Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
namarino

4 pin RGB Pump to 3 pin RGB controller

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi everyone. Wasn't sure where exactly to put this so sorry if it's in the wrong place. I have a res with 4 pin rgb cable and an rgb controller with only 3 pin rgb headers on it. Obviously the res's rgb didn't work when I plugged it in to the controller. Is there anything I can do to make this work? I didn't know anything about rgb when I planned this. Thanks for the help! 

sorry no, i got it mixed up this takes a 4 pin in. I can't find anything that works the other way. What is your motherboard's make/model? you may already have a way to power it. also what's the make/model or the rgb controller?

Posted · Original PosterOP
8 hours ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

sorry no, i got it mixed up this takes a 4 pin in. I can't find anything that works the other way. What is your motherboard's make/model? you may already have a way to power it. also what's the make/model or the rgb controller?

Unfortunately my mobo is a z97 board and doesn't have any rgb headers. I bought the EK loop connect controller. 

3-Pin is DRGB, it's addressable with 5V current (pinout is usually +5V / D / GND). 4-Pin isn't digitally addressable, it sports 12V (pinout is usually +12V / G-GND / R-GND / B-GND). Both systems are not compatible. You can try and find an adaptor that puts out an analog 4-pin RGB signal and has its own power connector. That's your only chance. Something like this should work: https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-Convertor-Transfer-Motherboard-Products/dp/B07QPYSC82

@bowrilla I linked the same adapter, its listing/product name is very poorly worded. It actually takes a 4 pin analogue signal from the MB and turns it into a 3 pin digital one. OP wants to go the other way, 3 pin > 4 pin.

@namarino Sorry for the late reply. I had another look around, i cant find a suitable converter, its just not something many people would need. The only other option is another controller, if you just want it to light up a cheap sata powered contoller should work. If you want software control it will have to be a more expensive usb connected controller like your EK one.

cheap option. I know it comes with a strip you prob don't need/want but for $5 shipped it doesn't really matter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-RGB-LED-Strip-Light-for-pc-case-Remote-Control-Computer-Case-Adhesive-tape/293007979458

USB controlled

https://store.coolermaster.com/apac/rgb-led-controller

3 hours ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

@bowrilla I linked the same adapter, its listing/product name is very poorly worded. It actually takes a 4 pin analogue signal from the MB and turns it into a 3 pin digital one. OP wants to go the other way, 3 pin > 4 pin.

Oh, didn't follow your link to be honest. Deepcool or amazon messed up than because it clearly is misleading in that case.

I'm surprised there isn't a hub for this because it's not that hard to acchieve. Would be a nice microcontroler electronics project.