Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
QuadDamage

Would it be safe to use my 1080ti in a brand new build?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

The reason as to why I am asking is because I have encountered a few problems with this card. One of my PCs suffered a power surge with this card in, so I switched it to my other PC. It still runs fine, but I'm wondering could this card be cause damage to another PC eventually as it was in a pc that surged. It also runs incredibily hot, it idles at around 60c and then in games it goes up to 85 - 90c. I've tried everything possible to make it cooler but nothing works. I don't really want to buy a new card, because apart from the heating issues, it's still a solid card and if I bought something like a 2070 super, it would be expensive and wouldn't be a significant upgrade. If this sounds stupid, I apologise, I have a very basic understanding of computer hardware as the most advanced thing I have done is build a PC haha.

 

*the surge didn't cause the heating problems, that has always been a problem with this card.

Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, you're fine. Have you tried replacing the thermal paste on the GPU? that might help.


FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, QuadDamage said:

The reason as to why I am asking is because I have encountered a few problems with this card. One of my PCs suffered a power surge with this card in, so I switched it to my other PC. It still runs fine, but I'm wondering could this card be cause damage to another PC eventually as it was in a pc that surged. It also runs incredibily hot, it idles at around 60c and then in games it goes up to 85 - 90c. I've tried everything possible to make it cooler but nothing works. I don't really want to buy a new card, because apart from the heating issues, it's still a solid card and if I bought something like a 2070 super, it would be expensive and wouldn't be a significant upgrade. If this sounds stupid, I apologise, I have a very basic understanding of computer hardware as the most advanced thing I have done is build a PC haha.

 

*the surge didn't cause the heating problems, that has always been a problem with this card.

you have gotta check out the heating. the max temp is acceptable, but 60c idle is a lil wack.

 

i mean, do you know explicitly that the GPU caused the surge? could it have been anything else?

 

running hot wont affect the other components afaik, and aside from the surge then your GPU is good i would say.


stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

 

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

 

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, igormp said:

yes, you're fine. Have you tried replacing the thermal paste on the GPU? that might help.

Yes, I have tried replacing the thermal paste. It fixed some overheating problems, but the temps are still high.

 

11 minutes ago, ketchupspill said:

you have gotta check out the heating. the max temp is acceptable, but 60c idle is a lil wack.

 

i mean, do you know explicitly that the GPU caused the surge? could it have been anything else?

 

running hot wont affect the other components afaik, and aside from the surge then your GPU is good i would say.

No, the GPU didn't cause the surge, I think it was the power supply in my other rig, it was given to me by a friend and it was a shitty psu. I just checked the temps for idle it's around 45 - 50 now, which is ok I guess. But when I run furmark, the GPU goes straight up to 90 within a 30 seconds and I'm assuming if I left it on any longer it would crash.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ketchupspill said:

 

i mean, do you know explicitly that the GPU caused the surge? could it have been anything else?

OP didn’t say the card caused the surge, just that the card was in the pc when a surge occurred.

 

@QuadDamage You should be fine to use the card in the new build, but I would try to fix the heating issue as 60C at idle is higher than normal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

OP didn’t say the card caused the surge, just that the card was in the pc when a surge occurred.

 

@QuadDamage You should be fine to use the card in the new build, but I would try to fix the heating issue as 60C at idle is higher than normal.

I just checked the temps now, it's running at around 46 - 50c last time I checked it was running at around 60 but that was awhile ago, could have been due to the heat outside. But this GPU does run incredibily hot anyways.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, QuadDamage said:

Yes, I have tried replacing the thermal paste. It fixed some overheating problems, but the temps are still high.

 

No, the GPU didn't cause the surge, I think it was the power supply in my other rig, it was given to me by a friend and it was a shitty psu. I just checked the temps for idle it's around 45 - 50 now, which is ok I guess. But when I run furmark, the GPU goes straight up to 90 within a 30 seconds and I'm assuming if I left it on any longer it would crash.

yes, then your gpu should run just fine, jsut a little hot.


stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

 

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

 

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QuadDamage said:

But when I run furmark, the GPU goes straight up to 90 within a 30 seconds and I'm assuming if I left it on any longer it would crash.

It shouldn't crash, but just throttle its clocks down to keep the temps in a reasonable range. Some cards just have shitty coolers and there isn't much to do other than undervolting or replacing the cooling solution. My 2060S hits 84~86º under load and I just ignore it since it won't die or anything like that.


FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sell it on Ebay as 'Pre-owned' sold as seen and mention it gets a little hot. - Or pawn to a pre-owned PC parts retail shop.

 

Then use the money + a bit of savings (when you can afford to) and upgrade.


CPU: De-lidded i7 8086K @ OC 5.1 GHz

CPU Fan: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING ICX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED / RGB 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MHz

Storage (OS): Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe SSD

Storage (Games): Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

Storage (Other): Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD

PSU: Corsair HX850i (Platinum)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F ATX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Gunmetal

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG258Q

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×