Images in Quotes / Long posts

Dujith

I would like to have images in quotes be automatically be reduced to just a link or expandable icon.

I realize its down to the person quoting to snip out those pics, but that just doesnt happen very often.

Same deal with long posts as noted here: 

That suggested solution would also work.

You can highlight certain words in order to quote just those words. 

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

2 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

You can highlight certain words in order to quote just those words. 

You can, but most people just hit the quote button to quote the whole post instead of part of it. I’m not sure how much work it would take to implement this, but I think a lot of people would appreciate a feature like this.

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

You can, but most people just hit the quote button to quote the whole post instead of part of it.

I feel like most people don't know about it. Maybe Ltt should make a video😉

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

This will be improved in the next forum update, which I currently estimate to be rolled out here in August ±1 month (but that is dependent on a lot of things and very much subject to change).

HTTP/2 203

3 hours ago, Jae Tee said:

quote just those words

I know :P But whole post quotes happen quite often :S 

And specially with images it gets annoying.

17 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

This will be improved in the next forum update, which I currently estimate to be rolled out here in August ±1 month (but that is dependent on a lot of things and very much subject to change).

Goodie, any chance for a sneak peak on possible improvements? 

8 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Goodie, any chance for a sneak peak on possible improvements? 

I will run a beta at some point before rolling it out, but at the moment I don't have access to the code for it so all I have is the feature announcements and public alpha that IPS are running, as well as some features that I've been working on which will be rolled out with that update.

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

I will run a beta at some point before rolling it out, but at the moment I don't have access to the code for it so all I have is the feature announcements and public alpha that IPS are running, as well as some features that I've been working on which will be rolled out with that update.

Ah, i meant the notes. Not a beta or something. I'm one of those weirdos who read release notes / patch notes :S 

11 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Ah, i meant the notes. Not a beta or something. I'm one of those weirdos who read release notes / patch notes :S 

That will definitely need to wait until closer to the actual release. There are quite a few changes in this update, but most of the changes will have little or no impact on most people. If you're really curious, you can see the features that have been announced at https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/, but the real benefits here will be the small quality of life improvements (like limiting the height of quotes).

HTTP/2 203

@colonel_mortis since we're already talking about shortening images, I'd like to take the opportunity to ask if long quotes can/will be shortened with a future forum update, as asked in this thread: 

Thanks.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

@colonel_mortis since we're already talking about shortening images, I'd like to take the opportunity to ask if long quotes can/will be shortened with a future forum update, as asked in this thread: 

Thanks.

That's what I alluded to earlier in what will be changing in the forum update.

image.png

HTTP/2 203

33 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Other forums have the guidance to not use full quotes and just quote the meaningful part if necessary at all which is enforced by mods so user follow those guidance proactively.

The problem is that many new users don't bother following forum rules or conventions, and this is where the problem arises from.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

3 hours ago, James Evens said:

Other forums have the guidance to not use full quotes and just quote the meaningful part if necessary at all which is enforced by mods so user follow those guidance proactively.

There's also something called internet etiquette. But it seems something that has lost its meaning from late-90s/early-00s to now. It was something taught in schools along with how to utilize internet.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, James Evens said:

Enforcing post presentation is something that would require significant resources (time) from the moderation team. All forum moderators are volunteers and the time we do spend on the forum is better spent on more important issues.

How quotes are displayed will be changed in the upcoming forum update which should address this issue.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, James Evens said:

@Spotty Not so much. It is more like mod comes along the thread and fixes it.

One point is true: those aren't related to a YouTube channel so less user with just 1-2 post.

Still, that would require mods to check every thread made or rather every post made. We don't currently do that. We rely on community reporting posts with some issues. So the amount of work would increase immensely.

There are browser addons which force certain styles of fonts and stuff like that. There's also way to utilize adblockers for quotes. If you really don't like the way forum looks now.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv