Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eong

Should I use the PSU?

43 minutes ago, Eong said:

Why the doubt?

I can check the serial number against when he registered it and confirm it.

Because it costs almost as much to repair a PSU (outside of China) than it does to build a new one (in China).

Even if it's just a fan swap, you're obligated to聽safety certification bodies to do at least Hi-Pot testing.聽 Typically a "refurbished" PSU is just a return that's been tested and deemed resell-able.

9 minutes ago, Eong said:

@jonnyGURU

It's not the same.

If it's not labeled as a refurbished unit, it's probably a brand new PSU.

Posted Original PosterOP

Hey 馃憢

A friend of mine had his EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 die (no other parts were impacted), he's gotten it fixed using the RMA process, but has had it sitting around for a year or so and has given it to me for free.

Would it be wise to use it in a new build?

Kind regards,

Eong

If EVGA fixed it themselves, presumably it's up to a decent level of quality.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD聽- Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need?Seasonic Focus thread,聽Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explained,聽group reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Eong said:

Hey 馃憢

A friend of mine had his EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 die (no other parts were impacted), he's gotten it fixed using the RMA process, but has had it sitting around for a year or so and has given it to me for free.

Would it be wise to use it in a new build?

Kind regards,

Eong

Main Computer - Tempest

Manjaro Linux ||||聽 Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3聽 ||||聽 GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER聽聽 ||||聽 16GB DDR3-1866聽聽 ||||聽 Asus H97-Plus聽聽 ||||聽 EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

500GB Samung 840EVO |聽 240GB Sandisk SSD Plus | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

HTPC - Kralkatorrik

Linux Mint聽聽 ||||聽聽 Intel Core i3-4170聽聽 ||||聽聽 GeForce GTX 750 Ti聽聽 ||||聽聽 8GB DDR3-1333聽聽 ||||聽聽 Asus B85M-E聽聽 ||||聽聽 Antec Signature 650W

120GB SSD

Laptop - Dell Latitude E4130

Linux Mint聽 ||| 聽 Intel Core i5-520m 聽 ||| 聽 8GB DDR3L-1333 聽 ||| 聽 152000mAh Custom Battery

120GB SSD

Minecraft Server - Dell Optiplex 790

Ubuntu Server LTS 18.04 聽 |||聽聽 Intel Core i5-2400聽聽 |||聽聽 8GB DDR3-1600

8GB SATA SSD (for OS) | 250GB WD Black 7200RPM (for server files) | 1TB WD Blue 5400RPM (incremental backups)

Posted Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

If EVGA fixed it themselves, presumably it's up to a decent level of quality.

Yes EVGA fixed it, he just wasn't bothered waiting for it to arrive so bought another one.

2 hours ago, Eong said:

Yes EVGA fixed it, he just wasn't bothered waiting for it to arrive so bought another one.

I seriously doubt they fixed it.

They sent a PSU with the same serial number back to him?

Posted Original PosterOP
50 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I seriously doubt they fixed it.

They sent a PSU with the same serial number back to him?

Why the doubt?

Posted · Best Answer
43 minutes ago, Eong said:

Why the doubt?

Because it costs almost as much to repair a PSU (outside of China) than it does to build a new one (in China).

Even if it's just a fan swap, you're obligated to聽safety certification bodies to do at least Hi-Pot testing.聽 Typically a "refurbished" PSU is just a return that's been tested and deemed resell-able.

9 minutes ago, Eong said:

@jonnyGURU

It's not the same.

Posted Original PosterOP
Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Nothing on the PSU indicates that it is a refurb unit, actually look pretty fresh.