Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baeni

Will my current PSU be able to power my planned build?

If you got a GPU that’s gud’nuff I’d say holding till probably Black Friday is wise.

 

looking at the PcPartPicker list I’d say you’ve got a real good chance of it holding up.  970s aren’t power hogs and neither are 3600s

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hej y'all!

 

I am currently planning a build which was already discussed here. As my budget is pretty tight, I want to keep some parts of my current system temporarily while already using the parts (which u can see in the link below) until I've saved up a bit more. I'd then buy a new PSU & GPU. My question is, if my current PSU will be able to power my planned build without causing any problems or even damaging some parts(?).

 

!Please notice that I am aware of having a huge GPU bottleneck with this setup but the GPU is part of my current setup & I'd upgrade that one asap as well as the PSU!

 

This would be my temporary build: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jvmwf9. My current PSU is the following: "FSP Group FSP550-80GHN(85) 550w"

As u've may noticed, the partpicker does not include a Motherboard. Thats because Im waiting for the B550 chip to be released. I'll then probably go with the B550-F Gaming or the B550 TUF.

 

Again, to prevent any unnecessary replies: I just want to know, if my current PSU (FSP Group FSP550-80GHN(85) 550w) will handle my planned setup (https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jvmwf9).

 

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

baeni

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer

If you got a GPU that’s gud’nuff I’d say holding till probably Black Friday is wise.

 

looking at the PcPartPicker list I’d say you’ve got a real good chance of it holding up.  970s aren’t power hogs and neither are 3600s


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

If you got a GPU that’s gud’nuff I’d say holding till probably Black Friday is wise.

That was actually the plan, thanks!

Well also u said that the 3600s are no "power hogs". I hope u just meant that it doesn't need that much power to perform well. Or was that meant as "thats not a good cpu so the PSU will probably handle that easily"?🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, baeni said:

That was actually the plan, thanks!

Well also u said that the 3600s are no "power hogs". I hope u just meant that it doesn't need that much power to perform well. Or was that meant as "thats not a good cpu so the PSU will probably handle that easily"?🙄

The 3600x is a 65w chip for reals whereas the 3700x is more like low 80’s even though it says 65w. So pretty low power for a cpu.  Don’t overclock it but that does little good anyway.  With that and the 970 you won’t be pushing that 550w PSU hard at all.  I’d say your chances are good.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@Bombastinator Well okay, perfect.
This is obviously the wrong sub-forum but I'd love to know your opinion about the 3600. Will it perform good with a gtx 2080 (Considering this as the gpu for me in the future)? If so, do u think that's a good combo when it comes to gaming? Talkin' about games like GTA V, Battlefield etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, baeni said:

@Bombastinator Well okay, perfect.
This is obviously the wrong sub-forum but I'd love to know your opinion about the 3600. Will it perform good with a gtx 2080 (Considering this as the gpu for me in the future)? If so, do u think that's a good combo when it comes to gaming? Talkin' about games like GTA V, Battlefield etc.

As a general rule unless you’re doing esports games any cpu that will handle a game reasonably well will push a “1080 class” gpu fine.  I’m in a minority here who is suspicious of 6/12 for very long term.  I suspect if one wants a cpu to last as long as the upcoming crop of consoles is out an 8/16 may be needed.  The virus has made me less sure of that though.   Global recession might make some game makers more willing to allow their stuff to run on weaker hardware.  The other end of that one is storage for the consoles is still black box and it may require four lanes of clean pcie and a sufficiently fast nvme just to work.  Z390 and b450 won’t do that while holding 16lanes of Pcie open for the gpu.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

As a general rule unless you’re doing esports games any cpu that will handle a game reasonably well will push a “1080 class” gpu fine.  I’m in a minority here who is suspicious of 6/12 for very long term.  I suspect if one wants a cpu to last as long as the upcoming crop of consoles is out an 8/16 may be needed.  The virus has made me less sure of that though.   Global recession might make some game makers more willing to allow their stuff to run on weaker hardware.

Okay, thanks for ur help!🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×