2 games at once.

Hesper

Good day!

I have a Ryzen 5 2600, Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super OC, 16GB (2x8 2933Mhz) RAM - overclocked ram from 2666Mhz to 2933Mhz stable. and 2 monitors.

I was wondering if I could run GTA Online on windowed mode at 800x600 resolution (afk for bunker) and running another game like Dota 2/Starcraft 2 on the main monitor at 1080p.

New to this kind of stuff so no hate please.

Thanks!

I mean, yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

I mean, yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Won't the PC lag? or rather I'll never know unless I try. Thanks!

Yes you can do that, but it WILL Impact performance, no matter how low you turn GTA5 as ist still a 3D application. Idk why you would want to do that but it should work. Just try and see what happens 😅

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Hesper said:

Won't the PC lag? or rather I'll never know unless I try. Thanks!

Yeah obviously the best way to check it is to try it out yourself.

Dota 2 and Starcraft 2 don't sound particularly demanding, so I don't think having GTA open as well will be that detrimental to your performance. Running GTA at 800x600 and framecapping it should result in a pretty low load on the GPU, and the CPU should have no problem. 

Don't know about RAM usage though, as I'm not really aware of how much memory Dota or Starcraft take up. Taking into account other stuff that might be open in the background, my guess would be that your 16GB of memory could be the only limiting factor here, but I could be overestimating how much RAM those games will take up.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

39 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Yes you can do that, but it WILL Impact performance, no matter how low you turn GTA5 as ist still a 3D application. Idk why you would want to do that but it should work. Just try and see what happens 😅

I wanted my bunker in gta 5 to run while i do other things so I thought of the idea of running 2 games at once but I don't know if that's bad. LOL

35 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Don't know about RAM usage though, as I'm not really aware of how much memory Dota or Starcraft take up. Taking into account other stuff that might be open in the background, my guess would be that your 16GB of memory could be the only limiting factor here, but I could be overestimating how much RAM those games will take up.

RAM usage with GTA 5, 3 tabs in Firefox is more or less 8GB according to task manager.

I just tried Diablo 3, RAM usage is around 10GB. Guess I can move on to Starcraft 2 or Dota 2