Need graphics cards recommendations specifically for VR. using oculus link

NOOB ACE

Hello all! I am new here but i will jump right into it. I purchased a OCULUS QUEST and have the official/fiber optic USB C 3.1 from OCULUS as well. (speed of 90 hz)

i mostly flight sim using DCS in VR so here is my issue.

I currently have a MSI GTX 1660TI and am mildly overclocking it to get better frames as DCS is very graphic dependent. as of now i am okay with the performance of the 1660TI as i am new to DCS and flight sims. once i am in the fray so to speak of requiring the best possible graphics performance, i will require a graphics card upgrade which leads me to the problem. NVIDIA GTX GEFORCE founders edition cards have a USB C 3.1 GEN slot directly on the back connections plate and according to them its for the future (and current oculus link) VR graphics solutions as (again according to them) the VR headset will be recognized as a monitor and prioritize graphics performance to the VR headset for the best newest strategies as opposed to the current offerings (either USB C to the MOBO or USB 3.0 on MOBO).

So my dilemma is, my transfer rate to the oculus quest only at 90 HZ and that is the fastest for it. but i do not need a 2080 or a 2080TI for my gaming needs and do not think i would be getting the fullest experience due to the refresh rate. so i had decided that a 2070 would do the trick and looked up MSI's offerings and found that NONE of their 2070 (not crazy liquid cooled that cost in the thousands) have a USB C 3.1 gen connection port. and the NVIDIA GTX 2070 SUPER's that do. Are all sold out and cannot be found brand new at the moment i would imagine due to the price point of 400 dollars.

SO THE QUESTION OF THE DAY IS 2 FOLD.

1=Given the nature and limitation of oculus quest link connection, should i even be concerned about the advantages of direct connection from NVIDIA from a 2080TI taht cost as much as a car down payement or would the 2070 do the trick as price point is much better at 400 bones? 

2=In the case that my simulation requirements will require a better headset and once i have it, should this direct connection be sought after this will also affect my decision for future purchasing. 

I barely scraped up on the functionality of integrated graphics through motherboards and how it works and i know there is some limitations, but i do not fully understand how in my case my graphics card is able to perform its task through the motherboard port? and maybe that is why NVIDIA is offering the USB C connection for faster transfer rates? i would like to know as this would also help in determining my next purchase.

I would just hate to spend 400-700 bones on a graphics card and not get the most out of it for the next 5-7 years or if something mind blowing in VR comes along before then.

I am very sorry for the long winded post guys and i greatly appreciate your responses and guidance 

Just to add a small tid bit here, i think an episode on youtube explaining how all this works in a "graphics card/VR headset combination performance" video would be awesome and help others that run into these questions as i do. As VR is growing i can imagine there are more interested in these questions than one would think. 

6 minutes ago, NOOB ACE said:

how in my case my graphics card is able to perform its task through the motherboard port? and maybe that is why NVIDIA is offering the USB C

The USB C port on the GPU is a "VR Port," designed specifically for VR headsets. It is not a USB port, and it can deliver video, data, and 75 to 100 watts of power. It also doesn't have anything to do with the motherboard.

Holy great wall of text batman, but you didn't even mention your CPU, hopefully it's not a weak point for your system. You don't want to upgrade your GPU if your CPU is what's really struggling.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Quest is 72Hz, not 90.

Quest does not work as a monitor so you will not gain anything by using the port on the GPU. There are currently no headset specifically made to connect to that port, no one knows if it's actually going to be made use of in the future.

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The USB C port on the GPU is a "VR Port," designed specifically for VR headsets.

It's actually a perfectly standard USB-C port like you'd find on laptops, just with more power delivery capability.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Fasauceome, i am running a AMD 3600x 6 core 3.8hz 4.4 max boost ryzen 5 processor 

Kilrah i was messing around with the oculus debug tool and found the screen overlay to display refresh rate of 90HZ???  is it wrong? maybe it is just a bug. i also found it in the lost frame rate counter while recording.

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It's actually a perfectly standard USB-C port like you'd find on laptops, just with more power delivery capability.

Standard USB C doesn't deliver video though

Here is the spec according to wikipedia

In VirtualLink mode there are six high-speed lanes active in the USB-C connector and cable: 4 lanes transmit four DisplayPort HBR 3 video streams from the PC to the headset while two lanes implement bidirectional USB 3.1 Gen 2 channel between the PC and the headset. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, NOOB ACE said:

Fasauceome, i am running a AMD 3600x 6 core 3.8hz 4.4 max boost ryzen 5 processor 

Kilrah i was messing around with the oculus debug tool and found the screen overlay to display refresh rate of 90HZ???  is it wrong? maybe it is just a bug. i also found it in the lost frame rate counter while recording.

You have to quote us so that we can see your responses.

That is a good CPU for vr, fortunately.

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Here is the spec according to wikipedia

That's what almost every laptop USB-C port does, DP alt mode is very standard. That's what the countless non-TB3 USB-C docks with an HDMI out use.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Standard USB C doesn't deliver video though

Here is the spec according to the wiki

Just now, Kilrah said:

That's what almost every laptop USB-C port does, DP alt mode is very standard. 

so because USB C technology is not truly up to par with HDMI DVI video pathways, there is no real advantage to using the C-port on the graphics cards? 

and both of your recomendations are to, as of right now and current technology, just go with a --- GTX card?

what card would that be for the 72HZ rate i am using right now and what would be for the best USB 3.0 PC VR headset currently available in pure performance number based scenario?

That's not what we said, DP over USB-C works just fine. The DP from the USB-C connector is however useless for the quest since it's not designed to be able to take that signal anyway.

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

That's not what we said, DP over USB-C works just fine. The DP from the USB-C connector is however useless for the quest since it's not designed to be able to take that signal anyway.

sorry for the misunderstanding i am pretty new to this. with the 72hz rate the oculus has and not being able to use thew DP protocol, what graphics card would you expect to give the best performance now, and for the future of VR at a price point under 1k what card would you recommend and also what high end card would you recommend for the best use of the graphics capabilities of the cards?

My edit might have been too late, so here it is as a new post.

I have a 1070 on one machine and a 2080S on another and a quest, the 1070 is fine for some games but with others I have to turn down the graphics settings quite a bit to a point where it's pretty ugly and the 2080S obviously does a lot better.

I mostly use my quest wirelessly with Virtual Desktop though, used Link for a while but VD works so well the difference is barely noticeable, and no wires is awesome.

I'd recommend the best GPU you can get, knowing the 2080Ti is probably a bit overkill given the cost increase to performance increase from a 2080S is pretty high.

F@H

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

My edit might have been too late, so here it is as a new post.

I have a 1070 on one machine and a 2080S on another and a quest, the 1070 is fine for some games but with others I have to turn down the graphics settings quite a bit to a point where it's pretty ugly and the 2080S obviously does a lot better.

I mostly use my quest wirelessly with Virtual Desktop though, used Link for a while but VD works so well the difference is barely noticeable, and no wires is awesome.

I'd recommend the best GPU you can get, knowing the 2080Ti is probably a bit overkill given the cost increase to performance increase from a 2080S is pretty high.

Thank you for your words of wisdom and your knowledge. i have heard of VD but have not dove into it yet i will give it a try.