Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfernalClaw

Different PSU cable?

Posted · Original PosterOP

i have a Corsair TX650M psu that i just got 2 weeks ago and when i connected it i  connected it using the power cable of my older psu thinking its ok but 1 day later my pc bluescreened and in event viewer the error was "kernelpower" so i decided to actually use the cable that came with psu and since then it has been fine. am i just lucky or is the psu cable actually what fixed this problem because when my pc bluescreened i wasnt putting any load on the pc.

You're not supposed to do that, luckily you haven't fried up anything. Just use the cables that come with your PSU and you're good.

19 minutes ago, Promosss said:

You're not supposed to do that, luckily you haven't fried up anything. Just use the cables that come with your PSU and you're good.

Have never experienced problems using different cables i always check the voltage if it is the same i just plug it in and go (Only if it is a direct cable)

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

19 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Have never experienced problems using different cables i always check the voltage if it is the same i just plug it in and go (Only if it is a direct cable)

I mean if you really know what you're doing, then you should be fine. But the average user shouldn't mix and match power cables from different PSUs. Different PSU has a different voltages and power deliveries. The average user doesn't understand it, and can potentially fry their system.

Just now, Promosss said:

I mean if you really know what you're doing, then you should be fine. But the average user shouldn't mix and match power cables from different PSUs. Different PSU has a different voltages and power deliveries. The average user doesn't understand it, and can potentially fry their system.

Yeah usually easiest for me is reusing PC power cables since those are often the same 

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Greg Salazar / Science Studio (a tech youtube chanel) killed a few system doing the same thing - using the wrong cables. That was a few years back.

1 hour ago, InfernalClaw said:

connected it using the power cable of my older psu 

Wait, i'm an idiot, i thought the OP meant that he's reusing sata/pcie cables from old PSUs. But still, the point stands, just use everything that come with the box and there should be no problem.