Which motherboard?

Hey 👋

I'm in the market for a motherboard to pair with the PC parts listed below (still deciding on my GPU).

I have selected a few and they all are in tier C for the Motherboard Tier List v2, which one would you suggest I get or would you suggest something else?

Motherboards: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/jcYQzy,BHBhP6,CXvqqs/

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (Purchased For £0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler  (Purchased For £0.00)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£68.02 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£27.49)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£54.78 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower Case  (£62.07)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For £0.00)
Total: £212.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-31 13:38 BST+0100

Kind regards,

Eong

you really aren't going to notice a difference between these motherboards. They have the same features, the same overclocking capabilities, and even the same BIOS because they're all from MSI.

Pick the one that you think looks the nicest, or the cheapest.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, 5x5 said:

None of those. Wait a week and get B550

Oh, I did not know they were releasing B550 motherboards, my PC case is arriving in 2 weeks so I can hold off I guess.

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

None of those. Wait a week and get B550

I've just checked AMDs website and it seems that the 2600 CPUs are not supported.

I would say neither, if the budget is tight.

Spend 75 pounds on an Asrock B450M Pro4 : https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dQgzK8/asrock-b450m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro4

It's good enough for up to a 3900x (12 core Ryzen), if you'll choose to upgrade in the future.

Spend the difference on a better SSD (A400 is shit) or maybe put it towards a better video card.

Or wait for B550 , sell your 2600 and get a 3600 or 3700x  ... but b550 boards will be a bit expensive at least for a couple of weeks after launch

21 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I would say neither, if the budget is tight.

Spend 75 pounds on an Asrock B450M Pro4 : https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dQgzK8/asrock-b450m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro4

It's good enough for up to a 3900x (12 core Ryzen), if you'll choose to upgrade in the future.

Spend the difference on a better SSD (A400 is shit) or maybe put it towards a better video card.

Or wait for B550 , sell your 2600 and get a 3600 or 3700x  ... but b550 boards will be a bit expensive at least for a couple of weeks after launch

The hassle of selling my 2600 is something I'd rather not bother with.

Is this board the same as the one you linked, but just an ATX version? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/PCKcCJ/asrock-b450-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-pro4

50 minutes ago, Eong said:

Hey 👋

I'm in the market for a motherboard to pair with the PC parts listed below (still deciding on my GPU).

I have selected a few and they all are in tier C for the Motherboard Tier List v2, which one would you suggest I get or would you suggest something else?

Motherboards: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/jcYQzy,BHBhP6,CXvqqs/

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (Purchased For £0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler  (Purchased For £0.00)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£68.02 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£27.49)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£54.78 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower Case  (£62.07)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For £0.00)
Total: £212.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-31 13:38 BST+0100

Kind regards,

Eong

I've heard nothing but good things about the tomohawk so I'm sure it won't disappoint. However, as @Fasauceome stated, they're all good MSI boards, and if your on a tight budget the cheaper one will do the trick

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

6 minutes ago, Eong said:

The hassle of selling my 2600 is something I'd rather not bother with.

Is this board the same as the one you linked, but just an ATX version? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/PCKcCJ/asrock-b450-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-pro4

Yes, it's the same.  It's better, you get 8 sata connectors (but a few of them become disabled if you use the m.2 connectors) and you also get a better video output (displayport instead of dvi)  and a couple pci-e x1 slots.

Worth the 5 pounds extra.

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yes, it's the same.  It's better, you get 8 sata connectors (but a few of them become disabled if you use the m.2 connectors) and you also get a better video output (displayport instead of dvi)  and a couple pci-e x1 slots.

Worth the 5 pounds extra.

You mentioned that neither of the MSI boards were worth it if budget is tight, why is that? Do they not have features worth the extra £20-30?

4 hours ago, Eong said:

You mentioned that neither of the MSI boards were worth it if budget is tight, why is that? Do they not have features worth the extra £20-30?

They're fine if you want to combine them with a 3900x or do some heavy overclocking, and you have a tight budget.

Those MSI boards have some of the best VRMs among the B450 chipset boards and they support bios flashback (making easy to update the bios) and there's plenty of bios options for overclocking.

HOWEVER, they got a bit pricey because of favorable reviews and people constantly recommending them... especially the Tomohawk.

Besides the vrm, they all have same stuff, same ALC892 for audio, same realtek 8111 that's now probably 15+ years old

There's the MSI Mortar for example which feature wise, is much better, and vrm wise it's the same. You just don't see it recommended that much because it seems it's not imported into US or for some reason it's sold there less.

If you look at it, you can see it has 2 m.2 connectors, it has more usb connectors on the io shield, better connectors for integrated graphics (both tomohawk and gaming plus waste room on the io shield for dvi-d digital only, when nobody's gonna use dvi cable with max 2560x1600), has digital out on the io shield while the other msi boards don't...

The Asrock board I suggest is much cheaper and has just a bit less good VRM but still perfectly fine up to a 12 core Ryzen imho with overclocking even, it just doesn't have as extensive memory support as those MSI boards (but with 2600 you don't need more than 3200 Mhz anyway) and maybe less overclocking options in bios. Other than that, same audio, same network, 2 m.2 connectors, plenty of usb on the io shield of all types you could need etc etc

With a 2600 that barely consumes 80-100 watts, even when overclocking, there's some cheaper motherboards that have much better features, but they just have a cheaper VRM which may need additional cooling (in the form of a fan blowing some air over the heatsink for example) when you use high power processors like a 12 core or 16 core processor.

For example, have a look at Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO : https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/XhZFf7/gigabyte-b450-aorus-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-aorus-pro

Instead of paying 114 pounds for a Tomohawk you could pay 107 pounds for the above board, and you get better onboard sound in the form of ALC1220 chip,  you get a slightly higher quality Intel network card onboard, you get 2 M.2 connectors WITH heatsinks, you get THREE pci-e x16 slots nicely spaced so you could have 2 thick video cards without blocking slots, you have enough usb connectors on io shield (sucks that no type c but good enough) , digital output, 7.1 ..

So much more value for money and like i said, perfectly fine for a 2600 even overclocked, or up to 8 core processors with minimal or no overclocking ... if using 3900x or something bigger, additional cooling is recommended but at that point, you'd probably already move to a x570 board.