Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zeusthemoose

What to do with old computers

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi there,

I have 3 really old desktops (core 2 duo and ddr1 and 2 ram) and an old laptop (vista or xp days). I want to do something with them as right now they are just sitting in a closet. Does anyone know of something I could do with them for free or basically free? 

Thanks for any suggestions!

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Is there anything you would like to do? Finding a cause for a problem is difficult. You could install different kinds of Linux and learn more about using it.

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Is there anything you would like to do?

I want to do something that I can experiment with the software or hardware. it most likely won’t be something I actually use.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

25 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I want to do something that I can experiment with the software or hardware. it most likely won’t be something I actually use.

You could learn a little linux, install some kind of linux, setup a simple web server, etc. Might spur your interest into something that becomes useful later on.

Throw Ubuntu netinstall on there, "sudo python -m SimpleHTTPServer <port number eg. 170>", port forward that thing and you should have a easy way to show simple html pages and have a download server. If you don't switch directories it will be a server broadcasting from your home folder.

I've been a Linux addict since October of 2018.

Quote me if you want me to get a notification.

I love old hardware. I take it and hug it and squeeze it and love it and seal it and smother it with dielectrical grease and pat it on the head and slap a dice pot on it and sqeeze it some more and drop dice in the pot and make it cold and happy and benchmark the shit out of it. 

But that's me. I hate tossing old hardware too. 

Lid-less PGA 2700x / ROG B450-I Gaming / Corsair 3000mhz SK Hynix / RTX 2060 / EVGA 750w

Lid-less 8700K / Maximus X Hero / G.Skill 4266mhz B-Die / RTX 2060 / Antec 1000w CP series

Ryzen Athlon 220ge with Vega Graphics / Asus Prime B450M-A / Corsair LED 3000mhz / 550w Antec Office PC.

DFI LanParty UT / Opteron 148 / DDR Corsair XMS Expert / X1800 XT 256MB Bios modded

Asus CrossHair Formula IV / Phenom II x4 B97 / Dominator GT 2000mhz. / EVGA GTX 770

Do as others have suggested, maybe do a little overclocking/benchmarking......  I'm sure they woudn't mind whatever you decide to do with them.