Laptop force booting into BIOS after SSD swap

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with a laptop that I got as a gift, it had a HDD in it already (1TB 5400rpm) and I wanted to put my SSD that I had on the side just to make it a bit better for office, yt and stuff.

I installed the SSD, and as I turn it on, it goes immediately into BIOS. I check it the SSD is recognised an it is. Try to see if I can setup the boot configuration but it's disabled. Okay, let's try saving the settings and reboot, but I again get force boot into BIOS. I don't even see the POST screen, nor I can see the display where it says press F2 to enter BIOS. Tried clearing the CMOS, formatting the SSD (already had the OS on the SSD, formatted the SSD on my PC) but have the same problem. Tried putting the original HDD in to the laptop an it works just fine.

I don't know what else to do with the SSD, do you guys have any info please?

The laptop is Asus X550C with the Pentium 2117U cpu and 4GB DDR3.

Thank you very much!

Lol.

It could be that the laptop's bios is legacy (instead of UEFI), and that the SSDs OS is UEFI, which means it wouldn't work. If you try to use a USB drive or a DVD to install Windows, does that get you anywhere?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

12 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

It could be that the laptop's bios is legacy (instead of UEFI), and that the SSDs OS is UEFI, which means it wouldn't work. If you try to use a USB drive or a DVD to install Windows, does that get you anywhere?

Any decent bios should have a setting to configure the way it boots. Have you had a look around in it?

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

22 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Well the OS on the HDD was Win10 so I thought that it was setup correctly. Then when I plugged in the SSD I had the issue. The HDD was set up as AHCI, and I'm sure that when I was setting up the SSD on the PC it was AHCI as well. Either way, plugged in the USB with the OS installation, and now it's installing windows on the SSD. Let's see if it will boot from the SSD!

9 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Any decent bios should have a setting to configure the way it boots. Have you had a look around in it?

I have the option in the BIOS, but can't access it. I don't know why. :/

Lol.

9 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

That's true, but sometimes you have other hardware that doesn't immediately support one or the other (I've had that happen with my GPU recently). :)

1 minute ago, Dumica said:

Well the OS on the HDD was Win10 so I thought that it was setup correctly. Then when I plugged in the SSD I had the issue. The HDD was set up as AHCI, and I'm sure that when I was setting up the SSD on the PC it was AHCI as well. Either way, plugged in the USB with the OS installation, and now it's installing windows on the SSD. 

That's a good sign. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

4 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

That's true, but sometimes you have other hardware that doesn't immediately support one or the other (I've had that happen with my GPU recently). :)

That's a good sign. :)

It's working! Booting into the SSD without a problem now! Thank you very much!

Lol.

10 minutes ago, Dumica said:

It's working! Booting into the SSD without a problem now! Thank you very much!

Great, happy to hear that! I'm curious, is it on UEFI or legacy mode? You can check that by following the (easy) steps from this link: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85195-check-if-windows-10-using-uefi-legacy-bios.html Just following "option 1" is fine. :)

On 6/1/2020 at 6:18 PM, TomvanWijnen said:

Great, happy to hear that! I'm curious, is it on UEFI or legacy mode? You can check that by following the (easy) steps from this link: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85195-check-if-windows-10-using-uefi-legacy-bios.html Just following "option 1" is fine. :)

Sorry, was not on my laptop before.

Just checked it and it is on UEFI mode. :) 

Lol.

15 hours ago, Dumica said:

Sorry, was not on my laptop before.

Just checked it and it is on UEFI mode. :) 

It is on UEFI?! Then I don't know what the issue was, but that's great! :) (UEFI is "better")

8 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

It is on UEFI?! Then I don't know what the issue was, but that's great! :) (UEFI is "better")

Yeah, it's weird, but, at least it works and that's all it matters for me. 😅

Lol.