How does a 75hz FreeSync Monitor behave with a GPU that can deliver +120FPS?

LordWk
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

Depends on your settings. 

The monitor will act like a normal 75Hz monitor if you're pushing 76FPS+, FreeSync will do nothing. If FPS drops below 75FPS, FreeSync will kick back in. 

Whether your GPU caps itself to 75FPS or activates VSync is entirely dependant on your GPU's settings, not the monitor. 

If I activate FreeSync with a 75Hz monitor but my GPU can deliver higher framerates, the GPU will drop down to 75FPS or the monitor will disable freesync until the game takes a dip below 75FPS ?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

Depends on your settings. 

The monitor will act like a normal 75Hz monitor if you're pushing 76FPS+, FreeSync will do nothing. If FPS drops below 75FPS, FreeSync will kick back in. 

Whether your GPU caps itself to 75FPS or activates VSync is entirely dependant on your GPU's settings, not the monitor. 

1 hour ago, LordWk said:

If I activate FreeSync with a 75Hz monitor but my GPU can deliver higher framerates, the GPU will drop down to 75FPS or the monitor will disable freesync until the game takes a dip below 75FPS ?

You can just enable enhanced sync when if you stay above your monitor's refresh rate to low latency a bit.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?