How to select perfect PSU

baeni
Go to solution Solved by Zando_,
4 hours ago, baeni said:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/HgkfZf

// Edit: I placed the B450-F Gaming there as the B550-F Gaming is not available yet but I'll get the B550 instead of the B450.

Aight so that CPU, even with PBO on, seems to cap out around 81W:

3600PBO.png.3eabc7a2ec0e814854c8c7a3a1374726.png

And the 2060 Founder's Edition caps at 166W:

2060FE.png.ba55b9ef24287aa52d51f923f149aa43.png

An AIB card with a higher power target can pull more than this, but probably won't go over 200W or so. Meaning around 281W for CPU + GPU, add in 100W for just comfortable overhead and that's 380W. On a 450W PSU you'd still have 70W free for the chipset (I do know X570 can pull a bit, IDK how hungry B550 will be) + fans/drives/whatever else you add. So the 350-450W power various sites quote you is correct. You can snag a quality 450W unit and be fine (under gaming load you'll pull far, far less), or just get a standard 550W and have plenty of room for hungrier hardware in future.

Hej y'all!

I'm currently struggling with choosing the perfect PSU for my planned setup. I've checked out some PSU Wattage Calculator-pages such as this, this, or the one at pcpartpicker.com

The result for my parts are always between 350 and 450 wattage. I'm absolutely confused because that sounds really tight to me. Also at the first calculator page gave me a result of 437w and recommended me a 850w PSU?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

baeni

3 minutes ago, baeni said:

Also at the first calculator page gave me a result of 437w and recommended me a 850w PSU?

Don't bother with PSU calculators. They guess wattage at best and recommend expensive PSU's because they get  a kickback for you buying stuff.

I would follow the CPU power + GPU power + 100W formula and pick a quality unit (from the tier list linked in that thread too).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

57 minutes ago, minibois said:

Don't bother with PSU calculators. They guess wattage at best and recommend expensive PSU's because they get  a kickback for you buying stuff.

I would follow the CPU power + GPU power + 100W formula and pick a quality unit (from the tier list linked in that thread too).

That guide doesn't seem to be mentioning PBO on the TR chips, which slaps them from a docile near-TDP chip to gulping down 600W (the 32c ones at least, 500-600W depending on gen). And 2080 Tis can consume 370W with ease, leading to a worst case power consumption (full stress on both CPU and GPU) of 970W for CPU and GPU alone, vs the 653W estimated on that thread. 

If you actually want accurate numbers, track down the sources yourself, usually Tom's Hardware has power numbers for a given component. They usually report the actual hardware power draw as well, not full system power, so it's a more accurate number. I believe Anandtech does power numbers as well, but usually full system power from what I've seen of their stuff. 

@baeni What hardware are you looking at getting? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 6/3/2020 at 1:51 PM, baeni said:

Hej y'all!

I'm currently struggling with choosing the perfect PSU for my planned setup. I've checked out some PSU Wattage Calculator-pages such as this, this, or the one at pcpartpicker.com

The result for my parts are always between 350 and 450 wattage. I'm absolutely confused because that sounds really tight to me. Also at the first calculator page gave me a result of 437w and recommended me a 850w PSU?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

baeni

If pcpartpicker says your system is going to pull 450 watts I would get a 650 psu. I mean a lot of power supply’s today the difference between 550 to 650 is 10-15 dollars and that’s just not worth not having the window for future upgrades, hell I have a 850 for a 2080 and a 3700x, nvidia recommended a 650 watt but the difference between the 650 and 850 was 25 bucks and I liked having headroom because I plan on either getting the 3080 ti or the big Navi and I’m unsure what the power recommendations on the big Navi is going to be so 25 bucks for ease of mind just made sense to me.

11 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

I think you'll be fine with a decent 600w~650w PSU, what's your budget for the PSU?

I'd say between 60-90€

12 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

@baeni What hardware are you looking at getting? 

// Edit: I placed the B450-F Gaming there as the B550-F Gaming is not available yet but I'll get the B550 instead of the B450.

4 hours ago, baeni said:

Aight so that CPU, even with PBO on, seems to cap out around 81W:

3600PBO.png.3eabc7a2ec0e814854c8c7a3a1374726.png

And the 2060 Founder's Edition caps at 166W:

2060FE.png.ba55b9ef24287aa52d51f923f149aa43.png

An AIB card with a higher power target can pull more than this, but probably won't go over 200W or so. Meaning around 281W for CPU + GPU, add in 100W for just comfortable overhead and that's 380W. On a 450W PSU you'd still have 70W free for the chipset (I do know X570 can pull a bit, IDK how hungry B550 will be) + fans/drives/whatever else you add. So the 350-450W power various sites quote you is correct. You can snag a quality 450W unit and be fine (under gaming load you'll pull far, far less), or just get a standard 550W and have plenty of room for hungrier hardware in future.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

18 minutes ago, baeni said:

Thanks @Zando Bob and @InfinityVive! I'll then go with a 500w PSU but wait a few weeks/month for the price being dropped.

I suggest you go with a CX 650M, since it is one of the only reasonably priced PSUs at the moment. ( it's a really good PSU too) 

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

1 hour ago, InfinityVive said:

wait, hold on, not any PSU will be suitable, some PSUs may not be safe and go bang while in use, so what PSU are you going with?

I would have gone with the be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500w

1 hour ago, Void Master said:

I suggest you go with a CX 650M, since it is one of the only reasonably priced PSUs at the moment. ( it's a really good PSU too) 

Seems good aswell. be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500w vs Corsair CX 650M. I think 650w would be good for the future if I want to upgrade or OC some parts but idk.

2 minutes ago, baeni said:

Seems good aswell. be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500w vs Corsair CX 650M. I think 650w would be good for the future if I want to upgrade or OC some parts but idk.

Go for the CX 650M (grey label), it's well known for being a good PSU.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Just now, baeni said:

I just checked it, it's the grey label model.

Thus it's the correct one.