Wifi going offline multiple times a day

PunchyTurtle

As stated in the title, I am having issues with wifi. Whenever the internet cuts out, the upstream light blinks. Any suggestions? My ISP is not being helpful.

29 minutes ago, PunchbagTurtle said:

As stated in the title, I am having issues with wifi. Whenever the internet cuts out, the upstream light blinks. Any suggestions? My ISP is not being helpful.

What ISP do you have?

The blinking up stream light could suggest that your router is losing connection.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Unplug your modem for 10 seconds (to discharge the capacitors) then plug it back in. Solves a lot of problems.

Have you checked whether or not you completely lose connection to the Internet from your home or if it's just the Wi-Fi having trouble? You can check this by having a device plugged in with wire, and see if it loses connection to the Internet at the same time your other device does.

53 minutes ago, PunchbagTurtle said:

This could happen due to several causes:

1. The modem/Router might be dying. 

2. Problem with the cable running from the ISP to your house.(degradation)

3. ISP issues (aka overloaded network, or infrastructure problems) 

But seriously a good ISP should assist you in such situations :D .

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

1 hour ago, PunchbagTurtle said:

Is it a cable or a dsl modem? What you're describing sounds like it's retraining (to a lower speed) due to what is likely noise on the line (eg FM radio or such) 

Another possibility is the actual modem having a watchdog process telling it to reboot (eg for a firmware update) and it's not being unset afterwords.

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Is it a cable or a dsl modem? What you're describing sounds like it's retraining (to a lower speed) due to what is likely noise on the line (eg FM radio or such) 

Another possibility is the actual modem having a watchdog process telling it to reboot (eg for a firmware update) and it's not being unset afterwords.

It's a cable modem. I'm not sure about the watchdog process thing but it's possible

Just now, PunchbagTurtle said:

It's a cable modem. I'm not sure about the watchdog process thing but it's possible

get a timer and time how long it takes between drops. if it's exactly the same every time, it's a process. If it's time-of-day, it's probably interference somewhere.

28 minutes ago, Void Master said:

This could happen due to several causes:

1. The modem/Router might be dying. 

2. Problem with the cable running from the ISP to your house.(degradation)

3. ISP issues (aka overloaded network, or infrastructure problems) 

But seriously a good ISP should assist you in such situations :D .

I was thinking the cable degradation could be part of it. The ISP's check them supposedly though? The overloaded network could be an issue and modem could be dying as well. Router isn't dying since I just got a new one though

Just now, Kisai said:

get a timer and time how long it takes between drops. if it's exactly the same every time, it's a process. If it's time-of-day, it's probably interference somewhere.

I can rule out the time of day thing, since it happens totally randomly, but I'm not sure about the amount of time. I'll try and test it

5 minutes ago, PunchbagTurtle said:

I was thinking the cable degradation could be part of it. The ISP's check them supposedly though? The overloaded network could be an issue and modem could be dying as well. Router isn't dying since I just got a new one though

Tell your ISP to check on the cables.... most probably it's the issue.

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !