Ancient harddrive (1998) recovery possible?

neolithic3

Hi guys,

I have a hard drive (Just the hard drive itself, the PC has long since been discarded) that is from a computer I purchased in 1998 (yes, you read that right). I really need to get a few small files from this hard drive - a handful of photos with a lot of sentimental value to me. The trouble is that I am sure the technology and connections have changed multiple times in the past 15ish years and I don't know how, or even IF, I can somehow hook up this old harddrive to a current PC in order to transfer the files. I am really kicking myself for not doing this long ago and procrastinating on it.

Can anyone offer some insight? Is it possible? Is there some way to hook it up externally so I don't have to start messing around inside my new PC (I am scared I will foul it up and ruin my brand new computer)?

I took some photos of the hard drive if that helps anyone provide suggestions.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I really want to get these old files back!

post-56395-0-07854600-1393288403_thumb.jpost-56395-0-58353400-1393288409_thumb.jpost-56395-0-09894000-1393288427_thumb.jpost-56395-0-86230600-1393288442_thumb.j

You could possibly get a IDE to Sata conversion and use it in a newer pc :D

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

Vantec NexStar3 inclocsure is IDE>USB2 and cost $14 $40 here in Canada. I have one for a 380GB IDE drive still kicking it. Works like a dream.

EDIT: lol that was the sale price at MemEx

Edited by Panda689

You could buy one of those external USB hard drive cases that takes an IDE hard drive. (Without a hard drive already in it, obviously.)

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RX35-AT-IU-BLK-Aluminum-Enclosure/dp/B004BU6ITW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1393289165&sr=8-7&keywords=ide+usb+hard+drive+enclosure+3.5

You should be able to stick that HDD in it and plug it into your computer and get the files. Or you could just borrow an older computer with an IDE connector on the motherboard and get the files off the HDD with that.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Vantec NexStar3 inclocsure is IDE>USB2 and cost $14 here in Canada. I have one for a 380GB IDE drive still kicking it. Works like a dream.

You could possibly get a IDE to Sata conversion and use it in a newer pc :D

Thanks a lot for the fast replies. I am a bit of a computer noob ( despite having owned them for quite a number of years haha) is that old hard drive I have the IDE type? If so, how do I tell that?

The Vantec enclosure you mention, is that something I attach to my old hard drive and literally just plug it into a USB port of my new PC and then my PC will read the old hard drive just like it was a device attached to the PC, like a thumb drive etc.?

Also, if you don't feel like booting that drive with the old os you could always use a linux live cd and pull the files off the drive that way.

Well I had a couple of maxtor hard drives back in 2003 and since then maxtor were bought by seagate. You could take it to a data recovery place but that could be expensive.You could always try and contact seagate but I'm not sure if they would help you. You could try this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPqdFnb340A

Thanks a lot for the fast replies. I am a bit of a computer noob ( despite having owned them for quite a number of years haha) is that old hard drive I have the IDE type? If so, how do I tell that?

The Vantec enclosure you mention, is that something I attach to my old hard drive and literally just plug it into a USB port of my new PC and then my PC will read the old hard drive just like it was a device attached to the PC, like a thumb drive etc.?

It's a IDE drive (google hard drive interface for a diagram of a bunch different types). The NexStar3 is just a container for the HDD that will allow you plug it in to a USB2, and yes it will look like any other storage medium when plugged in.

Well I had a couple of maxtor hard drives back in 2003 and since then maxtor were bought by seagate. You could take it to a data recovery place but that could be expensive.You could always try and contact seagate but I'm not sure if they would help you. You could try this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPqdFnb340A

wut. Why would you do that? No one said it wasn't working. Just plug the darn thing in.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

You can tell it's an IDE hard disk drive by its interface. We can see that it has ~40 pins in 20 x 2 configuration in its connector, which is the IDE connector.

Hi guys,

I have a hard drive (Just the hard drive itself, the PC has long since been discarded) that is from a computer I purchased in 1998 (yes, you read that right). I really need to get a few small files from this hard drive - a handful of photos with a lot of sentimental value to me. The trouble is that I am sure the technology and connections have changed multiple times in the past 15ish years and I don't know how, or even IF, I can somehow hook up this old harddrive to a current PC in order to transfer the files. I am really kicking myself for not doing this long ago and procrastinating on it.

What PC do you currently use right now? If you have a PC that's over 5 years old, it may have an IDE port already. If you have a custom built PC, state which motherboard it uses.

wut. Why would you do that? No one said it wasn't working. Just plug the darn thing in.

I wrote that because just in case he got the appropriate adapter and the drive didn't work then he could try my suggestions.

You can tell it's an IDE hard disk drive by its interface. We can see that it has ~40 pins in 20 x 2 configuration in its connector, which is the IDE connector.

What PC do you currently use right now? If you have a PC that's over 5 years old, it may have an IDE port already. If you have a custom built PC, state which motherboard it uses.

Current PC has an ASUS Z87 motherboard

It's a IDE drive (google hard drive interface for a diagram of a bunch different types). The NexStar3 is just a container for the HDD that will allow you plug it in to a USB2, and yes it will look like any other storage medium when plugged in.

Great, thanks very much!

I looked at the NCIX website, since the store is closeby and found this http://products.ncix.com/detail/vantec-2-5-3-5-5-25-sata-ide-6b-36790.htm

Hopefully it will work. Thanks a lot, everyone who replied. It's great to have a place to get good/helpful feedback from people that are more knowleagable about these things than myself.

Hey guys,

I bought this item today http://www.ncix.com/search/?q=36790-1253

I bought it and brought it home to try. The guy at the shop seemed to think it wouldnt work for my old IDE harddrive but I was determined to try anyway. I read reviews and people said it worked for their old drives of a similar age. Plus I can use it for other things in the future.

I just gave it a try and it will read a 10 year old SATA drive, but nothing happens when I try it on my 1998 IDE drive. I dont even hear the drive spinning. Does this just mean the drive is toast and I am out of luck? :(

Hey guys,

I bought this item today http://www.ncix.com/search/?q=36790-1253

I bought it and brought it home to try. The guy at the shop seemed to think it wouldnt work for my old IDE harddrive but I was determined to try anyway. I read reviews and people said it worked for their old drives of a similar age. Plus I can use it for other things in the future.

I just gave it a try and it will read a 10 year old SATA drive, but nothing happens when I try it on my 1998 IDE drive. I dont even hear the drive spinning. Does this just mean the drive is toast and I am out of luck? :(

If it won't even spin up, there may be a problem in its power delivery. Since it contains sentimental content, I suggest you take it to a professional storage recovery serviceman and recover as much content from the disk as you can. Just because the PCB doesn't work, doesn't mean the HDD is not salvageable.

Even my X58 board still has an IDE port, so just find a C2D machine or older and plug it in, it should work just fine. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

If it won't even spin up, there may be a problem in its power delivery. Since it contains sentimental content, I suggest you take it to a professional storage recovery serviceman and recover as much content from the disk as you can. Just because the PCB doesn't work, doesn't mean the HDD is not salvageable.

Okay, thanks Target.

Get an IDE to Sata conversion for your PC or get a IDE external hard drive enclosure.

I had a drive like that laying around, was newer though, I think 2003 or so - had a ribbon cable laying around still and there's a port on my PC too - I just plugged it in, put a molex cable on it and booted up my computer - it showed up as a drive and I just copied the stuff over.

It's really not something to worry about, unless you dropped it in which case you should be careful of course.

It's really only a matter of plugging it in and copying the files (which is slow as it's super old)

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Get an IDE to Sata conversion for your PC or get a IDE external hard drive enclosure.

I did that. It didnt work.

I use this. The SATA power cable is a piece (doesn't have the orange wire, which nearly every SATA device needs nowadays). but for IDE drives it works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-HD-HDD-Adapter-Cable-/180550148600?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item2a09a0a1f8

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)