Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Munken-

Windows Installation Help

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys! So I just built my new PC and of course need to get Windows now. I want to boot from a USB drive and was wondering if I can just buy Windows 10 from the Microsoft website and click the "Download" version. Would this basically just install the media creation tool with a key? From there I can just plug in the USB and download it to that and boot my new PC from the USB.

 

If this sounds bad to you, do you have any other recommendations?

 

Thank you for all your help!

Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as i know that windows 10 can install in one way route, it doesn't need a USB to boot or any of these stuffs. this only happens with windows 7 installation.

If your PC is a Windows 10 hardware supported you are good, you don't need to think about it.

But in case you are afraid you don't have some or all drivers not installed in your pc correctly, then you might consider downloading Wifi driver and usb driver, then you can browser for your other drivers, or you can just store all of those drivers before you install.

 

I'm not sure but some pirated version of windows 10 require usb boot (not recommended).


Pancakes and Hell 🥞 , @Naul so i can notice ^^.

 

Spoiler

Demon girls are Cute! 

-

-

Helltaker is a good game Click >> here << if you want to see.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Naul said:

As far as i know that windows 10 can install in one way route, it doesn't need a USB to boot or any of these stuffs. this only happens with windows 7 installation.

If your PC is a Windows 10 hardware supported you are good, you don't need to think about it.

But in case you are afraid you don't have some or all drivers not installed in your pc correctly, then you might consider downloading Wifi driver and usb driver, then you can browser for your other drivers, or you can just store all of those drivers before you install.

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by this. My PC is new and currently has no operating system installed, I need to get Windows on it now. Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe I'm understanding what you're saying wrong. Can you explain a little bit?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Talking_Monk said:

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by this. My PC is new and currently has no operating system installed, I need to get Windows on it now. Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe I'm understanding what you're saying wrong. Can you explain a little bit?

Oh, i thought you already got OS on your pc and want to upgrade sorry.

Well yes you might need to Use a bootable USB to use it for windows installation.


Pancakes and Hell 🥞 , @Naul so i can notice ^^.

 

Spoiler

Demon girls are Cute! 

-

-

Helltaker is a good game Click >> here << if you want to see.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Talking_Monk said:

Hey guys! So I just built my new PC and of course need to get Windows now. I want to boot from a USB drive and was wondering if I can just buy Windows 10 from the Microsoft website and click the "Download" version. Would this basically just install the media creation tool with a key? From there I can just plug in the USB and download it to that and boot my new PC from the USB.

 

If this sounds bad to you, do you have any other recommendations?

 

Thank you for all your help!

Not quite. You can either download the Media Creation Tool or an ISO, the ISO will need "flashing" to the USB drive before you can boot from it (something like RUFUS can do that), the MCT will handle the process of downloading Windows and creating the USB installer in such a way as it will be bootable and it does it all seamlessly. Either way you need a working computer to create the installer, MCT is Windows only, macOS & Linux both have ways of doing it too but neither is as simple as Microsoft's own solution.

 

8 minutes ago, Naul said:

As far as i know that windows 10 can install in one way route, it doesn't need a USB to boot or any of these stuffs. this only happens with windows 7 installation.

If your PC is a Windows 10 hardware supported you are good, you don't need to think about it.

But in case you are afraid you don't have some or all drivers not installed in your pc correctly, then you might consider downloading Wifi driver and usb driver, then you can browser for your other drivers, or you can just store all of those drivers before you install.

What does this even mean?


Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Master Disaster said:

Not quite. You can either download the Media Creation Tool or an ISO, the ISO will need "flashing" to the USB drive before you can boot from it (something like RUFUS can do that), the MCT will handle the process of downloading Windows and creating the USB installer in such a way as it will be bootable and it does it all seamlessly. Either way you need a working computer to create the installer, MCT is Windows only, macOS & Linux both have ways of doing it too but neither is as simple as Microsoft's own solution.

 

What does this even mean?

Misunderstanding lol.


Pancakes and Hell 🥞 , @Naul so i can notice ^^.

 

Spoiler

Demon girls are Cute! 

-

-

Helltaker is a good game Click >> here << if you want to see.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All you need is the media creation tool and your drive. If you visit the same page with a browser that's not reporting as running on Windows you'll also be able to download the iso instead.

You can prepare and install even before buying a key.


F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

 

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

 

GPD Win 2

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kilrah said:

All you need is the media creation tool and your drive. If you visit the same page with a browser that's not reporting as running on Windows you'll also be able to download the iso instead.

You can prepare and install even before buying a key.

Yep, or you can run the MCT and tell it to download an ISO instead of creating a USB drive.


Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure but it takes longer since it downloads the whole stuff and then packs it into an ISO locally, and more importantly unless it's recently changed it then keeps the installation files in a hidden folder in addition to the ISO you made, using up 5 gigs or so... if you want the ISO it's much more straightforward to just change the browser agent, there must be pages explaining how to somewhere.


F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

 

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

 

GPD Win 2

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Not quite. You can either download the Media Creation Tool or an ISO, the ISO will need "flashing" to the USB drive before you can boot from it (something like RUFUS can do that), the MCT will handle the process of downloading Windows and creating the USB installer in such a way as it will be bootable and it does it all seamlessly. Either way you need a working computer to create the installer, MCT is Windows only, macOS & Linux both have ways of doing it too but neither is as simple as Microsoft's own solution.

 

What does this even mean?

 

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

All you need is the media creation tool and your drive. If you visit the same page with a browser that's not reporting as running on Windows you'll also be able to download the iso instead.

You can prepare and install even before buying a key.

So replying to both of you kind of here:

 

I will most likely just download the MCT and use my USB drive then. In this case, I don't need to do any flashing correct? I can just select to bootable drive and put it on the USB. After that I will be able to install Windows, but unactivated of course. After this I can just buy a key then? 

 

Can I just buy the key from the Microsoft Website or how do they handle that? Do I just get a key provided to me then upon purchase in the store?

 

Thanks again so much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Insert your flash drive (it will be formatted)

2) Run MCT

3) Select Create a USB Installer

4) Select the drive from the list (make you choose the correct drive)

5) Click OK and wait for it to finish

6) Insert USB into your new PC

7) Power up and mash boot menu key

8 ) Select the USB from the list and hit Enter

9) Follow the installation Wizard through as normal

10) When asked choose "I Don't Have A Key" and select the Windows version you want from the list

 

After this is finished your PC will have Windows installed, now you can buy a key from where ever you choose and activate Windows with it.


Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

1) Insert your flash drive (it will be formatted)

2) Run MCT

3) Select Create a USB Installer

4) Select the drive from the list (make you choose the correct drive)

5) Click OK and wait for it to finish

6) Insert USB into your new PC

7) Power up and mash boot menu key

8 ) Select the USB from the list and hit Enter

9) Follow the installation Wizard through as normal

10) When asked choose "I Don't Have A Key" and select the Windows version you want from the list

 

After this is finished your PC will have Windows installed, now you can buy a key from where ever you choose and activate Windows with it.

Thanks a ton you've been a huge help! I'll do this then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×