Capped the frame rate and NOT getting 144 FPS
  • -OR- running uncapped frame rate (verify not CPU limited via CPU usage percentage)

...then there may be a power issue.

Otherwise it's fine since he's getting the performance needed to drive the FPS at the resolution he plays at.

EDIT: Benchmarks will tell for sure it the performance is as expected for that card.

Edited by RAS_3885
Benchmarks

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, zxie said:

@RAS_3885Thank you brother, you really helped a lot.

You betcha!