Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
5GigaaHertz

Has anyone used Home or Air con radiators for water cooling?

Posted · Original PosterOP

because why not? I would like to see some do that. (i know Linus already did this but I want to see a sucessful attempt unlike LTT did)

8 hours ago, 5NibbaHertz said:

-snip-

I have used automotive and aerospace radiators for water cooling. Its a way bigger hassle as the properties are not as well defined as they are for computer hardware. There is a lot more engineering that goes into a loop.

It sounds like you are interested so to prime the discussions and ideas, i would suggest going out there and attempting to build something with those components.

Hi! If you ever need some structural, mechanical or electrical design/build help on your new rig, send me a PM and ill try and help you out!

Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, kkpatel87 said:

I have used automotive and aerospace radiators for water cooling. Its a way bigger hassle as the properties are not as well defined as they are for computer hardware. There is a lot more engineering that goes into a loop.

It sounds like you are interested so to prime the discussions and ideas, i would suggest going out there and attempting to build something with those components.

I am definitely curious and interested but i am young and broke so i dont have time, skills, and money to do that smh.

Yes.  Air to water heat exchanger is the term.  I use a 20x20 one for my whole house loop with a box fan.  I just built a second one a couple weeks ago to try with a garden hose, but unfortunately my ground water is too warm.

They're $150 or so and you need another $20 worth of fittings to adapt to NPT.  And the ability to do plumbing soldering.

Workstation: 9900KF @ 5.0Ghz || ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate || Gigabyte 1080Ti || G.Skill DDR4-3800 @ 3600 4x8GB || Corsair AX1500i || 11 gallon whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 8600K@ 4.9Ghz || Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 9  || EVGA Titan X (Maxwell) || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad push only.

Server Router (Untangle): 8350K @ 4.7Ghz || ASRock Z370 ITX || 2x8GB || PicoPSU 250W, running on AX1200i from Server Storage || CPU watercooled, 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Server VM/Plex/HTTPS: E5-2699v4 (22 core!) || Asus X99m WS || GT 630 || Corsair RM650x || CPU watercooled, 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Server Storage: Pent. G3220 || Z87 Gryphon mATX || || LSI 9280i + Adaptec + Intel Expander || 4x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 3x8TB Seagate Archive Backup, Corsair AX1200i (drives) Corsair RM450 (machine) || CPU watercooled, 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G3 (Intel 8350U).

20 hours ago, kkpatel87 said:

Aerospace radiators are less engineered than pc mass produced rads? And their properties are less defined? Really? Come on,thats complete b.s.

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Aerospace radiators are less engineered than pc mass produced rads? And their properties are less defined? Really? Come on,thats complete b.s.

Sorry, i misspoke. I meant that the properties are much less public. By that, i mean public availability of specification sheets, drawings, type design, etc. They are definitely engineered to a higher standard, its their properties are less visible publicly. 

Hi! If you ever need some structural, mechanical or electrical design/build help on your new rig, send me a PM and ill try and help you out!