Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swftre

Will a single 4 pin connector from my PSU to an 8 pin connector on my motherboard power my CPU properly?

Posted · Original PosterOP

My new motherboard is a Gigabyte A320M-S2H V2 which came with a Ryzen 3 3200G. I noticed that the motherboard has an 8 pin power connector for the CPU and the PSU that I currently use only has 1 4 pin. Since the processor only has a 65w TDP, is it alright for me to use the single 4 pin until I can get a PSU upgrade?

hard to recommend using a power supply with only 4 pins, but it will work.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It should work good enough, my Taichi has a similar thing except its an 8 pin + 4 pin and my psu only has an 8 pin, it works, just can’t extreme overclock.

Quote me or @TwilightRavens if you want me to see your reply.

"Former team Radeon fanboy, current Nvidia shill (unpaid) because they just work. Yet my favorite GPU of all time that I've ever owned was my R9 290X, even though it took 5 years of driver updates to make it perform correctly, by which time it was a completely useless card. Ran it at 1230MHz/1750MHz on the core and memory respectively for 4 of those years and it still works to this day... drivers pending."

"People freak out over CPU degradation too much these days, I ran my i7-3770K at 5.6GHz 1.67v for 3 years under water cooling and the only thing that happened was that I found out ASUS is overpriced garbage, that alone should prove silicon is more durable than you think it is."

"In 2007 I dropped AMD for Intel because AMD started to suck, in 2020 I dropped Intel for AMD because Intel started to suck."

Main Gaming PC

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core processor || AsRock X570 Taichi || G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3800MHz 2 x 16GB (16-16-16-16-32) 1T + Tuned secondaries 1.452v || Corsair Hydro H100i v2 || Phanteks Enthoo Pro E-ATX || MSI GTX 1080 ti Armor OC (2.1GHz/12004MHz) & MSI GT 1030 LP OC (GDDR5) || Samsung 970 Evo 250GB NVME SSD & Crucial M500 960GB SATA III SSD (cache drive for StoreMI) & Seagate IronWolf NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD || EVGA Supernova 750W Platinum PQ || Windows 10 Pro 1909 x64 || Sceptre 27” VA 1080p 144hz curved & Acer 21.5” 1080p 75hz IPS || Logitech G213 Prodigy || Logitech G502 Hero

It's ok to use only the 4 pin ... the 4pin connector is good for around 200 watts. Your 3200g will consume at most 80-100 watts when gaming, and overclocked.

The 8 pin connector just raises the maximum power that can be given to cpu to around 350w, but your cpu doesn't use that much.