New build is 99% done (who can spot the error?)

Go to solution Solved by DarkEnergy,

The case fan in the back is facing the wrong direction?

Oh man this build has been an interesting ride. Starting out as a simple GPU upgrade to my old prebuilt i7 6700 hp envy to this but I am 99% done. I just need to get 16gb more ram and a different case but as is its good enough that I will finally show it off. Who can spot the error in this photo (there might be more than 1 but I only know of one pretty bad one) It has been fixed and I will post a photo of it on and fixed in the comments if anyone wants. 

Also I did use an ESD strap since I was floor building on carpet

EDIT: P.S. This PC is sitting on cardboard on the floor until I move in a month or so, please don't hate me for that. 

20200603_191724.jpg

20200603_193909.jpg

10 hours ago, x9x9x9x9x9 said:

Oh man this build has been an interesting ride. Starting out as a simple GPU upgrade to my old prebuilt i7 6700 hp envy to this but I am 99% done. I just need to get 16gb more ram and a different case but as is its good enough that I will finally show it off. Who can spot the error in this photo (there might be more than 1 but I only know of one pretty bad one) It has been fixed and I will post a photo of it on and fixed in the comments if anyone wants. 

Also I did use an ESD strap since I was floor building on carpet

EDIT: P.S. This PC is sitting on cardboard on the floor until I move in a month or so, please don't hate me for that. 

20200603_191724.jpg

20200603_193909.jpg

Is the SSD mounted in the back? 

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

MOBO: Asus P8Z68 LE

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2133mhz ddr3 2x8 16GB

GPU: GTX 980 TI 150+ core, 100-150 ( I forgot )+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

CASE: Phanteks P350X

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

Laptop: Gateway P-7805u FX 

CPU: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2c/2t

RAM: 8GB DDR2 1066mhz sodimm 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm hard drive 2.5"

SSD: Kingston A400 250GB SSD

SCREEN: Glossy 16:9 1440x900

PERIPHERALSLogitech G Pro

The case fan in the back is facing the wrong direction?

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Things that I notice:  

-fans.  One front,one rear, and Rear  is bigger (not specifically an error) both are either facing in or out though (I can’t remember which way the sticker is supposed to point)  either way it’s an issue though. 

-a whole lot of cooler for a small cpu (not specifically an error)

-a whole lot of PSU for a single gpu system (not specifically an error)

-a whole bunch of black cabling I can’t follow 

-possible cooler memory impingement (I cant tell)

Edited by Bombastinator
Clarity improved

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Errors to choose from:

• Choosing a horrible motherboard
  • PSU unnecessarily high
  • Monitor with poor PPI
31 minutes ago, MS-DOS Guy said:

Is the SSD mounted in the back? 

You don't need to quote the entire OP....

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Errors to choose from:

• PSU unnecessarily high
  • Monitor with poor PPI

Motherboard may suck (I got no clue) but presence of the fan says x570 and afaik there aren’t any x570s that can’t handle a 3600.  Bad buy maybe but will still work.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Things that I notice:  

-fans.  One front,one rear, and Rear  is bigger (not specifically an error) both are either facing in or out though (I can’t remember which way the sticker is supposed to point)  either way it’s an issue though. 

-a whole lot of cooler for a small cpu (not specifically an error)

-a whole lot of PSU for a single gpu system (not specifically an error)

-a whole bunch of black cabling I can’t follow 

-possible cooler memory impingement (I cant tell)

The PSU was what I could find. I figured it doesn't hurt to get larger for future upgrades same with the mobo
The extra fan on the cooler was a just because I had it type thing. I had bought the 92mm for a 3d printer upgrade a while back but ended up needing a 60mm
The fan is close to the memory but not touching
The cabling sucks because this case sucks for cable management 

A lot of this build was what I could find in stock. Also I am kinda proud of it for being the first computer I have built since they had IDE cables in them.

3 minutes ago, x9x9x9x9x9 said:

The PSU was what I could find. I figured it doesn't hurt to get larger for future upgrades same with the mobo
The extra fan on the cooler was a just because I had it type thing. I had bought the 92mm for a 3d printer upgrade a while back but ended up needing a 60mm
The fan is close to the memory but not touching
The cabling sucks because this case sucks for cable management 

A lot of this build was what I could find in stock. Also I am kinda proud of it for being the first computer I have built since they had IDE cables in them.

For what it is worth the fan thing could work ok though it may make for dust issues.  If front and rear both blow in it will be over pressure without dust filtration on the back.  air will to a large degree go out through the pcie slots which could help the gpu.  The cpu doesn’t need any help.  If both blow out its under pressure and the air will come in through the pcie slots with the same effect.

39 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

For what it is worth the fan thing could work ok though it may make for dust issues.  If front and rear both blow in it will be over pressure without dust filtration on the back.  air will to a large degree go out through the pcie slots which could help the gpu.  The cpu doesn’t need any help.  If both blow out its under pressure and the air will come in through the pcie slots with the same effect.

I reversed it already. If the back fan had a dust cover I might feel better about leaving it but I already have the case set up with positive pressure and I think that might be overdoing it if I left the back that way.Oh the other reason for the second CPU fan is I question my thermal paste application and since I will be doing cpu heavy tasks with 3d modeling extra cooling can't hurt.

40 minutes ago, x9x9x9x9x9 said:

I reversed it already. If the back fan had a dust cover I might feel better about leaving it but I already have the case set up with positive pressure and I think that might be overdoing it if I left the back that way.Oh the other reason for the second CPU fan is I question my thermal paste application and since I will be doing cpu heavy tasks with 3d modeling extra cooling can't hurt.

If your paste job is bad a second fan won’t help nearly enough.  Second fans can be helpful for noise because they can reduce the work the main fan has to do a little, which can be enough to make a difference.  Perhaps try it both ways once you have it running.

34 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If your paste job is bad a second fan won’t help nearly enough.  Second fans can be helpful for noise because they can reduce the work the main fan has to do a little, which can be enough to make a difference.  Perhaps try it both ways once you have it running.

I had it running with one fan and was seeing highs of about 85 then added the second and now the highs under load are about 80. I know I got the center of the ihs covered it was more the edges that I was concerned about just to be clear. I used to be someone who would over apply thermal paste but for this build decided to cut way back as I have learned more isn't better and it will be less of a mess to clean up if/when I pick up an aio.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Errors to choose from:

• PSU unnecessarily high
  • Monitor with poor PPI

What's wrong with that Mobo?

The PSU is what I could find in stock and I figured if I want to go to a ryzen 9 later on it will be fine.

As for the monitor again it was what I could find at a decent price for a large monitor with a high refresh rate and response time. I live in a tiny 1 bedroom condo at the moment and use the monitor as a tv plus I wanted to try a curved display since I've never used one before. On top of that I am blind as hell do 1080p is fine for me and ppi is something I can notice but I don't care that much.

What would you change here for the same budget?

Mind you a few of the things I already had on hand like the drives and fans.

2 hours ago, x9x9x9x9x9 said:

I had it running with one fan and was seeing highs of about 85 then added the second and now the highs under load are about 80. I know I got the center of the ihs covered it was more the edges that I was concerned about just to be clear. I used to be someone who would over apply thermal paste but for this build decided to cut way back as I have learned more isn't better and it will be less of a mess to clean up if/when I pick up an aio.

That’s more change than there should be. Perhaps it is helping collect air because of the airflow in the cooler.  In any case it seems to help.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s more change than there should be. Perhaps it is helping collect air because of the airflow in the cooler.  In any case it seems to help.

Should I remove the cooler and redo the thermal paste? I thought that seemed pretty drastic of a change but since the system was ran for maybe 3 hours with the single fan, powered down, second fan put on and the cooling tower being jiggled a bit. I wonder if I didn't have good contact from the start. I guess I could remove the second fan just to see.