Need Suggestion on Reverse Airflow

I have this case (Antec NX200) which has a bad reputation for airflow it supports up to 5 120mm fans. There's no opening in the front to take fresh air in. Only way the air can get in is the bottom.

So I'm thinking to install the top 2 fans as intake as there is mesh at the top (also has dust filters on top) so cool air can get in easily and 1 exhaust in the rear and 2 exhaust at the front. Because I think it would be hard pulling air from the bottom of the case. Would that benefit me??

IMG_20200604_014600.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

I'd suggest 1 top 1 rear and two front. 

In what orientation

Most cases and coolers (cpu and gpu) are designed for right to left airflow. Changing that you'll probably get worse temps

Just now, EAvirus said:

In what orientation

So if you have more out than in you will get dusk since it will pull air from cracks. So the front 2 should be intake and the others should be pushing air out. Ideally its a bit more positive than this but since the case only allows 2 in the front much can't be done.

Bit confused here, what makes you think you can only exhaust air from the front, but not intake?

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

Bit confused here, what makes you think you can only exhaust air from the front, but not intake?

Yeah, that's baffling me as well. I mean...if the air can flow in one direction, it can flow in the other as well....

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 minutes ago, EAvirus said:

There's no opening in the front to take fresh air in

The NX500 has openings at the top and the bottom which should be enough for your system.

2 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Because there is no mesh in the front to take the fresh air in but at the there is mesh and dust feel filter

Just now, EAvirus said:

Because there is no mesh in the front to take the fresh air in but at the there is mesh and dust feel filter

That still doesn't make any sense. If you can push air out, you can also pull air in. It's not magic.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

The NX500 has openings at the top and the bottom which should be enough for your system.

I have already bought nx200 at that time I didn't think about airflow now I'm concerned

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That still doesn't make any sense. If you can push air out, you can also pull air in. It's not magic.

I just thought it would be hard to pull air in from the bottom without any mesh in the front and as there is mesh at the top and dust filter the air would get in easily and get out from the rear exhaust and front exhaust. Probably I'm wrong. I'm confused as hell. Didn't know much about airflow while I was buying this case.

When you're dealing with Air flow, you can think of the air as being water as it behaves pretty much identically (in fact its called fluid dynamics). As the exhaust fans push air out the pressure differential created in the case will suck air back anyway, the intake fans are pretty much only there so you can choose where the air gets sucked in from (obviously they also help with movement volume), without them it would simply suck air in from all the other holes in the case naturally (again, obviously this would be choked if there was no intake opening).

It honestly makes no difference where you place your fans in the case, top, bottom, sides, middle, it doesn't matter. What matters is air flow direction and volume in and out, try to balance intake & outtake to maintain even pressure in your case, if you're going for negative pressure add more fans blowing out than in, if you want positive pressure add more blowing in than out. Try and direct the flow going from one direction to another, normally intake at the bottom and exhaust at the top is preferable (as hot air rises anyway) but honestly, it doesn't matter that much, as long as your sucking in from one end and exhausting at the other it will be good.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It honestly makes no difference where you place your fans in the case, top, bottom, sides, middle, it doesn't matter. What matters is air flow direction and volume in and out, try to balance intake & outtake to maintain even pressure in your case, if you're going for negative pressure add more fans blowing out than in, if you want positive pressure add more blowing in than out. Try and direct the flow going from one direction to another, normally intake at the bottom and exhaust at the top is preferable (as hot air rises anyway) but honestly, it doesn't matter that much, as long as your sucking in from one end and exhausting at the other it will be good.

Thanks. I think that makes sense. Can you tell me what temperatures I should expect with rx570 8gb and 2600x cpu and how to check them

13 hours ago, EAvirus said:

Thanks. I think that makes sense. Can you tell me what temperatures I should expect with rx570 8gb and 2600x cpu and how to check them

That gonna depend somewhat on the brand of the RX 570, the overall load on your system, and if your overclocking. Best way to check it just to use https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Temperature usually only really begins to become a concern if you plan to overclock quite a bit.

15 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

use https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Temperature usually only really begins to become a concern if you plan to overclock quite a bit.

Thanks Again. Not gonna overclock, it is factory overclocked version of msi armor 8gb card. 

On 6/4/2020 at 12:36 PM, EAvirus said:

I have this case (Antec NX200) which has a bad reputation for airflow it supports up to 5 120mm fans. There's no opening in the front to take fresh air in. Only way the air can get in is the bottom.

So I'm thinking to install the top 2 fans as intake as there is mesh at the top (also has dust filters on top) so cool air can get in easily and 1 exhaust in the rear and 2 exhaust at the front. Because I think it would be hard pulling air from the bottom of the case. Would that benefit me??

IMG_20200604_014600.jpg

I think exhaust at the rear, 2 intakes at the top and 2 exhaust fans on the front will do you fine. Some people replying on this post clearly don't know that the front panel of this case is restrictive, therefore fans placed as intake at the front are getting choked. If you do this config, your GPU temps might not drop, but your CPU temp will. You can try placing a static pressure fan on top of the PSU shroud blowing air to the GPU but I have doubts that it will work. I had the phanteks p400s and that case had a restrictive front panel as well. When I was gaming, I always took off the front panel. If you are willing to do that(removing the front panel of your case everytime you run a game or stress your system), set the rear and top 2 fans as exhaust and front 2 as intake. That will do fine, and it will be a great solution for both GPU and CPU. Another solution is to get a new case...

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256

9 hours ago, Fuzzyy said:

I think exhaust at the rear, 2 intakes at the top and 2 exhaust fans on the front will do you fine. Some people replying on this post clearly don't know that the front panel of this case is restrictive, therefore fans placed as intake at the front are getting choked. If you do this config, your GPU temps might not drop, but your CPU temp will. You can try placing a static pressure fan on top of the PSU shroud blowing air to the GPU but I have doubts that it will work. I had the phanteks p400s and that case had a restrictive front panel as well. When I was gaming, I always took off the front panel. If you are willing to do that(removing the front panel of your case everytime you run a game or stress your system), set the rear and top 2 fans as exhaust and front 2 as intake. That will do fine, and it will be a great solution for both GPU and CPU. Another solution is to get a new case...

Finally someone understands why I'm trying to do this. I can't take the pain of opening my front panel everytime I game on it. I will buy a new case but not for a while. Thank you 🙂

Ok wow this thread.

Check it out OP. Yes the front panel is restrictive but it's not blocked off. You're efforts are worthy. But, air goes where you tell it to go. The problem with your config is 2 fold. 

1. Top fan nearest the rear will be doing nothing as as rear fan is going to take it as exhaust.

2 the rest off the air is going to fight with exhausting out the front and getting to the GPU then exhausting. Where's the next bit of fresh air for the gpu. It's going to recycle hot air.

Just think about that.

So, here is your solution.

Rear fan intake. And cpu fan intaking from the rear too. 

Only one top fan nearest the front as exhaust( what only one fan. Yes we are streamline the air flow, creating a positive pressure system, and reducing wasted air or recycled air.)

2 front as intake.

When you step the fan profiles. 

Set the lower front intake at a slight faster rpm than the front top. 

Your GPU now gets air and your cpu covered . 

Chilling with the girl but when I'm at my pc later I'll make a diagram

11 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Ok wow this thread.

Check it out OP. Yes the front panel is restrictive but it's not blocked off. You're efforts are worthy. But, air goes where you tell it to go. The problem with your config is 2 fold. 

1. Top fan nearest the rear will be doing nothing as as rear fan is going to take it as exhaust.

2 the rest off the air is going to fight with exhausting out the front and getting to the GPU then exhausting. Where's the next bit of fresh air for the gpu. It's going to recycle hot air.

Just think about that.

So, here is your solution.

Rear fan intake. And cpu fan intaking from the rear too. 

Only one top fan nearest the front as exhaust( what only one fan. Yes we are streamline the air flow, creating a positive pressure system, and reducing wasted air or recycled air.)

2 front as intake.

When you step the fan profiles. 

Set the lower front intake at a slight faster rpm than the front top. 

Your GPU now gets air and your cpu covered . 

Chilling with the girl but when I'm at my pc later I'll make a diagram

Seems like quite a bit experiments to do. Thanks for the suggestions 🙃

Yay These closed or restricted front cases wouldnt  be so bad if they just did a reversed motherboard layout

Well with restricted front I usually like to configure it like the nzxt h500 with top and rear exhaust and let it be negative pressure and let the air enter through the constricted front and the unused pcie slots below the gpu.  It usually leads to acceptable gpu temps and a bit hotter cpu temps.  You could try that during your experimentations with airflow. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

4 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Yay These closed or restricted front cases wouldnt  be so bad if they just did a reversed motherboard layout

🤣🤣👍