Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baeni

How to select perfect PSU

4 hours ago, baeni said:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/HgkfZf

// Edit: I placed the B450-F Gaming there as the B550-F Gaming is not available yet but I'll get the B550 instead of the B450.

Aight so that CPU, even with PBO on, seems to cap out around 81W:

3600PBO.png.3eabc7a2ec0e814854c8c7a3a1374726.png

And the 2060 Founder's Edition caps at 166W:

2060FE.png.ba55b9ef24287aa52d51f923f149aa43.png

An AIB card with a higher power target can pull more than this, but probably won't go over 200W or so. Meaning around 281W for CPU + GPU, add in 100W for just comfortable overhead and that's 380W. On a 450W PSU you'd still have 70W free for the chipset (I do know X570 can pull a bit, IDK how hungry B550 will be) + fans/drives/whatever else you add. So the 350-450W power various sites quote you is correct. You can snag a quality 450W unit and be fine (under gaming load you'll pull far, far less), or just get a standard 550W and have plenty of room for hungrier hardware in future.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hej y'all!

 

I'm currently struggling with choosing the perfect PSU for my planned setup. I've checked out some PSU Wattage Calculator-pages such as this, this, or the one at pcpartpicker.com

The result for my parts are always between 350 and 450 wattage. I'm absolutely confused because that sounds really tight to me. Also at the first calculator page gave me a result of 437w and recommended me a 850w PSU?

 

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

baeni

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, baeni said:

Also at the first calculator page gave me a result of 437w and recommended me a 850w PSU?

Don't bother with PSU calculators. They guess wattage at best and recommend expensive PSU's because they get  a kickback for you buying stuff.

I would follow the CPU power + GPU power + 100W formula and pick a quality unit (from the tier list linked in that thread too).


"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, minibois said:

Don't bother with PSU calculators. They guess wattage at best and recommend expensive PSU's because they get  a kickback for you buying stuff.

I would follow the CPU power + GPU power + 100W formula and pick a quality unit (from the tier list linked in that thread too).

I would say the CPU power + GPU power + 200w formula

 

because the OP might upgrade to more power hungry PC Parts later

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, minibois said:

Don't bother with PSU calculators. They guess wattage at best and recommend expensive PSU's because they get  a kickback for you buying stuff.

I would follow the CPU power + GPU power + 100W formula and pick a quality unit (from the tier list linked in that thread too).

That guide doesn't seem to be mentioning PBO on the TR chips, which slaps them from a docile near-TDP chip to gulping down 600W (the 32c ones at least, 500-600W depending on gen). And 2080 Tis can consume 370W with ease, leading to a worst case power consumption (full stress on both CPU and GPU) of 970W for CPU and GPU alone, vs the 653W estimated on that thread. 

If you actually want accurate numbers, track down the sources yourself, usually Tom's Hardware has power numbers for a given component. They usually report the actual hardware power draw as well, not full system power, so it's a more accurate number. I believe Anandtech does power numbers as well, but usually full system power from what I've seen of their stuff. 

 

@baeni What hardware are you looking at getting? 

 

 


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

 

Big Rig (Archived) - (Current Main) - i7 6950X @ 4.2/3.5 1.24v/1.2v core/uncore - 80C max under P95 load - Custom Loop (CPU only): 2x 360GTS with EK-ZMT/Stubbies and EK D5 pump/res combo - EVGA X99 Classified - 48GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 + 4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo + 250GB 960 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG - 6x iPPC NF-F12 2000 
 

X79 Rig (Done) - (Alt Rig 1)- i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz - EVGA CLC 280 w/NF-P14s fans - EVGA X79 Dark - 16GBGB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600Mhz CL9 XMP - EVGA XC Ultra 1660 Ti - MX500 1TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB - EVGA 1000W G3 w/CableMod PRO Carbon cables - Phanteks P400 (White) - NF-P12

 

X58 Rig (Mostly Done) - (Alt Rig 2) - Xeon X5675 @ 4.4/3.7 core/uncore- NH-D15S - EVGA X58 Classified SLI 4-Way - 24GB (3x8GB) HyperX Savage Red DDR3 @ 1750Mhz CL9-10-10-27 - 2x EVGA Classified 780s - 120GB HyperX SSD - ASUS or Liteon DVD-RW drive, forget which - EVGA 1600W T2 - Corsair 750D - 5x iPPC NF-A14 3000 PWM

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/525GB) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox - iPhone X - iPhone 4S on iOS 6.1.3

 

whip and nae nae

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 1:51 PM, baeni said:

Hej y'all!

 

I'm currently struggling with choosing the perfect PSU for my planned setup. I've checked out some PSU Wattage Calculator-pages such as this, this, or the one at pcpartpicker.com

The result for my parts are always between 350 and 450 wattage. I'm absolutely confused because that sounds really tight to me. Also at the first calculator page gave me a result of 437w and recommended me a 850w PSU?

 

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

baeni

If pcpartpicker says your system is going to pull 450 watts I would get a 650 psu. I mean a lot of power supply’s today the difference between 550 to 650 is 10-15 dollars and that’s just not worth not having the window for future upgrades, hell I have a 850 for a 2080 and a 3700x, nvidia recommended a 650 watt but the difference between the 650 and 850 was 25 bucks and I liked having headroom because I plan on either getting the 3080 ti or the big Navi and I’m unsure what the power recommendations on the big Navi is going to be so 25 bucks for ease of mind just made sense to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

I think you'll be fine with a decent 600w~650w PSU, what's your budget for the PSU?

I'd say between 60-90€

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer
4 hours ago, baeni said:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/HgkfZf

// Edit: I placed the B450-F Gaming there as the B550-F Gaming is not available yet but I'll get the B550 instead of the B450.

Aight so that CPU, even with PBO on, seems to cap out around 81W:

3600PBO.png.3eabc7a2ec0e814854c8c7a3a1374726.png

And the 2060 Founder's Edition caps at 166W:

2060FE.png.ba55b9ef24287aa52d51f923f149aa43.png

An AIB card with a higher power target can pull more than this, but probably won't go over 200W or so. Meaning around 281W for CPU + GPU, add in 100W for just comfortable overhead and that's 380W. On a 450W PSU you'd still have 70W free for the chipset (I do know X570 can pull a bit, IDK how hungry B550 will be) + fans/drives/whatever else you add. So the 350-450W power various sites quote you is correct. You can snag a quality 450W unit and be fine (under gaming load you'll pull far, far less), or just get a standard 550W and have plenty of room for hungrier hardware in future.


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

 

Big Rig (Archived) - (Current Main) - i7 6950X @ 4.2/3.5 1.24v/1.2v core/uncore - 80C max under P95 load - Custom Loop (CPU only): 2x 360GTS with EK-ZMT/Stubbies and EK D5 pump/res combo - EVGA X99 Classified - 48GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 + 4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo + 250GB 960 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG - 6x iPPC NF-F12 2000 
 

X79 Rig (Done) - (Alt Rig 1)- i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz - EVGA CLC 280 w/NF-P14s fans - EVGA X79 Dark - 16GBGB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600Mhz CL9 XMP - EVGA XC Ultra 1660 Ti - MX500 1TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB - EVGA 1000W G3 w/CableMod PRO Carbon cables - Phanteks P400 (White) - NF-P12

 

X58 Rig (Mostly Done) - (Alt Rig 2) - Xeon X5675 @ 4.4/3.7 core/uncore- NH-D15S - EVGA X58 Classified SLI 4-Way - 24GB (3x8GB) HyperX Savage Red DDR3 @ 1750Mhz CL9-10-10-27 - 2x EVGA Classified 780s - 120GB HyperX SSD - ASUS or Liteon DVD-RW drive, forget which - EVGA 1600W T2 - Corsair 750D - 5x iPPC NF-A14 3000 PWM

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/525GB) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox - iPhone X - iPhone 4S on iOS 6.1.3

 

whip and nae nae

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, baeni said:

I'd say between 60-90€

Sadly most decent PSUs are out of stock or spiked up in price in the recent weeks due to corona virus, I'd recommend you to wait if you want to get the most out of your money

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, baeni said:

Thanks @Zando Bob and @InfinityVive! I'll then go with a 500w PSU but wait a few weeks/month for the price being dropped.

wait, hold on, not any PSU will be suitable, some PSUs may not be safe and go bang while in use, so what PSU are you going with?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, baeni said:

Thanks @Zando Bob and @InfinityVive! I'll then go with a 500w PSU but wait a few weeks/month for the price being dropped.

I suggest you go with a CX 650M, since it is one of the only reasonably priced PSUs at the moment. ( it's a really good PSU too) 


Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

 

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, InfinityVive said:

wait, hold on, not any PSU will be suitable, some PSUs may not be safe and go bang while in use, so what PSU are you going with?

I would have gone with the be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500w

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Void Master said:

I suggest you go with a CX 650M, since it is one of the only reasonably priced PSUs at the moment. ( it's a really good PSU too) 

Seems good aswell. be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500w vs Corsair CX 650M. I think 650w would be good for the future if I want to upgrade or OC some parts but idk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, baeni said:

Seems good aswell. be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500w vs Corsair CX 650M. I think 650w would be good for the future if I want to upgrade or OC some parts but idk.

Go for the CX 650M (grey label), it's well known for being a good PSU.


Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

 

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, baeni said:

I just checked it, it's the grey label model.

Thus it's the correct one. 


Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

 

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×