Strange Issue - Monitors go black, fans spin up but Windows is active

Zangoose

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had any similar experience or could point me in the right direction. Basically all my monitors go off (black, lose signal etc) and the fans inside the case all spin up. From what I can tell, its most fans. The only fan that isn't spinning is the power supply.

Windows is still running in the background as I can hear sounds like Spotify or game sounds. I can't seem to get the screens back on, even if unplugging the DisplayPort/HDMI cables in and out of the graphics card. Normally takes a full reboot. Will happen quite regular now and sometimes 2 times in a short period of time. This does normally happen when I'm playing games - Although I did run a GPU stress test and CPU stress tests and wasn't able to re-produce it on my own. 

The specs of the system are below:

• Windows 10 (Version 1909)
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X (No overclock, just whatever it comes with out of the box)
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMOHAWK MAX (BIOS Version: 7C02v35 / 3.50)
  • PSU: Corsair RM650x
  • Ram: Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 Vengeance LPX (4x8GB Sticks, Total: 32GB Ram)
  • GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

What fans are spinning up? I would think this is a GPU problem, try reinstalling the display drivers

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

9 minutes ago, mbntr said:

What fans are spinning up? I would think this is a GPU problem, try reinstalling the display drivers

It sounds like all of them - It's not the GPU fans on it's own as I put those to max rev and it sounded nothing like it. I think it's a combination of case fans and maybe GPU fan. I've just downloaded and installed the latest GPU drivers last night. So I will be seeing if that solves anything. 

1 minute ago, Zangoose said:

It sounds like all of them - It's not the GPU fans on it's own as I put those to max rev and it sounded nothing like it. I think it's a combination of case fans and maybe GPU fan. I've just downloaded and installed the latest GPU drivers last night. So I will be seeing if that solves anything. 

You can still try DDU

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

well, check your power saving settings. my linux pc eill, when watching a movie for an hour or other task that doesn't require mouse movement, go dark screen. so maybe its a if on for x ammount of time then go dark setting. mine usually fixes with mouse movement, but thats cause its lock. windows has a diffrent type of sleep mode i heard could cause issues like yours.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

51 minutes ago, Snowarch said:

well, check your power saving settings. my linux pc eill, when watching a movie for an hour or other task that doesn't require mouse movement, go dark screen. so maybe its a if on for x ammount of time then go dark setting. mine usually fixes with mouse movement, but thats cause its lock. windows has a diffrent type of sleep mode i heard could cause issues like yours.

I'm using the PC at time when it does happen - Keyboard and mouse activity. I'm on the high performance power plan in Windows and the screens are told not to turn off. 

Update - As it just happened again moments ago. I grabbed my laptop and was able to remote desktop into the PC. Windows is running still - I did notice that the graphics card was missing from HWMonitor and also task manager. The device manager had ! mark for the device. 

What was also interesting is that I have the case fans, keyboard connected to iCue (Corsair Software) which then says "No devices connected". This is probably what causes to spin the fans up as nothing is then controlling them? 

It sounds like a possible problem with the graphics card. Not sure why iCue would also kick off and say no devices connected though?