CPU Cooler RAM Clearance and Alternative Cooling Solution

Jammienator

I recently got some upgrades for my build, a new case (Corsair 110R), more RAM (2x8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3000mhz) taking me up to 32gb with all 4 DIMM slots taken up and a new cooler (be quiet! Dark Rock 4).

Build:

i7 9700k

RTX 2080 Super

4x8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3000mhz

be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Aorus Pro z390

Transferring everything over to my new case went fine, but my only problem was that now all my DIMM slots are taken up, the massive Dark Rock 4 doesn't clear my RAM, so turned it round to face the back towards where the exhaust fan will, no biggie. After finishing the build and testing it, I realised my temps climbed to about 81C at full load, 30C - 40C while idle. I realised that the CPU fan and the exhaust fan were pulling against each other and making some kind of hot air vortex in the case. So now I've resorted to flipping the CPU fan over so it's pulling air through the fins and I've bought an extra case fan to stick at the front of the case to help get air to the CPU fan on the other side. Is this an acceptable solution?

those temps are kinda high for dark rock pro 4, cant you keep it that way but add 1 fan on top of case?

15 minutes ago, Jammienator said:

So now I've resorted to flipping the CPU fan over so it's pulling air through the fins and I've bought an extra case fan to stick at the front of the case to help get air to the CPU fan on the other side. Is this an acceptable solution?

check the temps and see

Try to turn it around so both fans blow out the back of the case. You can try to remove the 1 front fan of the dark rock pro to fin your RAM. Performance should still be good enough for your cpu with the fan in the middle. Expecially if you dont OC.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Try to turn it around so both fans blow out the back of the case. You can try to remove the 1 front fan of the dark rock pro to fin your RAM. Performance should still be good enough for your cpu with the fan in the middle. Expecially if you dont OC.

9 minutes ago, Chabax said:

those temps are kinda high for dark rock pro 4, cant you keep it that way but add 1 fan on top of case?

It's not the pro, just the standard DR4

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

check the temps and see

I haven't fitted the extra fan yet, I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I just wanted to see if there are more optimal solutions than what I'm planning on doing.

1 minute ago, Jammienator said:

It's not the pro, just the standard DR4

Can you still return the RAM and sell the other 2, then get the LPX low-profile Version? Had no isuses with that on both my dark rock 4 and dark rock 4 pro in the past. If you're not overclocking the Dark Rock Slim or Noctua NH-U12S Chromax black are fantastic choices aswell if you return the Dark Rock 4. Both of them have 100% RAM clearance.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Can you still return the RAM and sell the other 2, then get the LPX low-profile Version? Had no isuses with that on both my dark rock 4 and dark rock 4 pro in the past. If you're not overclocking the Dark Rock Slim or Noctua NH-U12S Chromax black are fantastic choices aswell if you return the Dark Rock 4. Both of them have 100% RAM clearance.

I'd like to find a solution where I don't have to sell and return parts. If it comes to it I will have to consider the other coolers and return the DR4 (thanks for the suggestions), I like to keep overclocking as an option but I'm not OC'ing at the moment.

can you mount the fan on the cooler a bit higher so that it clears the ram?

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

can you mount the fan on the cooler a bit higher so that it clears the ram?

It doesn't quite make it above the ram, the bracket that holds the fan clears the top of the heatsink so it isn't secure, but I'll double check it before I flip the fan.

What was your previous cooler and temps with it? What kind of load? Temps aren't that crazy if you are running like P95.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If I remember correctly.  The DR4 has a second set of fan clips for mounting another fan to the cooler so you get a push/pull config.  The extra fan clips are for a 120 mm fan.  The original fan that ships is a 135 mm.  If you have an extra 120 mm fan, you could try putting that above the RAM to push air through the cooler since it is a little smaller.  You would probably still have to raise it a bit to clear that first RAM slot, but the 120 mm size might be more secure even it the top clears the cooler.  Then just keep the 135 mm Silent Wings fan on the back of the cooler tower.