is it ok to get a 60gb ssd

VenomRaptor17
Go to solution Solved by VenomRaptor17,
2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

60 GB is not enough for Windows 10 .. every time there's gonna be a few windows updates, the process will use at least 5-10 GB of free disk space to complete, so you'll always have to keep at least 5-10 GB of free disk space, otherwise Windows will not work right ... you will experience hiccups like randomly mouse pausing for half a second, or applications taking a few seconds to start and so on

SSDs also use the free unused space to spread data across various flash memory cells and reduce wear and tear of the memory cells, so it's always best to have at least around 5-10%  (so for a 60 GB drive, that would be at least around 3-6 GB) unused to reduce the wear out of the cheap SSD.

A 60GB SSD will have a lifetime write counter of around 40-50 TB ... if you use it almost full all the time, the maximum amount will probably go down to around 30-40 TB.

So after you install Windows on the SSD, you'll only have around 20-30 GB of disk space you could actually use for games or applications ... and these days, that's not enough for a big game that would benefit from using SSDs.

so get at least a 120 GB SSD.

If you want more performance (faster WIndows startup, launching programs faster) install Windows on the SSD.

thx man ill take ur advice 

what SSD ?

I would say no. you would have faster storage but besides the OS only little space

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

2 minutes ago, VenomRaptor17 said:

i desperately need one.....so this is the cheapest option

What's ur budget since 60gb is way to little, for a boot drive only for like 1 console game or some work files

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

What do you plan to do with it? If it's purely, I mean literally only, a boot drive, then yes, that could work. But if you're looking to put anymore stuff in it, you won't really have any more space for bigger files.

Just now, VenomRaptor17 said:

I'd say 120GB is BARE minimum..(64GB will be chaos with windows update, as it may get your files deleted)

A 120GB SSD is like 20$

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

I would say even a 120GB is too small. A 240GB is about £5 more than a 120GB and about £10 more than a 60GB and is well worth it!

CPU: i7 6700

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133 MHZ

Storage: 2TB Crucial SATA SSD + 2TB WD BLUE

20 minutes ago, VenomRaptor17 said:

What is your location and budget so we can advice what options you have ?

At least grab a 120GB SSD

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Unless you stick with Windows 7 (still a perfectly fine choice for an older pc), you should go with at least 120 GB, ideally 240 GB.

120 GB is absolute minimum for Windows ... SSDs with less than 120 GB will basically use bottom of the barrel flash memory chips and will use 1 or 2 flash channels instead of all 4 or 8 the ssd controller supports... so it's like single stick of ram vs using 2 memory sticks in dual channel mode ... the more "channels" the ssd used, the higher the speeds and IOPS... a 60 GB ssd will have shitty speeds and also shitty endurance

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

54 minutes ago, VenomRaptor17 said:

@Drama Lama @sub68 @Kanna @Electronic Wizardry @lenardmgtr @Void Master @Charlie Groves i am using it for boot drive and ALSO IS IT BETTER IF I BOOT THE PC IN A SEA GATE HARD DRIVE AND KEEP THE 60 FOR GAMES OR STRAIGHT GO FOR A 120 GIG

40 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

What is your location and budget so we can advice what options you have ?

At least grab a 120GB SSD

AROUND 30 BUCKS AND I AM IN SRI LANKA I THINK UVE NEVER HEARD ABT IT HERE

4 minutes ago, VenomRaptor17 said:

GO FOR A 120 GIG

This.

Do u already have the hard drive or will you buy one ? 

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

60 GB is not enough for Windows 10 .. every time there's gonna be a few windows updates, the process will use at least 5-10 GB of free disk space to complete, so you'll always have to keep at least 5-10 GB of free disk space, otherwise Windows will not work right ... you will experience hiccups like randomly mouse pausing for half a second, or applications taking a few seconds to start and so on

SSDs also use the free unused space to spread data across various flash memory cells and reduce wear and tear of the memory cells, so it's always best to have at least around 5-10%  (so for a 60 GB drive, that would be at least around 3-6 GB) unused to reduce the wear out of the cheap SSD.

A 60GB SSD will have a lifetime write counter of around 40-50 TB ... if you use it almost full all the time, the maximum amount will probably go down to around 30-40 TB.

So after you install Windows on the SSD, you'll only have around 20-30 GB of disk space you could actually use for games or applications ... and these days, that's not enough for a big game that would benefit from using SSDs.

If you want more performance (faster WIndows startup, launching programs faster) install Windows on the SSD.

4 minutes ago, Void Master said:

This.

Do u already have the hard drive or will you buy one ? 

i got the hard but its too slow to start up

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

thx man ill take ur advice 

13 hours ago, VenomRaptor17 said:

AROUND 30 BUCKS AND I AM IN SRI LANKA I THINK UVE NEVER HEARD ABT IT HERE

I’ve heard of Sri Lanka ! PRL mostly comes from there or used to! 

but if you can grab a 120GB SSD

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD