Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CuzinEd

3700X high idle temps

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I just assembled my PC with my new motherboard and CPU. I had to wait about 4 days for Arctic to send me a bracket with special standoffs cause the one the Freezer 34 Esports Duo came with didn't work. I couldn't mount the cooler. 

 

My motherboard is an ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus, the one without the wifi. The cooler is the one mentioned above. 

 

The issue I am having is I checked core temp and even the AI suite and it says my temps are at 55 degrees Celsius. I was just internet browsing and installing things. 

 

**Edit**

 

I just checked. My temps are now in the mid 30's and occasionally spike to the mid or high 40's and some times as high as 50. 

 

Is this normal for a Ryzen CPU to be all over the place like that? My CPU is an R7 3700X. My last CPU was an intel i7 6700. 

 

I applied Arctic MX4. About a pea sized amount on the middle of the CPU. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CuzinEd said:

So I just assembled my PC with my new motherboard and CPU. I had to wait about 4 days for Arctic to send me a bracket with special standoffs cause the one the Freezer 34 Esports Duo came with didn't work. I couldn't mount the cooler. 

 

My motherboard is an ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus, the one without the wifi. The cooler is the one mentioned above. 

 

The issue I am having is I checked core temp and even the AI suite and it says my temps are at 55 degrees Celsius. I was just internet browsing and installing things. 

 

**Edit**

 

I just checked. My temps are now in the mid 30's and occasionally spike to the mid or high 40's and some times as high as 50. 

 

Is this normal for a Ryzen CPU to be all over the place like that? My CPU is an R7 3700X. My last CPU was an intel i7 6700. 

 

I applied Arctic MX4. About a pea sized amount on the middle of the CPU. 

55°C is not high at all. The fan profile might be the "issue". At low temps (<70-85°) the system usually tries to run as silently as possible, so lower fan speed = higher temps.

But really 50ish C is not high at all.

 

Also don't trust software readings, they are all flawed and cannot be trusted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CuzinEd said:

Is this normal for a Ryzen CPU to be all over the place like that?

yeah it looks ok. don't worry too much about idle temps unless the fan gets annoying.

what temps are you getting under load/stress test? if those stay under 85-90, you're fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CuzinEd said:

Is this normal for a Ryzen CPU to be all over the place like that? My CPU is an R7 3700X. My last CPU was an intel i7 6700. 

Ryzen is really in consistent in temps at idle 

Because there are alot of factors that change it 

Idle temps Dont matter as long as temps under load are fine 


My favorite case is the mechify c and it is the best case and if you say otherwise you're lying 

 

@TofuHaroto so I can see your post 

 

 

I seek to max the letter count on every ... Single ... Site 

only the bravest are capable of such mission

 

Spoiler

Hi

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

55°C is not high at all. The fan profile might be the "issue". At low temps (<70-85°) the system usually tries to run as silently as possible, so lower fan speed = higher temps.

But really 50ish C is not high at all.

 

Also don't trust software readings, they are all flawed and cannot be trusted.

All I have done is use the fan profiler in the AI suite. I ran that and the fan got up to speed and loud for a while. When that was done I just chose the standard fan profile. 

 

Well the coretemp temperature readings kind of matched up with the ones I saw for the CPU in the AI Suite. 

 

Any suggestion on what I should use to check the temps? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
25 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

yeah it looks ok. don't worry too much about idle temps unless the fan gets annoying.

what temps are you getting under load/stress test? if those stay under 85-90, you're fine.

I haven't done much with it yet. All I have been doing is installing Windows and setting my PC back up, like installing the device drivers and so on. 

 

I haven't put any major loads on it or stressed it yet. I don't do any video editing or anything with images. I don't have Cinebench or anything that people use to stress test a cpu. I mostly just game on my PC. 

 

I do have RDR2 and a few other demanding games I can throw at it. As long as it's quiet and runs my games well then I will be happy. 

 

Is there any free software I can use to stress it. 

 

22 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Ryzen is really in consistent in temps at idle 

Because there are alot of factors that change it 

Idle temps Dont matter as long as temps under load are fine 

I will keep that in mind. Like I said the only other CPU I had before this one was an intel i7 6700 and intel CPU's run pretty cool for the most part and are pretty consistent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CuzinEd said:

All I have done is use the fan profiler in the AI suite. I ran that and the fan got up to speed and loud for a while. When that was done I just chose the standard fan profile. 

 

Well the coretemp temperature readings kind of matched up with the ones I saw for the CPU in the AI Suite. 

 

Any suggestion on what I should use to check the temps? 

Every software is flawed, but it doesn't mean they are completely useless. If you wanted a true testing you need a thermal probe under the cooler, which is highly impratical.

So simply use multiple softwares, like running HW Monitor and AI Suite at the same time and see if they match which is already a good way to test if your temperatures "make sense". 

 

Keep in mind that the 6700 was a much lower cores part, and had different ways of "boosting" it's frequency. Ryzen acts more like a GPU, always trying to push as much mhz as it can until it reaches a power limit. So it's normal that it doesn't consistently report the same temp. You could overclock it to a certain specific voltage and that would keep it more consistent.

 

Measure the temps under high stress load, that's the best way to see if you cooler isn't keeping up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryzen Master is the only official tool for Ryzen temperature measurement.

 

Cinebench R20 is a free tool.

 

Don't forget to use the AMD chipset drivers directly from AMD. The latest version has been released yesterday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, 3rrant said:

Every software is flawed, but it doesn't mean they are completely useless. If you wanted a true testing you need a thermal probe under the cooler, which is highly impratical.

So simply use multiple softwares, like running HW Monitor and AI Suite at the same time and see if they match which is already a good way to test if your temperatures "make sense". 

 

Keep in mind that the 6700 was a much lower cores part, and had different ways of "boosting" it's frequency. Ryzen acts more like a GPU, always trying to push as much mhz as it can until it reaches a power limit. So it's normal that it doesn't consistently report the same temp. You could overclock it to a certain specific voltage and that would keep it more consistent.

 

Measure the temps under high stress load, that's the best way to see if you cooler isn't keeping up.

 

I will keep that mind. I just figured all the CPU's would act the same way as far heating and cooling is concerned. 

 

I was just looking at Ryzen master and the temps on master and the core temp were way different. Master shows the CPU as running much cooler. I guess I will stick with master for checking the temps. Core temp seems to be off. It's what I used with my i7 6700. 

 

I will install my second SSD later and get the case covers back on and go at it with cinebench and some demanding games like Read Dead 2. 

 

Should I enable PBO before I test it or is it enabled automatically? I heard a lot about this feature when I was looking into the 3700x. I heard PBO auto overclocks it and it's better and easier than doing it manually. Also that PBO pushes it to it's limits and the 3700X wasn't capable of much overclocking beyond what PBO could do anyway. 

1 hour ago, 191x7 said:

Ryzen Master is the only official tool for Ryzen temperature measurement.

 

Cinebench R20 is a free tool.

 

Don't forget to use the AMD chipset drivers directly from AMD. The latest version has been released yesterday.

 

Yeah I am noticing that Ryzen Master says my temps are cooler while core temp has them going up and down a lot. They seem to be cooler and more steady with master. 

 

I will get cinebench later on and try it out. 

 

I got the latest chipset drivers earlier yesterday from AMD cause I wanted the Ryzen balanced power plan and I got Ryzen Master while I was there. I didn't even bother to install the driver chipset from the ASUS. 

 

I wish someone would have told me that cause I was basically going along like it was my intel CPU. I basically got all the motherboard drivers from ASUS like I did with my H170 Pro Gaming. 

 

I can see now that things are different with AMD CPU's. AMD has better drivers than the motherboard manufacturers website. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CuzinEd said:

Should I enable PBO before I test it or is it enabled automatically? I heard a lot about this feature when I was looking into the 3700x. I heard PBO auto overclocks it and it's better and easier than doing it manually. Also that PBO pushes it to it's limits and the 3700X wasn't capable of much overclocking beyond what PBO could do anyway. 

Super in depth explanation of PBO etc: 

 

TL;DR yes, you can't push much more out of your processor than what AMD already does for you, usually. That's true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 6/4/2020 at 4:18 AM, boggy77 said:

yeah it looks ok. don't worry too much about idle temps unless the fan gets annoying.

what temps are you getting under load/stress test? if those stay under 85-90, you're fine.

I just ran Cinebench and it never went above 65 degrees Celsius. I used Ryzen Master to monitor the temps. I even ran it in single core and it never went above 60 degrees Celsius. That's about what I see in RDR2. 

 

I haven't enabled PBO yet though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×